Thoughts on the 24mm/2.8 Elmarit?

jcatral14

I've had one for about 10 years and really like it on both film and digital M, and the SL. Quite sharp, flare is pretty well controlled. If you don't tilt your camera up or down, you won't experience much wide-angle distortion. They are popular as 35mm-equivalent on the M8, and that may be why you don't see them too often on the used market; I had more than a couple street offers to buy it from M8 owners. The newer Elmar-M f/3.8 is probably a better performer and is more compact.

• Like 1

The 24 Elmarit-M ASPH is the lens for which Leica lens reviewer Erwin Puts coined the term "clinical." Very contrasty and very sharp and very "stark," like a built-in "Clarity" filter. Paved the way for the 28 Summicron ASPH and 21 Elmarit ASPH.

IMHE slightly better than the f/3.8 in pure definition in the center (the Elmar improves on the Elmarit in the corners). But almost too stark for my taste.

Produces very strong "stars" around, say, bright street lights at night.

Below is about the only remaining 24 Elmarit image in my collection (like pixelman, I am more of a 21/28/35 guy, myself) - made on Pan F film with an E55 close-up lens to move in tight.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

Thank you for your comments. I rarely see them on the used market but they do come up. Just have to be patient. I believe the black is more common than the chrome version.

I have a WATE and a 28 Summaron so this lens would fit nicely in between and be a tad faster. I think it'll be great as a street lens 🙂

Thanks again and HAGWE!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, jcatral14 said:

Thank you for your comments. I rarely see them on the used market but they do come up. Just have to be patient. I believe the black is more common than the chrome version.

I have a WATE and a 28 Summaron so this lens would fit nicely in between and be a tad faster. I think it'll be great as a street lens 🙂

Thanks again and HAGWE!

If you're in the States, Glazer's in Seattle currently has one in their used department: https://www.glazerscamera.com/used-items/used-lenses/used-rangefinder-lens-accessories

• Thanks 1

I used one on my M8 where I really liked it. On full frame I couldn't get on with it preferring wider or narrower like Adan. That said its a very competent performer and if you like the 24mm focal length its a good lens Prices seem similar used to the f/3.8 and if I were to go for this focal length again I'd certainly check the f/3.8 because the 21mm SE which I do have is stellar and I would say a better lens than the 24/2.8. At this level of lens though they are all pretty good.

• Like 1

One of my favorite lenses.  Almost always in my kit.  I ditched the lens hood, which was always catching on something in my camera bag and pulling off,  and instead, I use a polarizer if on the M10 or a red filter, if on the M246.  Highly recommended.

I bought one a couple of years ago, to supplement my 21mm Elmarit (pre-asph) and have really got on with it, having taken it on my last two trips to South Africa instead of the 21mm.  I really like the renditioning it gives see my post in the Landscapes photo section.

Susie

I have been using this lens since I bought it to go with the M8 when it came out.  Puts says it is the lens every Leica owner should have.

I use it for portrait work, for my wedding shoots, and for a lot of dance photography -- when I have sufficient light.  My heart longs for the f1.4 version, of course.

When used with artificial light the DOF is *Amazing*.  You can't miss the shot.  It is sharp (of course) and the images are 

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 6:26 AM, jcatral14 said:

I found a nice example and purchased a mint silver version from Fotopia 🙂 I should hopefully have it by Tuesday 🤗

Thanks Gilbert!

Will post some pics when I have it. Have a great week!

He's excellent to deal with too.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 4/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, jcatral14 said:

I found a nice example and purchased a mint silver version from Fotopia 🙂 I should hopefully have it by Tuesday 🤗

Thanks Gilbert!

Will post some pics when I have it. Have a great week!

I purchased mine (new old stock) from Gilbert about five years ago. It remains my favorite lens!! Rendering of organic shapes, like people, is really good if you are careful to keep those shapes within the central 50% of the frame.

The lens performs beautifully on both the M10 and X1D (so no worries with the 24 Elmarit when Leica comes out with the 47Mp M11).

BTW, the Leica shade is dorky. Thorsten makes a really nice brass, screw in model that I am very happy with...  not cheap, but very good.

Enjoy your new favorite lens!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gpwhite said:

I purchased mine (new old stock) from Gilbert about five years ago. It remains my favorite lens!! Rendering of organic shapes, like people, is really good if you are careful to keep those shapes within the central 50% of the frame.

The lens performs beautifully on both the M10 and X1D (so no worries with the 24 Elmarit when Leica comes out with the 47Mp M11).

BTW, the Leica shade is dorky. Thorsten makes a really nice brass, screw in model that I am very happy with...  not cheap, but very good.

Thanks Peter! I'm starting to really love this lens. Has not come off my camera since I've mounted it. Going to take it with me to the Bay Area this week and use it exclusively 🙂

• 2 years later...
On 5/11/2019 at 11:56 PM, gpwhite said:

How about on the 60mp M11? 

• Like 1