Favorite Lens On M10M?

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In looking through the thread of M10M Images I see a lot of different lenses represented, but one seems to appear more than others. If you had to select only one lens to use with the M10M, and money was no object, which one would it be? For me, it would absolutely be the 50mm APO Summicron. I lusted after this lens for a long time and finally acquired a black chrome version a few weeks ago (I previously had the standard version for a short time). It has quickly become my all-time favorite M lens in 40 years of M shooting and I might not ever remove it from my M10M except for occasional cleaning. Feel free to add a photo here of your favorite lens on your M10M.   

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Likaleica said:

50 Apo Summicron, Brent.  I have the standard one.

Actually, "standard version" was a poor choice of words in my original post. There's nothing at all standard about that incredible lens. I should have referred to it as the black anodized version.

• Like 1

Another vote for the standard (or black anodised) 50mm APO.  Actually, I would love the retro version, but just can't rationalise the cost to change for what is really a cosmetic upgrade.

I did buy the retro black chrome 50mm f1.4 Summilux to use on my M10-D, but didn't have the standard version so that was an easier (and cheaper) decision!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

Another vote for the standard (or black anodised) 50mm APO.  Actually, I would love the retro version, but just can't rationalise the cost to change for what is really a cosmetic upgrade.

I only got the BC because I got a great deal on it and paid less than the cost of a new black anodized copy. It's actually a lot more than just a cosmetic upgrade. The lens is precisely milled from solid brass, built like a tank and should last for decades. Even the lens caps are solid brass. The focusing helicoid is amazingly smooth and has no play whatsoever. Same with the aperture ring.  Every click is solid.

Even so, had I not gotten such a good price on the retro, I'd have stuck with the black anodized version and been exceedingly happy with it. They are both beautiful and superb lenses.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

I only got the BC because I got a great deal on it and paid less than the cost of a new black anodized copy. It's actually a lot more than just a cosmetic upgrade. The lens is precisely milled from solid brass, built like a tank and should last for decades. Even the lens caps are solid brass. The focusing helicoid is amazingly smooth and has no play whatsoever. Same with the aperture ring.  Every click is solid.

Oh temptation, temptation.  I should never had looked at this thread!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

I don't have--likely will never have--this camera, but from all the lustworthy photos I see with it, I completely agree: the 50 APO renders simply astonishingly.

Six months ago I'd have said the same thing about both the M10M and the BC 50mm APO. Sometimes the stars align. 😉

• Like 1

50 APO for sure and a close second 35 Lux FLE. 

I love the BC version you have there Brent. Looks fantastic. If I wouldn’t take such a bath on my regular copy I’d upgrade. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

If money is no oBject, Noctilux 50mm f1.2 🖖
If we’re being rational lol then Summicron 35mm 8e. 
don’t like modern lenses on digital MM :) 

With the exception of the 50APO, I'd have to agree.

Got an M9M and a set for it:

- CV 3,5/28

- 35 Summaron ƒ/2.8

- Nikkor 50/1.4 LTM

- Canon 50/1.8 LTM

- 50 Summicron Rigid

- 75 Summilux

- Canon 100/2 LTM

1 hour ago, james.liam said:

With the exception of the 50APO, I'd have to agree.

Got an M9M and a set for it:

- CV 3,5/28

- 35 Summaron ƒ/2.8

- Nikkor 50/1.4 LTM

- Canon 50/1.8 LTM

- 50 Summicron Rigid

- 75 Summilux

- Canon 100/2 LTM

Nice! The Nikkor ltm lenses are awesome, I have the 5cm f2 & the 3.5 f1.8 and love them! Rigid is also my favorite Leica 50mm :)
I used to have the APO by the way, but after having tried most Leica lens to me nothing beats the rendering, build quality & enjoyment of the 1950/60s lenses. Something that’s not discussed a lot but that to me is really important is that the old lenses all have full stops aperture clicks rather than half-stops, this also makes it much easier for me to change settings without even looking at the camera. 

There seems to be a lot of respect out there for the 50mm APO Summicron.

The 75mm APO Summicron was fantastic on my M9M, so I thought the 50mm APO would be the must have lens for the M10M, but I've got to wait until some consignment sale items are sold first ( Covid-19  seems to have crushed the market ).

Meanwhile, the oddball Voigtlander 40/1.2 lens had been stuck to my M10 for so long; I though a second one grafted to the M10M would be a good idea.Wide open I just love the lens rendering.

The 40/1.2 design does look a lot alike fotografr's classic version of the 50 APO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In three months of M10M use, I have tried out the following (in ascending order of focal length):-

28mm Elmarit-M ASPH

35mm ZM Biogon f2

35mm Summaron f2.8

5cm Summicron Collapsible

50mm ZM C-Sonnar f1.5

50mm Summilux-M ASPH

75mm Summarit f2.5

90mm Summarit f2.4

135mm APO Telyt-M

Putting aside aspects relating purely to focal length and considering the results in terms of monochromatic appeal, I find myself tending towards the C-Sonnar - it somehow seems to give a more 'organic' image.

(Dons tin-hat, ducks behind sofa and awaits incoming fire...).   ;)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Putting aside aspects relating purely to focal length and considering the results in terms of monochromatic appeal, I find myself tending towards the C-Sonnar - it somehow seems to give a more 'organic' image.

(Dons tin-hat, ducks behind sofa and awaits incoming fire...).   ;)

Then you'd love the Canon and Nikon LTM's