24mm 2.8, 3.8

Rockrug

vor 7 Stunden schrieb lct:

I have not the 24/3.8 with me but i'm confident it works the same way as 21/3.4 asph or 35/1.4 FLE lenses i.e. unscrew the hood, screw the filter onto the lens then rescrew the hood.

I have the 24/3,8 with me --you are correct of course. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Malabito said:

Can't go wrong with the 24mm elmar, its small, sharp corner to corner, lovely lens. Yes i wish it was faster, but 3,8 on a m10 is not that terrible... some images below with the m10:

Malabito, I have sometimes considered selling mine. You've done a great job of reminding me not to do so. Thank you 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/15/2020 at 9:04 PM, Malabito said:

Cant go wrong with the 24mm elmar, its small, sharp corner to corner, lovely lens. Yes i wish it was faster, but 3,8 on a m10 is not that terrible... some images below with the m10:

M240:

and on a pana s1:

Very Nice pictures !

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Ive been pouring over this thread to help solve my dilemma regarding which 24mm to retain. Im new to M10m and M10r, although i had Ms and Slr Rs in the distant past. 

i had the 24 Elmarit and its a great lens. Somehow i think i should stay a little newer, a little smaller, and and my lust for the 28v2 and 24 Elmar began. Purchasing the purchased the 21 SEM didn't help my quest. 

So people, whats the verdict on the Elmar? As good as the Elmarit? Is spoed an issue? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own the Elmar and have used the Elmarit, Both worked great. In my opinion, the Elmar gives a slightly sharper and higher contrast image than the Elmarit, this may or may not be a plus for you. It has lower distortion too which is a big plus for me but I cannot say that the Elmarit had any more looking at pics, it seemed fine too. It is also smaller and eats into the ovf a fair bit less. I use the Elmar predominately in the daytime and have not really found the f3.8 to be a hindrance on my m10r as I tend to want a lot of depth of field with this lens and usually shoot it at f8, YMMV but with an M10M you should be ok unless you have zero tolerance for noise. 

• Like 2

Thank you for replying.

I don't mind noise, but that might just double ISO, which may be impactful. I’m just now getting able to shoot quicker and more open, and don’t want to miss those shallow 2.8 dof opportunities. (Had a great day with f2 isolation on both a 50 and 90 APO— lately I’ve been fast street shooting, hyperfocused at 5.6-8.) The only saving thought is “what dof at 2.8 v 3.8?”. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MacDougall said:

Thank you for replying.

I don't mind noise, but that might just double ISO, which may be impactful. I’m just now getting able to shoot quicker and more open, and don’t want to miss those shallow 2.8 dof opportunities. (Had a great day with f2 isolation on both a 50 and 90 APO— lately I’ve been fast street shooting, hyperfocused at 5.6-8.) The only saving thought is “what dof at 2.8 v 3.8?”. 

To achieve a shallow depth of field with a 24mm you would have to be really close to your subject and even then, it is subtle. Absolutely f2.8 will give you more creative choice for a shallow depth of field but it's a question about what is important for you, what compromises are you willing to accept based on the way you shoot and what you prioritise. A portrait below at minimum focus wide open to give you an idea of what to expect with the Elmar.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by costa43
  • Like 6

It would be nice if the background was a tad more blurred, but it’s nice as is. I doubt 1 stop more open would have a great impact. I’ll just have to get that Summilux 28 🤣

You’re right— it’s trade-offs. I really like the form factor of the Elmar, and the newer design (over the already wonderful Elmarit) makes me feel it’s more appropriate for higher res sensors.

I don’t see myself ever going to M11s so I’ll stop with this generation of lenses— I have the 21 SEM, 28 Cron v1 (going for a v2 someday soon I hope), etc. —all from 10 years ago. 

The Elmarit was (is?) such a classic, it’s hard to think there’s a replacement, especially when the replacement is a stop slower. 

Thanks for your help— I solidified my trade of the Elmarit to the Elmar. I didn’t have any wants from the Elmarit (except the hood, which is a stupid reason), but after playing with the Elmar for a bit, it seems to have all the positive qualities of the Elmarit (some may disagree) with a ton of added sharpness in the corners. The Elmar is amazing at f4, whereas the Elmarit starts goodness there— optically amazing at 5.6. Not that the Elmarit isn’t great wide open, it is, but at f4 the Elmar blows me away with sharpness without being sterile. I may miss the extra stop on dim occasions, but I’ll be happier with that wide open, while enjoying the size and weight every day. 

• Like 3

On 3/6/2024 at 11:50 PM, MacDougall said:

It would be nice if the background was a tad more blurred, but it’s nice as is. I doubt 1 stop more open would have a great impact. I’ll just have to get that Summilux 28 🤣

Why buy a wide lens and then blur the most of it? If one does do portraits with a 24mm, I would expect one would like to show environmental content with it. Otherwise one could just take a 85/1.4. 

The strength of the elmar is its (lack off) distortion, which is nice for close up portraits. F3.8 is more than enough for the m10m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Why buy a wide lens and then blur the most of it? If one does do portraits with a 24mm, I would expect one would like to show environmental content with it. Otherwise one could just take a 85/1.4. 

The strength of the elmar is its (lack off) distortion, which is nice for close up portraits. F3.8 is more than enough for the m10m.

Fair point. 1 stop wouldn’t do much to kill a bkgd at 24mm, which is both of our points. You’re absolutely correct, but I was speaking less of an environmental portrait use and more general oof effect. I looked at your example in terms general use.

Edited by MacDougall
Off topic

Am 5.3.2024 um 01:38 schrieb MacDougall:

... what's the verdict on the Elmar? As good as the Elmarit? Is speed an issue? 

Speed may be an issue on film but is not on digital with Leica M10 and M11 due to their excellent high-ISO performance.

According to my personal experience, the Elmar-M 24 mm Asph technically is the slightly (SLIGHTLY!) sharper lens between f/3.8 and f/4.8 but also vignettes slightly more which I am rather allergic to. It also is significantly smaller (filter size E46) which I like. The Elmarit-M 24 mm Asph, however, has a more charming rendition which is the primary reason why I, considering all pros and cons, prefer it over the Elmar.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Nice to read. I’ve heard that the Elmarit has more depth mid-frame than the Elmar. You couldn’t prove it by me. What is obvious, are the razor sharp corners wide-open and deep, rich color palette. 

Personally, I already made the decision to trade to the newer Elmar. I made the swap a couple of weeks ago, but alerted my dealer that I may want to nullify the trade, but let that lapse. (It sat on my monochrome in Hong Kong while I went to Japan and shot color.) Up until today, I was thinking it might’ve been a mistake. 

On my M10R and M10M, the Elmarit was flawless with rendering similar to my 28 Summicron v1. 

I used the Elmar on M10R the last few days. I find the entire image to be Amazing—color better than I recall on the Elmarit and better depth overall, especially mid-image. On the M10R, the Elmar seems to really shine—basically I was blown away. If the M10M had a color sister this pair would be it for me—sharpness, fullness, depth and saturation. (this moves my 21 SEM and 28 summicron, filtered, to the M10M kit.)

Edited by MacDougall
Clarity