Favorite Lens On M10M?

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50APO as favourite. If I could add to that list, the 35FLE, 28lux and/or 28Cron, 50Noct f1 would all be on it.

The 50APO never fails to surprise me when I review images (maybe I'm still in a "honeymoon" phase). It was made to live on this camera.

Can't go too wrong with a 35FLE though, so it's a close second for me as well. Though I've not shot with it on the mono, the 28lux is a beautiful lens and one of my favourites in terms of rendering, probably my favourite in the current Leica lineup. I don't have one any more but if I did it might pip the 35FLE as 28mm pairs better with a 50mm. I do have a 28 Summcrion v2 though and I feel this lens is well matched to the 50APO - it is more similar in rendering to the 50APO than the 28lux is, plus it's sharp and small.

Though you can't shoot a mono without using some older glass...if I had to choose one it'd be the 50 Noct f1. The 35 lux pre-FLE, 35 Summicron v1, 50 Rigid Cron, 50lux v1 and v2, 75lux all come to mind too. Others have mentioned vintage Canon and Nikon glass. I do like the 3.5cm 1.8 W-Nikkor and I'd love to try the 8.5cm 1.5 and 8.5cm f2 Nikons in LTM. 

Edited by chasdfg

It's hard to go wrong with most Leica M lenses on the M10M.  I'm fortunate to have tried many of them on the M10M and each time I am reminded that:

1) The M10M makes all lenses look particularly good, likely because the lack of a Bayer color filter array generally boosts image quality

2) Leica makes some outstanding glass :)

All that said, I'm particular surprised by how much better than 75 lux is on the M10M vs. the M10P.  I always found the CA of the 75 lux in slightly out-of-focus areas to be distracting, and now it just adds to the creamy bokeh.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chasdfg said:

50APO as favourite. If I could add to that list, the 35FLE, 28lux and/or 28Cron, 50Noct f1 would all be on it.

The 50APO never fails to surprise me when I review images (maybe I'm still in a "honeymoon" phase). It was made to live on this camera.

Can't go too wrong with a 35FLE though, so it's a close second for me as well. Though I've not shot with it on the mono, the 28lux is a beautiful lens and one of my favourites in terms of rendering, probably my favourite in the current Leica lineup. I don't have one any more but if I did it might pip the 35FLE as 28mm pairs better with a 50mm. I do have a 28 Summcrion v2 though and I feel this lens is well matched to the 50APO - it is more similar in rendering to the 50APO than the 28lux is, plus it's sharp and small.

Though you can't shoot a mono without using some older glass...if I had to choose one it'd be the 50 Noct f1. The 35 lux pre-FLE, 35 Summicron v1, 50 Rigid Cron, 50lux v1 and v2, 75lux all come to mind too. Others have mentioned vintage Canon and Nikon glass. I do like the 3.5cm 1.8 W-Nikkor and I'd love to try the 8.5cm 1.5 and 8.5cm f2 Nikons in LTM. 

Yes, the 3.5cm f1.8 W-nikkor is the lens that's on my MM for 80% of the time. One of my all time favorites! 

On 5/10/2020 at 9:32 AM, FrozenInTime said:

There seems to be a lot of respect out there for the 50mm APO Summicron.

Meanwhile, the oddball Voigtlander 40/1.2 lens had been stuck to my M10 for so long; I though a second one grafted to the M10M would be a good idea.Wide open I just love the lens rendering.

The 40/1.2 design does look a lot alike fotografr's classic version of the 50 APO.

I've not used the 40/1.2 but have read very good things about that lens. The focal length is a very appealing compromise between the 50 and 35. Would you mind putting a link here to one or two nice examples of images taken with them? Or feel free to just post one in this thread. Thanks.

I would choose the Summilux 35 FLE.  I was able to get my hands on a Leitz Wetzlar edition for a steal and it has produced some awesome images with the M10M.  I keep wanting to try the 50 Summicron APO, but I prioritized rounding out a Fuji medium format kit first.  Maybe next year I’ll be able to snag the 50!

• Like 1