Missing images after first shoot with SL3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 28 Minuten schrieb PeterBoyadjian:

DNG/Time 

1423 3:24

1424 2:41

1561 3:58

1562 3:05

Possible that some images were written over, not sure what the hell is going on but my Leica Rep told me to follow up with him tomorrow at noon. 

I going take a walk tomorrow and take a 1000 photos and see if I happens again. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi,

are these card new or old ones? Did you test the memory cards (the hole card - not only a part of it)? Are the cards on the Leica list with the cards they test? Have you cleaned the gold contacts after the problems began? Are the little plastic strips between the contacts ok. All this can corrupt the shots.

And perhaps a resue program can help. Good luck

Sandisk cfe is new directly from Leica, Lexar 1667 is about a year old from my SL2S. 

Disk Drill found no hidden files on the Cfe, Lexar was a little different found file info from November last year. 

Both cards were formatted in the SL3 before the birthday party. 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:02 PM, Robert E said:

It's unbelievable that Leica has screwed up so bad on both the M11 and SL3.
They are supposed to be the leader and produce the best cameras!
What a disappointment !!
My SL2 has never had any of these problems. Now I see why so many have dumped their M11's and gone back to the M10's.
This just blows my mind that their new flagship SL3 and flagship M11 has so many quirks and problems.
Where's the testing, where's the quality control. This is like Microsoft throwing out a new Windows version .0

And not to even mention the SL2s with post after post of problems with that version I've read over the last year.

So many? What else did you find? As yet it is unclear whether this is an SD card issue or a ( individual) camera one. A bit early to write a rant, don’t you think? 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 1:45 PM, PeterBoyadjian said:

DNG/Time 

1423 3:24

1424 2:41

1561 3:58

1562 3:05

Possible that some images were written over, not sure what the hell is going on but my Leica Rep told me to follow up with him tomorrow at noon. 

I going take a walk tomorrow and take a 1000 photos and see if I happens again. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I wonder  if the large file size is the culprit?

After taking 2000+ photos since I posted this I've had zero issues. 

Leica Service has the entire raw catalog and is looking into what happened. 

I am though going to switch out the Sandisk Cfe with a Angelbird that I ordered Yesterday. 

My SL2S would always lockup with Sandisk cards but worked perfectly with Lexars. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I just experienced the same problem over the weekend. Shot a wedding with my new SL3 (about 3 weeks old) and had about a dozen FAMILY PORTRAITS totally missing in my lightroom folder. Upon further inspection I found that the photos on my CF express were sequentially numbered (correctly) and just flat out missing. After using disk drill to see if there were any accidentally deleted files, I've found about a dozen "corrupted" files that show up as being 63 MB each (roughly the right size for a DNG from the SL3)  but are completely black images.  

1 hour ago, MG Photo said:

Unfortunately I just experienced the same problem over the weekend. Shot a wedding with my new SL3 (about 3 weeks old) and had about a dozen FAMILY PORTRAITS totally missing in my lightroom folder. Upon further inspection I found that the photos on my CF express were sequentially numbered (correctly) and just flat out missing. After using disk drill to see if there were any accidentally deleted files, I've found about a dozen "corrupted" files that show up as being 63 MB each (roughly the right size for a DNG from the SL3)  but are completely black images.  

Please if you can send a screenshot of all this and what type of CFE card were you using? 

I have had zero issues so far but also using a new Sandisk SD card, I didn't want to risk my 'user error' from a previously formatted and used SD card during my SL3's debut🙂

I also have an unopened Sandisk CF express and may exchange it for something else...looks like some here are not fans of the Sandisk CF express.

Side Note: A quick Look on the Canon and Nikon forums show similar complaints on Z9, R5 and others...Most but not all of the time, a memory card either corrupted or improperly formatted was the issue.

I am only using a set of older 64, 128 and 256 Gb SanDisk Extreme Pro 200 MB/s cards and have had until ow no problem with my M11M.
My SL3 will arrive today or tomorrow and I am eager to see what will happen.

Posted (edited)
vor 4 Stunden schrieb MG Photo:

Horrible experience! I am photographing weddings, too. So I can feel with you.

However, did you really use only a single card? Or were there no files on the sd card either?

Edited by FrankX

From my rookie lab tests, after interval shooting 500 shots with 1 second in between. The Sandisk cde would skip processing an image within 200 photos. Angelbird didn’t skip a beat. 

Leica service basically said keep us posted if it happens again. But I have an event Saturday and if this camera screws up again I’m leaving Leica for good. I’ll sell all my amazing apo lenses and zooms and pickup a z9 and a 24-70 and just lose my soul. 

……and just my luck the z9 will probably and some sort of issue too. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, PeterBoyadjian said:

From my rookie lab tests, after interval shooting 500 shots with 1 second in between. The Sandisk cde would skip processing an image within 200 photos. Angelbird didn’t skip a beat. 

Leica service basically said keep us posted if it happens again. But I have an event Saturday and if this camera screws up again I’m leaving Leica for good. I’ll sell all my amazing apo lenses and zooms and pickup a z9 and a 24-70 and just lose my soul. 

……and just my luck the z9 will probably and some sort of issue too. 

Sounds like you should be ok using the Angelbird CFe. As a failsafe, you can setup the file management in camera to mirror your shots on both CFe and SD. I think the setting is CFe = SD.

Hope it works for Saturday!

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

Sounds like you should be ok using the Angelbird CFe. As a failsafe, can you setup the file management in camera to mirror your shots on both CFe and SD? 

Yes I always used the 2nd card as a backup. 
My issue though was the file numbering went crazy and some images started rewriting which led to about an hours worth of images going missing. Just something very unusual that I can’t seem to replicate. 

14 hours ago, PeterBoyadjian said:

Yes I always used the 2nd card as a backup. 
My issue though was the file numbering went crazy and some images started rewriting which led to about an hours worth of images going missing. Just something very unusual that I can’t seem to replicate. 

Leica should investigate if there is a card issue. can you email them? 
info@leica-camera.com

They may want some raw files.