anyone thinking of upgrade from CL to SL2?

samfre

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

My eyes and hands are not what they used to be, and  the potential attraction of the SL2 is the in-camera stabilization and the EVF. Compared with my CL, it would be easier to focus my M and R glass, and my TL 11-23 and 55-135 could be used in much lower light. Eventually, Panasonic or Sigma will make a small weather-proof auto-focusing all-round lens (the Sigma 45 f/2.8 I take it is not weather-proof) and then I'd be set for the weather as well--not that that's an essential consideration for me.

I grew up in an era when image stabilization comprised a sturdy tripod. That is still my solution around home. I admit there is a case for IS for wildlife photography;  but otherwise I feel too much is made of the feature. We have a fine selection of higher shutter speeds to arrest movement of camera or subject. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cirke said:

a ERF then , Electronic Range Finder  or EVF or whatever but it will come

They will loose old men like me who are entangled with the M way of shooting and this has been happening already; I stopped at the M9 after a brief adventure with the M10 because, among other reasons, I see available light as available light in the original sense and ! because it’s such a good camera that it runs without problems after 10 years

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

26 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The name is irrelevant, but a body with M10 (11) sensor and an EVF instead of RF would offer an optimal platform for M  lenses at a, say, 1500 Euro  lower price. 

Not expensive enough. It would kill rangefinders in a couple of months...

• Haha 1

I rather doubt that. M users are too conservative. It would expand the market, for M lenses too. 
Consider this: An EVF costs 250 Euro, a rangefinder 1250. Then you would lose the frame line selector mechanism, the rangefinder coupling in the mount, the exposure meter cells, have a simple top plate. That would account easily for a lower price. 

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

They will loose old men like me who are entangled with the M way of shooting and this has been happening already; I stopped at the M9 after a brief adventure with the M10 because, among other reasons, I see available light as available light in the original sense and ! because it’s such a good camera that it runs without problems after 10 years

you make me wish I never sold my M9, but through some trades it has evolved into the CL plus an M4, MA, and R6.2 .... I take the digital and then the R or M depending on whether I want to use M or R lenses (usually M)....BUT the M9 did make really beautiful pictures even if challenged in low light ... 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sblitz said:

you make me wish I never sold my M9, but through some trades it has evolved into the CL plus an M4, MA, and R6.2 .... I take the digital and then the R or M depending on whether I want to use M or R lenses (usually M)....BUT the M9 did make really beautiful pictures even if challenged in low light ... 

A picture tells more then thousand words...: this is a photo from Tchaikovski's Nutcracker Suite in 2008 in Amsterdam, made with the M8 on ISO320, with the SAA 90mm at 1/180 and f2.4. I don't know if it already had the discrete mode at that time, I think it came later, but the lady before me was a little irritated about the noise of the shutter. This was the reason for me to step over the M8.2 as soon as it came out, because it had a 'considerable' more silent shutter 😁 (hear the M10 now...). But look how unbelievably sharp images this camera could produce. Do I see any essential difference with the SL2? 😳 Let alone that you'll be arrested at the door when you're trying to get that camera inside. I printed this on A2 without any problem.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

The name is irrelevant, but a body with M10 (11) sensor and an EVF instead of RF would offer an optimal platform for M  lenses at a, say, 1500 Euro  lower price. 

You should be on Leica’s board. I like my M and especially the M lenses. I don’t care one way or the other if the rangefinder is mechanical or an EVF As long as I can easily focus the camera. Frankly an EVF would make the camera easier to use.

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, cirke said:

or just usable, with 47mp and a Noctilux at 0.95

I can only speak for myself but I have no need for 47 mp.

When I was working professionally the more megapixels the better.

But didn’t all Pros start off using the Nikon D1X which was 5 megapixels?

As a hobbyist 24mp is more than enough. And frankly the apc sensor is more than enough.

Im all about the weight, simple  menus and fun to use.

In all honesty if I were still shooting professionally I don’t think that I would be using the SL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ECohen said:

no need for 47 mp.

Except when it was affordable on a MF sensor. Not on what ironically is called full format today, and this is since the sensor with the size of the top of a pinky was introduced.

18 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Except when it was affordable on a MF sensor. Not on what ironically is called full format today, and this is since the sensor with the size of the top of a pinky was introduced.

Since the OP was on a CL site I do feel my observations are valid. Which they may not be we were talking about the SL
I used to shoot professionally the more MP the better! But that was the early days of Digital photography

I just shot some photos for a friend the other day. I used a Full Frame Nikon 24mp......just because it has the better zoom and I wanted 2.8
The RAW file made a 69.1M jpg. Why does a hobbyist need a 69.1M file?
They are hard to handle you need to store them and who prints bigger than 11x17 except occasionally....and most photos just get posted to the web.

You give photos to a friend we're talking Gigabytes of info. Sure I could reduce the files in LR but then I have to file the originals.
I think we are in overkill territory with MP these days......if not shooting professionally

For me  47 is way overkill no matter the price. But I guess it depends on the individual.
Would I want a 47mp CL .....I don't think so.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sblitz said:

Okay, so isn't 24MP ASPC sensor not good professionally ..... less was more than acceptable up until recently. So how professionally speaking is 47MP better?

Getty knew exactly in 2010:

Our panel of in-house experts has reviewed the latest digital equipment to help provide guidelines on what we consider to be acceptable images for submission to Getty Images. You can click on the links below to find out how some of these cameras performed.

“At present, the following cameras are recommended and approved for submissions to Getty Images. This list is updated regularly with results from our digital testing team.

Canon EOS:
5D Mk 1/2; 30D; 40D; 1D Mk 1/2/3; 1D Mk2n; 1DS Mk 1/2/3
Nikon:
D2X; D2Xs; D3; D3X; D90; D200; D300; D700
Leica: M8; M8.2; X1
Olympus: E3
Pentax: K20D
Sony: A900

https://petapixel.com/2010/08/06/leica-x1-becomes-the-only-compact-on-gettys-approved-cameras-list/

:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I seem to be the only person on the forum troubled by EVF lag.  With my CL, I often capture a photo just after the intended image, e.g. as the subject is starting to blink, or look away, or whatever.  This never happened with the OVF of the M series and is a reason I, for one, would remain conservative in my choice of future M cameras.

Edited by rob_w
  • Thanks 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb ECohen:

I can only speak for myself but I have no need for 47 mp.

As a hobbyist 24mp is more than enough. And frankly the apc sensor is more than enough.

The APS-C sensor is half fullframe. That means one uses only half of the capacity of an M-lens. 

Your Super Elmar 21mm lens is a 30mm only.