samfre

anyone thinking of upgrade from CL to SL2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone thinking of upgrade from CL to SL2? as the SL2 have higher pixels even in APSC mode for CL lens and can use as full frame for M lens.

I pre-ordered the SL2, once it arrives I’ll be selling my CL and several TL lenses. Im tempted to keep it, but I’d rather use the funds to add another SL lens

I see it as a downgrade so would never move in that direction. My preference is for lightness and nimbleness in the spirit of the original Leica. The SL2 is the Hummer of cameras. I don’t need or want that around my neck.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb samfre:

….as the SL2 have higher pixels even in APSC mode for CL lens….

Are you sure? Maybe I`m in a error, but in APS-C mode I think there are about 20 MPix, the CL has 24.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know how to calculate how much really coming out from the SL2 in APSC mode, Leica shop told me should be around same as CL now.  

5 hours ago, samfre said:

Anyone thinking of upgrade from CL to SL2? as the SL2 have higher pixels even in APSC mode for CL lens and can use as full frame for M lens.

Certainly not. Why should I choose to carry such a burdensome bundle around with me when the CL is a more congenial camera to carry. Now, if I was a professional photographer like Jono Slack, I might reach a different decision. 

Edited by wda

I have CL and SL. They are different cameras and, apart from the fact they both take pictures and are made by Leica, they are totally different animals. Upgrade is the wrong word. You might switch from one to the other if your photographic practices change, but not otherwise. I have never considered using them in the same scenarios.d

I would never go for that "upgrade".

CL2 will eventually be that upgrade.  Hopefully, even it it means a slight increase in body size, it will have IBIS, yes I know we can all manage without it but it does make a difference, and I see it as progress. 

In the meantime we need some lenses!   Hopefully L mount alliance will help, but so far the lens offerings are more suited to a larger body.  

I agree with Jayne that a CL2 with IBIS would be the best upgrade. As I get older I appreciate traveling light. The SL2 is too big and heavy for me. I still use my M43 system for birds and wildlife because it provides hand holdable long lenses due to less weight and IBIS combined with in lens stabilisation in some cases.

I'm not interested in bulky cameras personally so i'll stick to my M240 and Kolari mod Sony until Leica brings a competitor to the latter if any but FF cameras are not a substitute to APS for me so i'll keep my digital CL anyway. Upgrade to a bigger CL2? Thanks no thanks :cool:.

Just now, samfre said:

Thanks for all the reply.  I guess I should way for CL2, any idea when will the CL2 release?

Think we'll be waiting a couple of years yet.

I had the SL, the 24-90 and 90-270 zooms as well as my R lenses, and loved it. It is a great camera. The SL2 will be the same, "improved" in some aspects. I sold the SL because I found I wasn't using it as much after I retired: Light weight along with my desire to carry a camera on my bicycle rides conspire to reduce my desire to carry the SL in *exactly* the same way that causes me to only rarely carry my Leica R-system cameras or Olympus E-1. It's not so much that these cameras and a modest lens are that much bigger than what I do carry, it's they way they fit into my bag and how handy they are to pull out and make a photo. I'd come to using the M-D for most of what I shoot, with one of two modest sized lenses because of this ergonomic factor. 

I still needed a TTL camera for some of my photographic efforts, and since I have the R (and M) lenses that are so good at these endeavors, I decided to get a CL body and work with it. It actually has certain advantages over the SL because of being APS-C format vs FF format, and it works superbly for those niche uses. As I used it more, I realized that it was versatile and ergonomic enough to do all of the photography I was also doing with the M-D. Ultimately I sold the M-D body (kept most of the lenses) and now use the CL for most things when I am not shooting with a film camera. 

Would I buy an SL2 now? to upgrade from the CL? The statement of upgrade there doesn't make sense to me. I'd buy an SL2, certainly, if I wanted a FF camera with an even higher Mpixel count for certain kinds of work. But I'm not doing that kind of work very often, and frankly I'd rather go with what I've already ordered (Hasselblad 907x Special Edition with XCD 21mm f/4 lens) for that work, for its larger sensor with more pixels. As well as other ergonomic considerations ... It will prove easier and simpler to fit in my little sling bag for when I ride on the bicycle despite being a larger format camera than the SL2. It does not compete with the CL on portability and size, and with respect to image quality the CL holds its own nicely for my intended output. 

So the simple answer is no: I won't be buying an SL2 to upgrade from my CL. I've got my bases covered and don't need an SL series camera at this point in time. Will I ever buy an SL series camera again? That I cannot answer ... that depends on where my photographic pursuits lead me. 

G – 

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure." 

Two different tools for two different use-cases, IMO. For a street and travel camera, the CL is hard to beat. For a studio or landscape camera, for the wildlife shooter who will crop or for someone who will print huge, then the SL might be a better choice.

Also be aware that the difference in file sizes is a big deal. Way  more CPU and RAM required to process the 47mp files, so many who feel the need to upgrade to the SL2 will potentially need to upgrade or replace their computer as well.

-Brad