q2 monochrome

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Giguchan said:

Speaking of filters...  do we know what size  filter thread?  Maybe the same size  as the Q2? I love shooting with filters.

3 hours ago, nameBrandon said:

They won't change the lens.. 49mm filters. You do probably want to get the Lim's hood which allows you to change filters while the hood stays in place (hood uses other threads, filters the inner threads). I believe that technically the stock hood allows this, but ingress and room around the side of the filters is extremely tight making it a frustrating effort. 

But wouldn't it be cool if they surprised us with a 35mm lens? Not going to happen, but sure would add some nice diversity to owning both Q and QM.

When I know I'm going to shoot with a filter on the Q, I either remove the protective filter and leave the other filter on all day, or I ditch the hood completely if I'm going to be swapping filters around. If I get the Monochrom, I will probably use a red filter as my protective filter and leave it on all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

But wouldn't it be cool if they surprised us with a 35mm lens? Not going to happen, but sure would add some nice diversity to owning both Q and QM.

When I know I'm going to shoot with a filter on the Q, I either remove the protective filter and leave the other filter on all day, or I ditch the hood completely if I'm going to be swapping filters around. If I get the Monochrom, I will probably use a red filter as my protective filter and leave it on all the time.

I was thinking the same but with an orange filter.

100% argree.. I would love the see the QM with the 35 Summilux... we could get 30+MP 50mm crops as well! One can dream..

• Like 2

On 10/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, nameBrandon said:

They won't change the lens.. 49mm filters. You do probably want to get the Lim's hood which allows you to change filters while the hood stays in place (hood uses other threads, filters the inner threads). I believe that technically the stock hood allows this, but ingress and room around the side of the filters is extremely tight making it a frustrating effort. 

Lims Hood...  I'll look into this.  I already have the Thorsten Von Overgaard  Hood.  I can tell you that trying to screw on a Filter while using the stock Hood on is a royal Pain in the rear end

Thanks!!

On 10/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, nameBrandon said:

I forgot to ask..  Do you know how the Lims  works VS the Thorston   model?  I mean they're built to do the same thing.

Thanks.

Sadly, in France we are in lockdown again.  French Leica stores are closed. Every events for Q2 Monochrom launch cancelled. 
Won’t be able to try it before December at best. Or in 2021 in worst case scenario. 
It should be the same for UK. 

What a bummer 

Edited by nicci78

On 9/11/2020 at 11:35 PM, Leica Guy said:

Depending on the sensor, a Q2 Mono might be a less expensive way to experience a true monochrome camera. What if it had the M10M sensor? The Q2 is such a nice size and UI and with IS and AF. It could be a gateway camera before someone moves up or buys in addition to an M10M. I tend to think it’s a reasonable way to add more Leica users and try and later extend them to the M10’s, SL’s and S cameras. 

Quite unlikely. The sensor would be small-series, thus far more expensive and the R&D amortized over far  fewer cameras. A monochrom will most likely be substantially more. expensive.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:57 PM, nicci78 said:

A very nice scanned 6x6 can yield into 70MP. M10 Monochrom is around the equivalent of 81MP. 

I really like the extreme sharpness of Monochrom cameras. And the infinite ability to post process their DNG. 
Can’t wait for 93MP equivalent Q2 Monochrom with clean 50K ISO. 

I think I agree with those broad numbers, I’ve got a lot of drum scans done off Delta 100 and Acros taken on a Mamiya 7 with its very sharp lenses .....and to my eyes, the resolved detail in the prints at 50-60” wide feels very similar in resolution to what I now see off the M 10M.  Clearly you have to hunt into the grain to see some of these fine details off the Mamiya. I also shoot 5x4 with those same lower speed films .... i find the main benefit of large format film over the already super-sharp Mamiya 7 is partly resolution, but it is more to do with much smoother tonal gradients and very minimal grain. Given the relative noise free cleanliness of the M 10M files helping the tonal depth, together with the high acuity, I find that the “look” of test prints I’ve done with the M10M feel somewhere between the 120 film and 5x4 film (but closer to the latter) at that very large print size. That i even think that is something I find extraordinary, considering it’s such a small camera.

Finally, I do find it much easier to get a print that looks more “analogue” from the Monochrom cameras compared to any Bayer sensor cameras .....I really don’t know why that is? Maybe something resulting from the Bayer processing causes something to jar my eyes and allow me to know “it’s digital”, whereas the output from the Monochrom looks less processed, more smooth and hence more “filmic” (to my eyes at least) due to no Bayer processing?

• Like 1