24mm 2.8, 3.8

Rockrug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Cobram:

I opened a topic related to 21mm lenses...but must confess 24mm Elmarit seems also a very nice wide angle option.

Thank you for photo example. If you have other photos taken with this lens I will be glad to see them.

no problem, LR found a couple of them. I hope they give you an idea about the lens.. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2,8/24     Cologne, Museum Colomba. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Public  ( soccer ) viewing as it was called then  

2,8/24

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 3

bitchiness 

2,8/24

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 4

S-Bahn Berlin

• Like 4

Bundeskunsthalle Bonn; detail

2,8/24

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

ICT, of course there is that internal thread for E55... if you screw in a filter, it will prevent the notches of the clip on shade from slipping  in the two grooves on the front ring of the lens. These notches  apparently are meant to prevent the shade from rotating--but it prevents also the simultaneous use of filter and shade. That's what Leica wrote to me. It's deliberate...

The Elmarit 21/2.8 asph is built the same way AFAIK and uses the same hood which fits E55 Leica filters normally. I simply don't understand why the Elmarit 24/2.8 asph cannot do the same given that both hood and filters are mentioned on the Leica specs i've posted an excerpt above...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

lct and klaus:

I would note that, except for the thread specification, there is no standard for the other dimensions of filters: thickness of the mount front to back, or how much larger the outer diameter is compared to the thread, thickness of the glass, and so on.

I see that the current Leica-made E55 filter is called the E55 (II).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1204599-REG/leica_13037_e55_uva_ii_filter.html

I don't know what the roman numeral II means, but it is altogether possible that in the dozen years since the demise of the E55 21/24 Elmarits, Leica has changed the overall filter dimensions. Especially since Leica has been substantially revising the entire front of most lenses, for external screw-on lens hoods and protective rings.

I do know that when the 90 APO-Summicron was introduced 22 years ago, it had problems with some E55 filters (of various brands) hitting the front element when screwed into place. Leica had to introduce a "bespoke" special E55 filter (deeper mounting ring) just for the 90mm, to avoid that (and perhaps that is the II version).

At any rate, when it comes to fitting other accessories in addition to fitting a E55 filter, it pays to know exactly what is needed - there is no guarantee that any random E55 filter will behave correctly with the 21/24 lens hood (even those branded LEICA), but some may.

One may need to find an E55 filter built during the lifetime of the 21/24 Elmarits, by Leica, with a specific catalong number (13xxx?) for correct functioning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Bundeskunsthalle Bonn; detail

2,8/24

Dear Klaus thank you very much for photo examples.

Indeed very interesting lens. I encounter many many occasions where extra light stop is very useful --> preventing blurry images. Somehow my impression is:

-sharpness and colors/sparkle --> Elmar (maybe just impression)

- versatility --> Elmarit

Am I right?

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Cobram:

Dear Klaus thank you very much for photo examples.

Indeed very interesting lens. I encounter many many occasions where extra light stop is very useful --> preventing blurry images. Somehow my impression is:

-sharpness and colors/sparkle --> Elmar (maybe just impression)

- versatility --> Elmarit

Am I right?

Dear Cobram, 

having used both lenses I don't think that there is so much difference in sharpness, colors and sparkle between the two lenses--at least not in real life photography. If you do charts and graphs and line counting, the Elmar may be the lens to go to--but that's a pretty theoretical  joy. 

IMHO the decision should be made along the lines: 

--weight, compactness, superb sharpness, filter thread E46 --same as SLX 50, 35, Summarit 50, 90; intended use travel, nature, architecture--then the 3,8/24  is your lens. 

-- superb mechanical performance particularly in chrome, contrast and luminosity, one step extra, intended use street, people--then go for the 2,8/24 in chrome....

If in doubt: buy both. The Elmarit for sure is a classic lens  and the 3,8 is worth every penny... 

K. 

Back to the filter issue for a second... 😉

Just showing how the diameter of my UVa II # 13038 filter is slightly smaller than the lens diameter letting the knobs inside the hood pass. Same in 21 asph as mentioned. While my other filter & lens combinations are pretty much ¨flush¨.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

... and this filter is appr. 5mm thick leaving very littke space for filter # 2... total room I guess is appr 6mm...

• 2 weeks later...

Just retrieved two E55 UV filters from Leitz and Leica. Same code number (13373). Both fit my Elmarit-M 21/2.8 asph and Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50/4 together with the 12592 lens hood. No problem at all. JFI.

• 1 month later...

I have the Elmar-F/3.8. Great lens.   Here we have some discussion on the filters. So my follow-up question is:

- I am puzzled by how to fit a filter. The shade cannot be turned (at least I don't dare to give to much torque). Is there a trick to it? [Feel dumb 😴]  

What filters are recommended (to save the front lens from dust). Not all UV filters work miracles with wide angles.

51 minutes ago, Alberti said:

I have the Elmar-F/3.8. Great lens.   Here we have some discussion on the filters. So my follow-up question is:

- I am puzzled by how to fit a filter. The shade cannot be turned (at least I don't dare to give to much torque). Is there a trick to it? [Feel dumb 😴]  

What filters are recommended (to save the front lens from dust). Not all UV filters work miracles with wide angles.

Just unscrew the lens shade anti-clockwise, screw in a filter, and screw the lens shade into the filter.The lens shade has a definite 'step' stop so can't be overtightened.  E46 filters. A Leica UV is fine, but B+W Nano Protective filters are better IMHO.

Edited by pedaes