24mm 2.8, 3.8

Rockrug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. I currently shoot an M10 with a 35mm summicron. I am looking to add a 24mm lens and I see that Leica currently makes a Summilux and Elmar version of the lens. I don't want to lux version for a couple of reasons (size and price) so I'm looking at the Elmar version (f/3.8). But then I noticed that Leica used to make a Elmarit 2.8 version, but discontinued it. So, here are my questions: Is the 2.8 version good and why did Leica stop making it? If price wasn't an issue, why would I want the 3.8 version over the 2.8? 

Thanks.

Brian
Los Angeles, CA

The Elmar-M is a newer optical design, better resolution than the Elmarit-M and a bit more compact (smaller filter size, anyway). But it was recently discontinued as well, so don't muck about finding one. I never sold my Elmarit-M, it's an excellent lens. But they are a bit hard to find these days.

• Like 3

Read Erwin Put's review link

I have the 24 ASPH Elmarit-M and am very satisfied with it.

On my M10 I use the entire finder to frame the picture, with verticals leaving some room at the edges of the frame

so as not to lose details when you have to straighten things post-processing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rockrug said:

Is the 2.8 version good and why did Leica stop making it?

At one point the 24mm f/2.8 ASPH was a signature M lens - the lens for which Erwin Puts (see above) first introduced the term "clinical," in his original full review.

Mostly the reason Leica discontinued it was that they were reorganizing the lens line to split almost every focal length into two versions: small/less expensive - and fast/pricey.

The f/3.8 Elmar was more compact than the 2.8 (E46 filters vs E55) - and the Summilux was 2 stops faster (and could sell, Leica hoped, for at least twice the price). And three different 24s would have been a bit much.

Edited by adan
  • Like 2

I had the original 24 Elmarit when it first came out. I sold, always regret selling a Leica lens, for much needed cash at the time. Acquired the 3.8 Elmar a few years ago. It is an excellent lens, better than the Elmarit and a bit smaller. I could never justify the 1.4 on the basis of cost or size. Another excellent choice is the Zeiss 25/2.8 ZM. I have this one as well. Absolutely razor sharp, incredible lens. I know, I have too many lenses!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, derleicaman said:

I had the original 24 Elmarit when it first came out. I sold, always regret selling a Leica lens, for much needed cash at the time. Acquired the 3.8 Elmar a few years ago. It is an excellent lens, better than the Elmarit and a bit smaller. I could never justify the 1.4 on the basis of cost or size. Another excellent choice is the Zeiss 25/2.8 ZM. I have this one as well. Absolutely razor sharp, incredible lens. I know, I have too many lenses!

Except size and price, what made you feel Elmar is better than Elmarit?

2 hours ago, Schittra said:

Except size and price, what made you feel Elmar is better than Elmarit?

I never tested them back to back, too many years in between owning them. From reading reviews and Puts, the 3.8 Elmar has better specs and a smaller, more compact size. 46mm filters easier to deal with too. I would also seriously consider the Zeiss 25/2.8 ZM. Every bit as good as the Elmar.

• Like 2

I too had the original 24 Elmarit, and to me it was far too clinical, and I just couldn't get my head around it...at the time I was more interested in less distortion and thought a rectilinear was the answer...it wasn't. It was me!

• Like 1

I used to own the Elmarit and sold it because I never really got to grips with it on the M9 - with or without external viewfinder. Before that I had the Zeiss 25mm, which I loved and should not have sold. I now have the Elmar, because I found a used copy at a good price, and have learnt to use it on an M10 without viewfinder or, if in doubt, with Liveview. In optical quality I guess the Elmar and Zeiss are both better, but IMO all three are excellent lenses for practical use, and all have very high build quality too.

I would pick the Elmar or the Zeiss because they are more compact. Then it comes down to cost and availability, and whether you prefer a blue or red dot. But if the size of the front lens and lens shade is no concern and you are offered an Elmarit Asph at a good price then why not give it a go? 

• Like 2

To me the 24 Elmarit is still one of the best lenses in the Leica scuderia. Perfect colour rendition with clear tones and a special signature in rendering which is definitely different than the most modern lenses. It is still very sharp and clean starting from full aperture. I do not have the Elmar but I have the SEM 21 which should be the same " rendering style" as the 24 Elmar. Are you looking for signature or pixel  precision. The Elmarit is well placed between the two with a wider aperture.It is true that the Elmarit is a bigger lens but all is relative.

• Like 2

I also had the 25mm Biogon before acquiring the 24 Elmarit and was very impressed with it.

The only thing that made me change was that the Elmarit was coded, something not really possible with the ZM.

