Show us your Noctilux wide open shots

budjames

vor 36 Minuten schrieb colint544:

Leica M6, 50mm Noctilux E58 version 1, Kodak Tri-X

Think the only thing I got sharp was the windscreen wipers

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great shot!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, evikne said:

… and the man in the mirror! I don't miss the focus anywhere else. 😉

Thanks! I think I got the eyes *acceptably* sharp. I shot that from the back seat of the car, but looking at it again, the sharpest point would seem to be the front of the dashboard. Still, I think when it comes to Try-X and a Noctilux wide open, it's the mood of the image as much as anything else.

• Like 6

vor 1 Minute schrieb colint544:

Thanks! I think I got the eyes *acceptably* sharp. I shot that from the back seat of the car, but looking at it again, the sharpest point would seem to be the front of the dashboard. Still, I think when it comes to Try-X and a Noctilux wide open, it's the mood of the image as much as anything else.

I think it 's because the man in the mirror reminds me of James Steward so this must be a movie still...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I think it 's because the man in the mirror reminds me of James Steward so this must be a movie still...

Thanks - it's my old friend Rod - he's a ruggedly handsome man. Very much in the mould of Suggs from Madness

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colint544 said:

Yes, I think it's the unharp areas and the mood that "does" the whole image. The focused areas just add some extra contrast and "spice". 😉

Edited by evikne
  • Like 2

Camera trap / London, 2014 — Leica M9 + 0,95/50

• Like 7

The range of uses of the Noctilux in this thread is interesting.

My first reaction to this lens was that it was a bit of a show-off, and a pointless one at that.  The f/1 Noctilux made me feel seasick and the endless portraits wide open with the 0.95 became ... more than a little same same.  It really didn't interest me.

But once users got the idea that, unlike Thorsten, you don't have to shoot wide open all the time (and having the entire subject in focus is a useful element of composition), things got interesting.  The ring at the front with the odd numbers (yes, you know the one - it starts with 0.95) started to be used, and composition improved considerably, and the quality of the images with it.  I like my Noctilux - I haven't used it much recently, but it is such an interesting lens.  Stopped down, it performs as well as any other 50mm lens (sure, it has a different character to the APO-Summicron), but wide open it gives a very interesting image, as Peter and Colin's images above show (I pick those because they particularly strike me).

Sure, this lens isn't for everyone or every situation, but it is to my mind as good as any 50mm lens (without pixel peeping), and the images above show that it is capable of capturing some very interesting images.  Sure, not everyone seems capable of achieving this, but it gives me something to aspire to.  As Peter Karbe says - aperture is for setting depth of field.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Allie Ho-Chee at Madam Jo-Jo's off Shaftesbury Ave.

M240 with 50/1 Noctilux

• Like 6

Wide open