24mm 2.8, 3.8

Rockrug

Not exactly.

Having spent 5 years as a surgical photographer - and having used the 24 Elmarit briefly - the term made sense to me.

An image that recorded reality as clearly, distinctly and accurately as possible, with no interpretation (except that chosen by the photographer). "The thing itself," as Edward Weston put it. Scientifically unambiguous - which is how the docs wanted to show things, for research publications or to inform their students.

I wouldn't call that lacking character. It is one kind of character, as compared with romantic, nostalgic or some other character. The driest of dry wine, compared to a sweet Chadonnay or a full-bodied Chianti.

• Like 4

I bought the 24 Elmarit-asph to serve as a 35-eff with my M8 way back then.  I'm glad I did.  I discovered what Puts (as well as Sean Reid) had noticed, that it has a very bright clear rendering of the middle tones and colors under relatively even lighting.  The effect can be "jaw-dropping."  I use it on my M10 or M10-D in high people-density situations, which I hope we have again someday.  With the rangefinde for accurate focus and an optical or VF020 finder for framing, it is an easy lens to use.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Rockrug said:

I am not sure what people mean by "clinical" (perhaps lacking character?), but I do appreciate everyone's input.

Brian

As mentioned, the lens doesn't add or remove anything and when that is a bad thing the lens is clinical. When it is a good thing it's called transparent as in "the 50 APO Summicron is so transparent" :)

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To my understanding for lenses we use the term "clinical" for extreme precision in rendering the subject detail, without leaving any room to our visual memory to complete our understanding of the subject. As such , in some cases the degree of detail can be overwhelming and disturbing versus what we want to express. I believe the Apo Summicron, and some Karbe designs could reach these levels. This is not exactly what I have seen from my Elmarit. I fully agree with the extreme clarity of the tones and clarity of the drawing but in terms of rendering overwhelming detail it is not its style. In fact I really like how this lens draws, renders the colours and provides enough detail without this "busyness" of unnecessary detail.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

On 6/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, Schittra said:

I went to the store. He has 24mm Elmar, Elmarit and Summilux. I personally like image rendering of Summilux or Summicron more than Elmarit. I had experience getting 90 Elmarit for a couple of day and replaced by Summicron APO. 

Back to 24mm, I like ergonomic of Elmarit the most. Summilux is big - definitely, but not that bad on M10 - better than Summicron 90. It works perfectly on SL. Price wise, Summilux is three time price of Elmarit. Both Elmarit and Summilux are already discontinued, from my understanding (correct me if I am wrong).

Then I spent another 20 minutes in total to mount Elmarit and Summilux on M10, walked around the store and took photo in all distances I can.

After back and forth between these two lenses, I bought this lens back home.... the box itself is special enough...

24mm can cover interesting FOV but at f/1.4 can give interesting DOF too. It gives alternative option of street photography to shoot flowers in addition to people or building.

Love the lens.

• Like 5

On 6/5/2020 at 11:51 PM, Kl@usW. said:

As my interest shifted to landscape and architecture, and I'm mainly doing this nowadays, and on film, I made the strange discovery that it is not possible to use filters plus a sunshade  on the Elmarit. 

K. 

This is only partially true. Multiple filters yes, but 1 filter fits with the original hood.

Edited by Stein K S
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 11:51 PM, Kl@usW. said:

... .  As my interest shifted to landscape and architecture, and I'm mainly doing this nowadays, and on film, I made the strange discovery that it is not possible to use filters plus a sunshade  on the Elmarit. I even called the customer service because I couldn't believe it. But yes, you can't use a filter and a sunshade at the same time on the Elmarit.  ...

Klaus, your statement is wrong - and right. Filters can be used with the sunshade on - I do it all the time - but some filters have rather thick metal frames, those won't fit.

On 6/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, Kl@usW. said:

As my interest shifted to landscape and architecture, and I'm mainly doing this nowadays, and on film, I made the strange discovery that it is not possible to use filters plus a sunshade  on the Elmarit. I even called the customer service because I couldn't believe it. But yes, you can't use a filter and a sunshade at the same time on the Elmarit.  To keep it simple, I sold the Elmarit silver chrome for a quite good price and bought the Elmar E 46.... nothing left to wish too. Very sharp, compact..lovely. So, if you do mainly family, street and available light on a digital body, the Elmarit seems the logic decision. If you need the filter option, the Elmar is your choice. 

K. 

Sure you can. I routinely have a K2 filter (a B+W, and not one of their slim filters) on my Elmarit, with the shade on it. It's a tight fit, but nowhere near impossible.

Edited by Chuck Albertson

Am 17.6.2020 um 22:18 schrieb Chuck Albertson:

Sure you can. I routinely have a K2 filter (a B+W, and not one of their slim filters) on my Elmarit, with the shade on it. It's a tight fit, but nowhere near impossible.

Am 17.6.2020 um 14:36 schrieb lct:

My Leica and Heliopan UV/IR filters fit perfectly with the 24/3.8's hood. JFI.

no problem with the 3,8--I know. I was talking of the 2,8/24 Elmarit

Am 17.6.2020 um 07:39 schrieb christoph_d:

Klaus, your statement is wrong - and right. Filters can be used with the sunshade on - I do it all the time - but some filters have rather thick metal frames, those won't fit.

Am 17.6.2020 um 07:13 schrieb Stein K S:

This is only partially true. Multiple filters yes, but 1 filter fits with the original hood.

