q2 monochrome

1 hour ago, FrozenInTime said:

A filter wheel built into the lens ... like that on the 15mm R but giving a multispectral Q camera  e.g. IR only pass, UV-cut , Yellow , Green. 

Why not UV pass?

I am not sure why would Leica launch a Q2 monochrome. As it is, the Q series with its fixed lens is a niche product. If they limit it to monochrome as well, it becomes an even more restrictive proposition (not true of the M mono since you can change lenses on that one). If one NEEDS a monochrome camera, Leica still owns that market with the M which lures a customer into the brand and still gives them the potential for more sales, i.e. lenses, which the Q2 monochrome would not. It would make a lot more sense (to me anyway) to have another q with a different lens, i.e. a 35 or 50 or 90., but ymmv:)

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A limited edition Q2 is coming out.  Much easier way for Leica to make money than a monochrome Q2.

But if a Q2 monochrome is considered, color filter would be top.  Some way to make it convenient to make it easier to change color filters, which is a must for monochrome cameras/films  There have been multiple threads on whether to use Q/Q2 lens hood, which is very nice but make filter change impossible.  There are cameras with built-in ND filters.  Wondering if that's possible for Q cameras, with limited color options (R, Y, G, perhaps).

At end of the day, Q2 has plenty of resolution to convert and downsample into nice BW photos. Q2 monochrome will be awesome, but probably limited customer base. 

I don’t think a monochrome version of the Q is at all likely, but if they were to release one why would it be anything other than, you guessed it, a Q2 with a monochrome sensor? Just leave off the Bayer array, simplify the processing to treat all pixels as monochrome and you are done.

The rumours of a mono version of the Q2 persist, with the Leica Rumors site now forecasting its launch in the first quarter of 2021. 

I can imagine that a mono Q2, paired with an M10 Monochrom fitted with a 50mm lens would be a fantastic combination for someone truly dedicated to black and white photography.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2020 at 5:57 AM, jaapv said:

Actually, all the counter-arguments above to a Q2 Monochrom were trotted out when there were rumours of an M9 Monochrom flying about. l'Histoire se répète? 

Perhaps I’m wrong? My wife and kids would tell you that happens a lot :)

• Like 1

The M10M and M10R are both priced at $8300 USD.  If Leica were to offer a Q2 and a Q2 Mono at $5000 USD for either, that could be a good move; it would be a more affordable entry into the Leica world than purchasing an M10M and a 28mm lens for it.  $5000 USD is still out of reach for a lot of photographers, though.

The Leica CL with Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH lens is now priced at $3000 USD which is an excellent price, considering what this combo has to offer; it seems that Leica is attempting to extend an olive branch to photographers who are put off by Leica's price structure, which is a good thing. 

It seems inevitable that a Q2 Mono would cannibalize a percentage of M10 Monochrome sales.  Not sure if the Pooh-bahs at Wetzlar would agree to letting that happen, but IMHO the M10 Mono is such a revolutionary M camera that it will always stand on its own two feet regardless of losing a few sales to a Q2 Mono "little brother."

JMHO but I can't see a down side to offering lower priced options for entry into the world of Leica. 

Perhaps rather than a Q2 Mono, a CL Mono?

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

Depending on the sensor, a Q2 Mono might be a less expensive way to experience a true monochrome camera. What if it had the M10M sensor? The Q2 is such a nice size and UI and with IS and AF. It could be a gateway camera before someone moves up or buys in addition to an M10M. I tend to think it’s a reasonable way to add more Leica users and try and later extend them to the M10’s, SL’s and S cameras. 

• Like 2

Leica Guy,   I agree with you.  I think a lot of photographers would go for a Q2 Monochrom.  A B&W Q2 would have the same superb fixed lens, cropping for various focal lengths, AF, macro, etc.  It would be great for street photography and landscape photographers who want DNGs vs JPEGs.  The color Q2 is great, but there are many of us photographers who long for a B&W Q camera.  I use the M10-M and R for my business and Q2 for personal work.  These are great for different genres of photography.  But a B&W Q2...for me, would be a superb tool and afford a fast, easy to carry, low profile, B&W only camera.  Last, I find many of my clients who purchase street photographs, overwhelming lean to B&W...because the rendering is "different".  My AMEX card is ready...LOL. r/ Mark   

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, vedivv said:

At end of the day, Q2 has plenty of resolution to convert and downsample into nice BW photos. Q2 monochrome will be awesome, but probably limited customer base. 

I agree.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2020 at 7:31 PM, FrozenInTime said:

A filter wheel built into the lens ... like that on the 15mm R but giving a multispectral Q camera  e.g. IR only pass, UV-cut , Yellow , Green. 

If Leica can do it. I will buy it instantly 

M Monochroms shine with colour filters 

23 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Will it cost 1K€ more ? 5990€ will be hard to swallow. 
Will it use the already available in Monochrom 40MP sensor from M10-M ? Or will Leica develop a new version of 47MP, but bayerless. 

We are getting ahead of ourselves here.

There is no indication that this camera will be made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1