Show us your Summilux 50mm f/1.4 ASPH wide open shots

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, evikne said:

I see a common thread in the three pictures. In Norwegian we say "a red thread", which suits even better in this case. 😉

I like to make my own camera profiles and I have quite the little obsession with the colour red, which is sometimes rendered quite orangey-brown in modern cameras but I prefer it to be a bit more purple-y (ie it needs more blue at a WB level), this of course gives me problems with skin colours and lip colours, and many 'happy' hours are spent trying to find a compromise 😅

• Like 1

Enthusiast electricity museum. Same settings as above.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

If anyone has the ultra excess time to analyze, here is the phone shot to compare for the inner forensic in you.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, IzelPhotography said:

I think the colours look fine... it's the lack of sunset reflection on the white snow that throws it. It's like one was shot at midday and the other at sunset. If you google sunset alps mountains you'll see what I mean.

It's the sunrise.

Same thing.

When climbing it's one of the most beautiful things to see. You go from the cold blue shadows of the night climb to seeing the warm glow rising over the horizon and for the pink, orange and reds to light up the peaks around you. It's something to cleanse the soul. Your phone photo shows it better. There's that tell tale orange tint to the snow, albeit slight but it makes it feel more real. The shadows in the trees also show the transition from the warm glow (nearer the horizon), almost red / purple before turning to the cool deeper blues of the valleys. To me, it looks like the Leica image has been processed to make the mountains very white by removing some of the warmth and tweaking the tint towards the green.

It does make for a sharp contrast but as I said originally, I fully believe the colour off the sky, it's just the colour of the mountains and woods that distracted me as they looked independent from the sky due to the lack of reflection from it. It's a lovely shot all the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IzelPhotography said:

Same thing.

When climbing it's one of the most beautiful things to see. You go from the cold blue shadows of the night climb to seeing the warm glow rising over the horizon and for the pink, orange and reds to light up the peaks around you. It's something to cleanse the soul. Your phone photo shows it better. There's that tell tale orange tint to the snow, albeit slight but it makes it feel more real. The shadows in the trees also show the transition from the warm glow (nearer the horizon), almost red / purple before turning to the cool deeper blues of the valleys. To me, it looks like the Leica image has been processed to make the mountains very white by removing some of the warmth and tweaking the tint towards the green.

It does make for a sharp contrast but as I said originally, I fully believe the colour off the sky, it's just the colour of the mountains and woods that distracted me as they looked independent from the sky due to the lack of reflection from it. It's a lovely shot all the same.

Thanks. I like the Leica one better tho. The light changed every second, this dawn lasted for about 6 minutes.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Thanks. I like the Leica one better tho.

The Leica one IS better! 😀 What @IzelPhotography is missing is the direction of the light. The reason the Leica shot doesn't show the alpenglow but the sky and water show it is the direction the sunlight is coming from. It's clear that the light is behind the mountains, and as such the mountains we see wouldn't have the alpenglow. Having lived in places with mountains that got this type of light, it is very depending on the incident angle of the light that hits the mountains. I think the critique of your Leica landscape (vs the cellphone one) is misplaced and a misunderstanding of where the light is coming from! I'd also guess that the cellphone pic is a few moments later and with fast-changing morning light, there probably was more light on the mountains by that point. 

Edited by eyeheartny

@eyeheartny I also agree the Leica one is better and I never said it wasn't... just that you could see the warm glow on the phone image. Please look back at my original post, I was only stating I felt the colour was real (when someone asked) and that I thought what confused (visually for me anyway) was the lack of any warm light on the mountain or trees when the sky was highlighting the lake.

Personally, I've shot mountain images in the UK, Alps and the Andes for 10 years for work (and been a mountaineer for far longer.) I'm fairly comfortable in terms of my understanding of how the light changes as I'm normally pitched out on the summits to capture the sunrises/sunsets.

Anyway, I apologise for any offence, it was merely an observation as to why someone may find it looked a little unreal due to the highlights (not the shadows) on the mountain lacking warmth, pure white. I'll call it a day and go back to not saying anything 🤣

Edited by IzelPhotography

46 minutes ago, IzelPhotography said:

@eyeheartny I also agree the Leica one is better and I never said it wasn't... just that you could see the warm glow on the phone image. Please look back at my original post, I was only stating I felt the colour was real (when someone asked) and that I thought what confused (visually for me anyway) was the lack of any warm light on the mountain or trees when the sky was highlighting the lake.

Personally, I've shot mountain images in the UK, Alps and the Andes for 10 years for work (and been a mountaineer for far longer.) I'm fairly comfortable in terms of my understanding of how the light changes as I'm normally pitched out on the summits to capture the sunrises/sunsets.

Anyway, I apologise for any offence, it was merely an observation as to why someone may find it looked a little unreal due to the highlights (not the shadows) on the mountain lacking warmth, pure white. I'll call it a day and go back to not saying anything 🤣

Variations in altitude, latitude, humidity, and other atmospheric conditions can greatly change the play of color on the side of the horizon opposite to the sun at sunrise and sunset. I live where I can see sunset alpenglow, and although it is similar most of the time, at other times it can be a completely unexpected experience regarding color. Clouds on the sun's side, clouds above, etc. can all reflect the light in unexpected ways.

For the record and IMO, it always comes across as rude to ask if a photo's colors are as they were in real life. It's an implication you don't believe the photo and/or you feel that such manipulation is somehow lesser. No one asks if the tones were manipulated in black and white photos, but for some reason some people get consciously or subconsciously off-put by color they sense deviates from reality.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, haikos said:

@evikne Do you have a preference for asph or pre-asph at this point?

I only have the pre-ASPH today, so that's my preferred choice. But I also miss the ASPH. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to keep both at the moment.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1