You can try to code the ZM, but its over a screw in the mount and the paint always wears off, in my experience.

The coding really helps these lenses.  If its your only non-coded lens you can set an M10 to default to it.  If not, its a hassle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rick in CO said:

I also had the 25mm Biogon before acquiring the 24 Elmarit and was very impressed with it.

The only thing that made me change was that the Elmarit was coded, something not really possible with the ZM.

You can try to code the ZM, but its over a screw in the mount and the paint always wears off, in my experience.

The coding really helps these lenses.  If its your only non-coded lens you can set an M10 to default to it.  If not, its a hassle.

I have coded my Zeiss 25/2.8. I used a Dremel tool with a micro tip to make some small pits that are permanent. Coded as Leica Elmarit 24/2.8 it works great. No issues with Italian Flag

Edited by derleicaman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, newnew said:

To me the 24 Elmarit is still one of the best lenses in the Leica scuderia. Perfect colour rendition with clear tones and a special signature in rendering which is definitely different than the most modern lenses. It is still very sharp and clean starting from full aperture. I do not have the Elmar but I have the SEM 21 which should be the same " rendering style" as the 24 Elmar. Are you looking for signature or pixel  precision. The Elmarit is well placed between the two with a wider aperture.It is true that the Elmarit is a bigger lens but all is relative.

I love that question "Are you looking for signature or pixel  precision?". I had been hunting down the pixel precision since the starting of digital era. Until last few years, when I was in the market for Noctilux - comparing between 50/1.0 and 50/0.95. I found myself love the photo from 50/1.0 more than 50/0.95 - even though pixel precision is very obvious from 50/0.95.

I plan to get 24/2.8 this afternoon. Quite good price. To be frank, I want to see how I like this focal length first for a few week. I might opt for 24/1.4 though :) 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, derleicaman said:

I have coded my Zeiss 25/2.8. I used a Dremel tool with a micro tip to make some small pits that are permanent. Coded as Leica Elmarit 24/2.8 it works great. No issues with Italian Flag

How did you manage not to grind down the screw?

• Like 1

Just checked my ZM 2.8/25 lens - there is no screw in the coding area, see the photo. So, "engraving" should be feasible, or buy a flange with pits from Chinese ebay venders.

Left, Elmarit 2.8/28 ASPH, right Zeiss ZM Biogon 2.8/25

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I went to the store. He has 24mm Elmar, Elmarit and Summilux. I personally like image rendering of Summilux or Summicron more than Elmarit. I had experience getting 90 Elmarit for a couple of day and replaced by Summicron APO. 

Back to 24mm, I like ergonomic of Elmarit the most. Summilux is big - definitely, but not that bad on M10 - better than Summicron 90. It works perfectly on SL. Price wise, Summilux is three time price of Elmarit. Both Elmarit and Summilux are already discontinued, from my understanding (correct me if I am wrong).

Then I spent another 20 minutes in total to mount Elmarit and Summilux on M10, walked around the store and took photo in all distances I can.

After back and forth between these two lenses, I bought this lens back home.... the box itself is special enough...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Am 2.6.2020 um 00:49 schrieb Rockrug:

Hi. I currently shoot an M10 with a 35mm summicron. I am looking to add a 24mm lens and I see that Leica currently makes a Summilux and Elmar version of the lens. I don't want to lux version for a couple of reasons (size and price) so I'm looking at the Elmar version (f/3.8). But then I noticed that Leica used to make a Elmarit 2.8 version, but discontinued it. So, here are my questions: Is the 2.8 version good and why did Leica stop making it? If price wasn't an issue, why would I want the 3.8 version over the 2.8? 

Thanks.

Brian
Los Angeles, CA

In my opinion it depends where your main interest in photography is: I have used the 2,8/ 24 Elmarit for many years for street photography on film and digital bodies--a phantastic lens with no wishes left concerning sharpness, handling  or rendering. Clinical ?  I think that's an urban legend, I never noticed it. If you need a lot of glow or vignetting, go for an old Summaron 28 with some haze.... .  As my interest shifted to landscape and architecture, and I'm mainly doing this nowadays, and on film, I made the strange discovery that it is not possible to use filters plus a sunshade  on the Elmarit. I even called the customer service because I couldn't believe it. But yes, you can't use a filter and a sunshade at the same time on the Elmarit.  To keep it simple, I sold the Elmarit silver chrome for a quite good price and bought the Elmar E 46.... nothing left to wish too. Very sharp, compact..lovely. So, if you do mainly family, street and available light on a digital body, the Elmarit seems the logic decision. If you need the filter option, the Elmar is your choice. 

K. 

• Like 3