Image won't show on screen after takin shot - it shows an older shot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think this may have been discussed already, but I couldn't find it.

After taking a few shots it won't display the shot I just took. Instead, it will stay dark a little longer than usual, and then finally just show me a previous shot, or even older.

I only shoot RAW, not sure if it does the same thing in JPG.

It's not that big a deal, but it IS starting to happen pretty frequently, about every 5 - 8 shots. It's just annoying, esp. if you need to check a shot relatively quickly to make sure you got the subject, or need to reshoot. I've owned a LOT of digital cameras, and have never seen this happen on any of them, so I hope Leica figures out a way to address the write/read issue here.

After taking a few shots it won't display the shot I just took. Instead, it will stay dark a little longer than usual, and then finally just show me a previous shot, or even older.

This happens occasionally on both my M8s too. I've experienced this across different firmware versions including the latest, 1.107.

Hopefully, this is something that can eventually be address in a future firmware update.

Geoff

myspace.com/geoffotos

this has always happened If you press the play button while the camera is still writing to the card. Its a poor show as auto review will show the correct shot as soon as its taken, why manual review cant also do that is a mystery to me.

Also if you shoot raw+jpg the write time goes up significantly, making this phenomenon all the more irritating.

Guy

this has always happened If you press the play button while the camera is still writing to the card. Its a poor show as auto review will show the correct shot as soon as its taken, why manual review cant also do that is a mystery to me.

Also if you shoot raw+jpg the write time goes up significantly, making this phenomenon all the more irritating.

Guy

Agreed, this is the problem. More patience is required ;)

Guest guy_mancuso

The issue is patience , if it wrote faster which is what we need but yes there still is the issue of not going to the last frame shot which is firmware. But both are needed , faster cards would help immensely and SDHC is the current answer.

Just shot off another e-mail on SDHC

Guy,

we appear to be misunderstanding each other :confused:

If I turn auto review on, I see a picture alsmost immediately, and I can zoom in etc While the camera is writing to the card.

If I have auto review off, I cannot, I have to wait.

If its possible in auto review then why not in manual review (ala other cameas...)?

Guy

It acts as if the pointer to the right image has been altered on mine and shows me a prior image rather than the just shot image. I don't think this is an issue of write speed, but rather a software glitch that fails to properly update the pointer to the correct image. My guess is that this is a synchronization issue between the two independent computers operating in the camera. Pressing the play event button to hold the image causes an interrupt that can occasionally interfere with the pointer update write.

Guest guy_mancuso

I always have the auto review on but can't always zoom right away after it comes on, have to wait till it processes which speed of card would help here but I do get the frame before the last shot soemtimes and that one is firmware.

With auto review off which i don't do would have to wait to process before you can bring it up , so i would think that would need the faster card so the wait is not too long and you can review almost as fast as you have the chance to hit the play button and your saying that is too slow if I read that correctly . Than i would think it is card speed being more the issue.

So the real issue is write time it seems. We on the same page

curious, I tried briefly before my last post, and I Could zoom while the camera is still writing to the card. I just tried again, and I grant that it is sluggish, but it Does zoom while still writing. You might not notice if you use fast cards, I am using an Ultra II

Guy

Guest guy_mancuso

I'm using the transcends and i get hung up sometimes. I really think the SDHC cards are the answer overall for a lot of the buffer and processing times in there. Faster cards will help us overall. The transcends are fast but there not rockets either the Sandisk may just perform faster. I have a hard time zooming right after a shot , usually I have to wait awhile or hit the play button and wait opun return of the image before zooming. May have to run some tests on this. I know the SDHC cards are very fast , so i will keep bugging Leica for the support on them

I'm using the transcends and i get hung up sometimes. I really think the SDHC cards are the answer overall for a lot of the buffer and processing times in there. Faster cards will help us overall. The transcends are fast but there not rockets either the Sandisk may just perform faster. I have a hard time zooming right after a shot , usually I have to wait awhile or hit the play button and wait opun return of the image before zooming. May have to run some tests on this. I know the SDHC cards are very fast , so i will keep bugging Leica for the support on them

C'mon Guy - it's a firmware bug, together with the zebra stripes. I thought that Leica had even acknowledged as much - and it doesn't just happen when you've taken a shot and it's writing to card - it also happens when you're reviewing shots made some time before.

Definitely a bug (not to say that they shouldn't also support the new cards).

Guest guy_mancuso

I did say firmware

The issue is patience , if it wrote faster which is what we need but yes there still is the issue of not going to the last frame shot which is firmware. But both are needed , faster cards would help immensely and SDHC is the current answer.

I did say firmware

No, the issue is that Leica lists Sandisk Ultra II cards (and others) as compatible and for no identifiable reason can't make the M8 handle them as intended.

The M8 has a buffer, so the speed of the card should be meaningless. This rollback thing (which is accompanied by a bad frame number too - like 73/73 when you just took the 74th shot) happens even when you take one picture on an empty buffer. I've never seen a screwup like this on any other camera. Is it a showstopper? Not in most cases. But Leica should be very, very embarrassed that its camera handles something so basic so poorly. Sandisk is not exactly a no-name brand. And Ultra IIs seem to have sufficient write speed for plenty of cameras that have high throughput needs.

The solution is not for Leica's customers to spend more money because Leica makes a mistake, particularly on a technology (SDHC) that Leica won't commit to supporting. Buying SDHC is highly speculative. Who knows what Leica will support? The list of compatible SD cards has not grown at all so far. If a future firmware upgrade is incompatible with your chosen SDHC card (i.e., your camera malfunctions and Leica blames it on your "unapproved" card), then what? Spend even more? M8 users have already gotten hosed with buying the camera, UV/IR filters, and calibrating a lot of Leica-branded lenses to make them work on the camera. A lot of users have been forced to buy SD cards when their previous cameras had CF. So now they should now ditch their current SD cards and buy new SD cards?! Sorry, but compatible means compatible.

Of course, this goes back to the idea of using SD instead of CF. CF seems to be a much more consistent format, works very well on all pro-level cameras, and doesn't have competing standards for how to handle cards that are 4gb plus.

I was in my dealer yesterday and taking a few test shots while looking at a new viewfinder.

I switched it on and took 2 shots ... no problem.

I then took another shot but no review pic, just a blinking red light saying hello for way too long.

I turned it off and then removed the battery to reset it. turned it back on and pressed PLAY.

The third shot was a black screen with just the image file no. showing in the middle of the screen ! Oh and the speed, iso and the frame no. showing above the white line.

Anyone else seen anything like that ..?