anyone thinking of upgrade from CL to SL2?

samfre

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never use AF myself, so I forgot to mention this. Long ago I bought a Canon 350 because of its AF to take pictures of my pets. That was a misbought. But my IIIf was not the top  too. With AF switched-on a time delay could arise in your case. Also with the modern fast AF one looses a split-second (moving mechanics). The RF stays at the time you press the shutter.

I don´t believe, that the problem - you mentioned -  lies in the difference between OVF (3D view) and EVF (2D view).

1 hour ago, rob_w said:

Sean Reid of Reid Reviews has commented on the same issue with EVFs so I am not completely alone.

Do you know if Sean disabled Auto Review? Just curious as i've no lag issue with my digital CL. Same with all my digicams BTW but i always disable Auto Review.

• Thanks 1

It is mainly the EVF in my experience, having looked at this on the M240, T, TL2 (all with add on EVF), CL, SL and now Sigma fp. I found the lag unacceptable for moving subjects with the add-on EVF, but fine on the SL and CL. It's still there, but easily allowed for, just as I allowed for trigger finger lag on the M series (there is lag on the M series, but it is from human reactions, not electronic - you have to make an allowance in both cases). The fp is a step faster again (not that it's an action camera, but the EVF is very fast).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lct said:

Do you know if Sean disabled Auto Review? Just curious as i've no lag issue with my digital CL. Same with all my digicams BTW but i always disable Auto Review.

Why would autoreview cause lag? It may delay you taking the next shot, but I can't see how it would affect the responsiveness in liveview and shooting. (Assuming we're talking about the same thing!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Why would autoreview cause lag? It may delay you taking the next shot, but I can't see how it would affect the responsiveness in liveview and shooting. (Assuming we're talking about the same thing!)

Not sure to see the difference between delay and lack of responsiveness but I'm no techie at all. Does no harm to try anyway. 

• Like 1

I´ll give it a try. Those terms more or less describe the same thing. Lack of responsiveness is a continuous delay. It reflects all of the reality, but afterwards.

But if the motion is very fast, it can not follow the reality, and makes skipping or averaging. Think of a slow shutter: curtain or electronic. 

A delay is a shift in time only. Pressing the shutter serves at first the AF and then the light measuring and at last the shutter.

Auto review on and yes on a Drive Mode of Single, I get the auto review, have it set to 3 seconds. A press of the shutter goes back to a standard setting. I guess this could be called lag, but you can set the auto review to 1 second or off. If you put Drive Mode into any of the continuous settings there is no lag. Take an exposure lift you finger off the shutter and then the auto review comes on. 

22 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

[...] If you put Drive Mode into any of the continuous settings there is no lag. [...]

Just move your camera while shooting and you'll see it. To avoid or reduce after-shot lag, the only way i know of is setting Auto Review to "off" as suggested above. 

Re upgrading from the CL to the SL2, I don't think it is a crazy idea at all.  One could have, say, the TL-23 on the SL2 to give a compact outfit with a 35mm EFOV and 20 megapixels, plus stabilisation etc.  And then add, say, an SL90 Summicron as a portrait lens.

Edited by rob_w
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,
I had my SL 601 since December 2017 and swapped to CL on February 2019, because of heavy weight of the SL, body and lenses. No way the SL is a fine camera. But after one year  with my new CL, I experienced (IMHO):  I have nearly the same results out of the CL. I believe a very important impact to get your images as you wish, independent which brand you use, belongs to the person behind the camera, creating the results. For me is very interesting, to test and figure out the possibilities of my lenses for the current situation and I use only Leica-Lenses.

I wish all my LUF-friends a happy new year 2020

It may be wiser to wait for CL2. It can be released sometime between November 2020 and November 2021. CL2 may offer IBIS, one of the strongest reason to upgrade to SL2. 

If you are happy with your CL today, it will not stop making good picture after SL2 released. 

Please take not that CL still offer better IQ than SL2 in APS-C mode. It is more than the extra 4MP might suggest. Higher ISO are cleaner with CL. 

Another thing, when using SL2 with M or R lenses in APS-C mode, the EVF shows a lower resolution viewing. Very weird. May be a bug or an unfortunate limitation. 

One more thing, the cost of upgrade is very steep. For this kind of money. I can buy a used SL 90-280. Which will be better used mounted on the CL, than a newer bigger body, but no extra lens. 

So my new year’s resolution is to not buy the big SL2 and keep my trustworthy svelte CL.

Happy new year to everybody. Wish you the very best for 2020 and beyond. 

8 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

It may be wiser to wait for CL2. It can be released sometime between November 2020 and November 2021. CL2 may offer IBIS, one of the strongest reason to upgrade to SL2. 

If you are happy with your CL today, it will not stop making good picture after SL2 released. 

Please take not that CL still offer better IQ than SL2 in APS-C mode. It is more than the extra 4MP might suggest. Higher ISO are cleaner with CL. 

Another thing, when using SL2 with M or R lenses in APS-C mode, the EVF shows a lower resolution viewing. Very weird. May be a bug or an unfortunate limitation. 

One more thing, the cost of upgrade is very steep. For this kind of money. I can buy a used SL 90-280. Which will be better used mounted on the CL, than a newer bigger body, but no extra lens. 

So my new year’s resolution is to not buy the big SL2 and keep my trustworthy svelte CL.

Happy new year to everybody. Wish you the very best for 2020 and beyond. 

Sure about that? Leica appears to be on a 4-5 year cycle nowadays, as the development curve flattens.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I'm certainly not disputing the wisdom of waiting for a CL2 which might have some IBIS. And it's certainly the most economical strategy: don't spend money unless you feel you need to.

But I came to a different conclusion about shooting TL lenses on the SL2. I find the photos very sharp; aesthetics are personal, but I prefer how the SL2 renders. And high ISO no longer is a concern with the slower TL zooms, because of IBIS. And, I also tested M glass on it and didn't notice any drop off in the EVF. I seemed to nail every photo. Magnification is terrific. Both Sean Reid and Jono Slack praise the ability of the SL2 to handle M glass, and Jono mentioned that the TL 55-135 (which I personally did not test) works great with the SL2

Again, certainly not knocking a decision to stick with the fantastic CL. But, IMO, the SL2 is a very, very fine camera. It's really a "home run" for Leica. 

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Sure about that? Leica appears to be on a 4-5 year cycle nowadays, as the development curve flattens.

Not sure. But Leica stays near 4 years or less for now. Q2 was released before the 4 years mark. Resellers told me that it was initially ready for a November 2018 released. But held back to build up enough stock for a proper launch. 

APS-C being cheaper, it could be renewed a little bit more frequently. But nowadays who knows. I prefer a later launch with significant upgrades (à la Q2 and SL2) than a mere warm up, of course. Which means that weather sealing and IBIS are more than expected.

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

And, I also tested M glass on it and didn't notice any drop off in the EVF.

It only happens with M and R lenses in APS-C mode.
Hopefully it does not happen with TL lenses. 

Salesman think that it may be a bug. But not sure yet. Waiting for Wetzlar official answer. 

• Thanks 2