anyone thinking of upgrade from CL to SL2?

samfre

I would want a CL2, not for more mps or weatherproofing, but for stabilization and an ever-larger EVF. I just don't know if a camera that small will get those 2 things.

For that reason, I plan to look closely at the SL2, and keep an open mind. If I do buy it, I'll likely sell my Q and keep my CL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

I would want a CL2, not for more mps or weatherproofing, but for stabilization and an ever-larger EVF. I just don't know if a camera that small will get those 2 things.

For that reason, I plan to look closely at the SL2, and keep an open mind. If I do buy it, I'll likely sell my Q and keep my CL. 

I've never had one but looking at specs for A6500  it's a bit smaller than the CL, and manages to incorporate both weather sealing and IBIS so I'm living in hope.

More mps is more of a put off for me at the moment, not sure I have the time or inclination to upgrade my computers.  

I turned my Q into a Lumix S1, testing how I get on with larger/heavier body again.  I think when Sigma/Panasonic get round to offering either a 100-400, or 150-600 L mount they are not going to be a good fit for the CL, MC-21 adds to the options at the moment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Boojay said:

I've never had one but looking at specs for A6500  it's a bit smaller than the CL, and manages to incorporate both weather sealing and IBIS so I'm living in hope.

More mps is more of a put off for me at the moment, not sure I have the time or inclination to upgrade my computers.  

I turned my Q into a Lumix S1, testing how I get on with larger/heavier body again.  I think when Sigma/Panasonic get round to offering either a 100-400, or 150-600 L mount they are not going to be a good fit for the CL, MC-21 adds to the options at the moment.

And, Jayne, how do you like the Lumix, size wise? How given are you to travel with it, pick it up casually? I'm looking for someone to help me justify the SL2 🙂

Everyone's saying they need a computer upgrade, but Adobe compression is said to work well and put the files back to the 24 mps range in size (40s mb).

59 minutes ago, bags27 said:

And, Jayne, how do you like the Lumix, size wise? How given are you to travel with it, pick it up casually? I'm looking for someone to help me justify the SL2 🙂

Everyone's saying they need a computer upgrade, but Adobe compression is said to work well and put the files back to the 24 mps range in size (40s mb).

I'm sure I could work my way around the computer thing if I had to it's just I am not the most computer literate person in the world and the thought of having to change my usual habits gives me a headache🤔.

I've had the Lumix around two weeks and I have taken it out pretty much every day, just my usual stuff, dog walking etc,  to get familiar with it.  Not been out with it for longer than a couple of hours, mostly with 24-105, also had a 200mm Canon with the MC-21 in my bag on a couple of occasions and honestly size/weight wise it's been fine. 

It's a camera that for me fulfils a totally different role to either my CL or M.  I bought it from a dealer, used but mint and boxed so it was a fraction of the cost of an SL2, hence not hard for me to justify at all😀.

Edited by Boojay
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, bags27 said:

Compression won't help, as the files will be decompressed for postprocessing

On 11/12/2019 at 10:22 AM, FrozenInTime said:

the tougher choice will happen when there is a M body with internal EVF.

I had an M9 and M240, I will only change my CL for an M with internal EVF  (and for now, even if I dont like it,  I keep my Sony A7R3)

Edited by cirke

17 hours ago, bags27 said:

Actually Ken, for a fast Lightroom you just need these :

• 32GB RAM, Lightroom is so thirsty of memory. A shame
  • Catalog & previews on a fast SSD internal or USB 3. Thunderbolt 3 is overkill.
  • Smart previews (not compulsory, but it is faster)

CPU is not that relevant. Any 4 cores should be fast enough. 

GPU is not that important, only limited tasks are handle by compatible graphic card. But it can help to have one. No need for top one. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you work through everything, the CL is the SL2 without the FF and Maestro III processor (CL has Maestro II) ... down to how it operates with the dials, TTL view, etc. It is, not to get too mathematical, pretty much the same MP for the real estate 47MP FF vs 24MP APS-C ... Soooo, to me the question is whether the reach is more important (ala Jaapv) or having FF for whatever .... personally, unless I can capitalize on the photos FF, there is no need for the size and weight of having the SL2. Leica views the CL as the camera for amateurs who don't want to put a lot of effort into learning how to take good pictures but want good pictures. It is how they view the smaller sensor, ok but I think the results are more than professional enough except for perhaps studio work.

• Like 1

It was mesure that Lightroom classic needs for himself 24GB of RAM. 
So you will 32GB for the whole system. 

Be cautious that CPU integrated graphics will eat several GB of main RAM. So you end up with less than 16 or 32GB of available RAM. It is a problem with every notebook. Because when they used the low power integrated graphics. They will tap into the computer RAM.

So count 32GB as the minimum. By the way RAM is so cheap. 

And if you use Photoshop. Go 32GB it will really need them. 

4 minutes ago, sblitz said:

If you work through everything, the CL is the SL2 without the FF and Maestro III processor (CL has Maestro II) ... down to how it operates with the dials, TTL view, etc. It is, not to get too mathematical, pretty much the same MP for the real estate 47MP FF vs 24MP APS-C ... Soooo, to me the question is whether the reach is more important (ala Jaapv) or having FF for whatever .... personally, unless I can capitalize on the photos FF, there is no need for the size and weight of having the SL2. Leica views the CL as the camera for amateurs who don't want to put a lot of effort into learning how to take good pictures but want good pictures. It is how they view the smaller sensor, ok but I think the results are more than professional enough except for perhaps studio work.

My eyes and hands are not what they used to be, and  the potential attraction of the SL2 is the in-camera stabilization and the EVF. Compared with my CL, it would be easier to focus my M and R glass, and my TL 11-23 and 55-135 could be used in much lower light. Eventually, Panasonic or Sigma will make a small weather-proof auto-focusing all-round lens (the Sigma 45 f/2.8 I take it is not weather-proof) and then I'd be set for the weather as well--not that that's an essential consideration for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nicci78 said:

It was mesure that Lightroom classic needs for himself 24GB of RAM. 
So you will 32GB for the whole system. 

Be cautious that CPU integrated graphics will eat several GB of main RAM. So you end up with less than 16 or 32GB of available RAM. It is a problem with every notebook. Because when they used the low power integrated graphics. They will tap into the computer RAM.

So count 32GB as the minimum. By the way RAM is so cheap. 

And if you use Photoshop. Go 32GB it will really need them. 

This is way above my pay grade of understanding. But I have 16 GB on my MacBook Pro, and I run PS 2020, CR, Bridge 2020, Word 2016, Powerpoint 2016, and sometimes two browsers simultaneously along with several apps I forget to close (Sonos, Postbox, etc), and I almost never have a problem. Hoping that, if I do get the camera, this will be enough for now. 

But I take your point: next computer, I'll max out RAM whatever camera I get or not.

40 minutes ago, sblitz said:

If you work through everything, the CL is the SL2 without the FF and Maestro III processor (CL has Maestro II) ... down to how it operates with the dials, TTL view, etc. 

For me, the other important SL2 distinguishing features are IBIS, quality of EVF and weather sealing. The major trade off is size and weight with native lenses. 

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cirke said:

an M with internal EVF

History may correct me, but this is a real laugh 😂 🤣  If that turns out to be the reason Puts left Leica because he knows more than we, I can understand.

M stems from Messsucher, not from Mirrorless

Edited by otto.f