Chuck, Christoph, K S; thank you for your experience. I tried both Leica filters and Heliopan--both didn't work because they obstructed the  two notches on the lens--but these notches are needed to hold the sunshade... . I called Leica because I thought I was simply too stupid; that´s the  reply of the very helpful guy on the hotline who wasn't  aware of the problem but cared to ask : 

Nach Rücksprache mit unseren Objektiv-Servicetechnikern wurde mir mitgeteilt das eine zeitgleiche Nutzung

der Gegenlichtblende und eines Filters bei diesem Modell nicht vorgesehen ist.

Von der Bauhöhe haben wir leider keine Filter im Programm welche genutzt werden könnten so dass die Gegenlichtblende noch montiert werden kann.

Leider kann ich Ihnen auch keinen Alternativen Hersteller nennen. Mit einem Filter der etwa ohne Gewinde 2 mm hoch ist sollte es gehen.

Mir und meinen Kollegen ist keine Hersteller bekannt der solche niedrigen Bauhöhen anbietet.

So if your filter is under 2mm it may be feasible. I sold my chrome Elmarit 6 bit and am now very happy with the  3,8... Maybe I´ll return to street photography one day and get another copy of the 2,8 Elmarit ( which rendering wise is superb indeed) 

K. 

PS: if you click on the examples, you get the full upload details--both lenses are really good. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Thanks 1

Example of the 3,8/24

MP, 3,8/24; Delta 100, yellow or orange filter.

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 2

Example Elmarit ( no filter 😁

2,8/24 on a M 9 Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 6:49 PM, Rockrug said:

Hi. I currently shoot an M10 with a 35mm summicron. I am looking to add a 24mm lens and I see that Leica currently makes a Summilux and Elmar version of the lens. I don't want to lux version for a couple of reasons (size and price) so I'm looking at the Elmar version (f/3.8). But then I noticed that Leica used to make a Elmarit 2.8 version, but discontinued it. So, here are my questions: Is the 2.8 version good and why did Leica stop making it? If price wasn't an issue, why would I want the 3.8 version over the 2.8? 

Thanks.

Brian
Los Angeles, CA

It is my understanding that Leica is discontinuing both 24 mm lenses (Summilux and Elmar) in the M mount.   B&H are listing both as discontinued.  You might want to call various Leica stores in the United States and see if they have any demo / display models in stock.   The Elmar version is very sharp and nice contrast.   If you are mainly using this for landscapes the Elmar is a great lens that is easy to carry around all day.  

9 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Example Elmarit ( no filter 😁

2,8/24 on a M 9

I opened a topic related to 21mm lenses...but must confess 24mm Elmarit seems also a very nice wide angle option.

Thank you for photo example. If you have other photos taken with this lens I will be glad to see them.

10 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Chuck, Christoph, K S; thank you for your experience. I tried both Leica filters and Heliopan--both didn't work because they obstructed the  two notches on the lens--but these notches are needed to hold the sunshade... . I called Leica because I thought I was simply too stupid; that´s the  reply of the very helpful guy on the hotline who wasn't  aware of the problem but cared to ask : 

Nach Rücksprache mit unseren Objektiv-Servicetechnikern wurde mir mitgeteilt das eine zeitgleiche Nutzung

der Gegenlichtblende und eines Filters bei diesem Modell nicht vorgesehen ist.

Von der Bauhöhe haben wir leider keine Filter im Programm welche genutzt werden könnten so dass die Gegenlichtblende noch montiert werden kann.

Leider kann ich Ihnen auch keinen Alternativen Hersteller nennen. Mit einem Filter der etwa ohne Gewinde 2 mm hoch ist sollte es gehen.

Mir und meinen Kollegen ist keine Hersteller bekannt der solche niedrigen Bauhöhen anbietet.

So if your filter is under 2mm it may be feasible. I sold my chrome Elmarit 6 bit and am now very happy with the  3,8... Maybe I´ll return to street photography one day and get another copy of the 2,8 Elmarit ( which rendering wise is superb indeed) 

K. 

Hi and thanks! I am not that strong in german. But anyway; now I get it. I`ll be aware for the future. The diameter of my original UVa filter is somewhat smaller than the front of the lens and this lets the nobs in the hood pass when mounting. To me it seems that Leica by purpose made the front diameter of the 24 wider for this reason; other Lieca filters of mine are pretty much ¨flush¨ with the lenses.

Exactly the same case then with the 21 Elmarit asph.

12 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

no problem with the 3,8--I know. I was talking of the 2,8/24 Elmarit

I don't understand the problem then. The Elmarit 24/2.8 asph was sold with the 12592 clip-on hood, the same as that of the Elmarit 21/2.8 asph in my book. It should fit E55 Leica filters the same way as the latter then. I may be missing something though...

Edited by lct

vor 10 Stunden schrieb lct:

I don't understand the problem then. The Elmarit 24/2.8 asph was sold with the 12592 clip-on hood, the same as that of the Elmarit 21/2.8 asph in my book. It should fit E55 Leica filters the same way as the latter then. I may be missing something though...

ICT, of course there is that internal thread for E55... if you screw in a filter, it will prevent the notches of the clip on shade from slipping  in the two grooves on the front ring of the lens. These notches  apparently are meant to prevent the shade from rotating--but it prevents also the simultaneous use of filter and shade. That's what Leica wrote to me. It's deliberate... Maybe you can overcome this with a very slim filter and some force... 

Edited by Kl@usW.