Jono Slack: Leica Q2 Review

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, GiorgioBaruffi said:

Wow... great review, thanks! 

I own the Q2 and she is driving me crazy on one thing, I usually move my focus point, and with all other cameras, with the pressure of the central button, the focus point returns to center, here instead I switch to the video mode! I hate this feature... Hope that someone can fix this.

I have been asking for this in firmware and complaining about it on the Q for a while. After having moved the focus point and for a few seconds afterward, the center button should return the focus point to the center. It's ridiculous that I have to manually "find" the center again, which will only get more difficult with the increased number of autofocus points on the Q2. Leica needs to FIX THIS.

Edited by hdmesa

43 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I have been asking for this in firmware and complaining about it on the Q for a while. After having moved the focus point and for a few seconds afterward, the center button should return the focus point to the center. It's ridiculous that I have to manually "find" the center again, which will only get more difficult with the increased number of autofocus points on the Q2. Leica needs to FIX THIS.

Agree

vor einer Stunde schrieb hdmesa:

You don‘t need to find the center. Just do a quick double tap on the screen and the focus point will return to the center. It‘s a feature! Works on Q and Q2! ;)

Greetings

Erik

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy) said:

I also just read it to my wife. She laughed out loud then said there should be a thread just for spouses of Leica Q owners so she could go there and commensurate. 🤣

commensurate : (adjective) in a correct and suitable amount compared to something else

Yes, agreed spouses can meet (online) to compare how they measure up against each other.....

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, plantagoo said:

You don‘t need to find the center. Just do a quick double tap on the screen and the focus point will return to the center. It‘s a feature! Works on Q and Q2! ;)

Greetings

Erik

Thanks! I wonder if a double-press of the center D-pad button works the same way. If not, that would make a good firmware addition.

Edited by hdmesa

19 hours ago, SrMi said:

[ I don't have a Q2 yet, so all I can do is read the manual 🙂 ]

The manual says (p 151):

- Auto ISO range is 200 - 50000 (Q's lowest Auto ISO is 100)

- Manual ISO range 50 - 50000

DPR claims that ISO 50 is native ISO.

May be just a pull ISO. That’s why auto ISO Only use ISO 100

On 3/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, bags27 said:

somewhere on Leica Rumors someone described the technical parameters of the weather proofing (same as the SL), something like (and I can't remember exactly) moderate rain at a 15 degree angle for x amount of minutes.... wish I could find it.

Internet search IP52 and you can read all about it.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, ramarren said:

LOL ... As I read Jono's review again, this is throbbing through my head: 

"I do not need another camera.

I do not need another camera.

😏

I had exactly the same thoughts in my head, but I got over it. 

I just emailed Ken Hanson to order the new Q2. So spoiled!

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

vor 33 Minuten schrieb budjames:

Regards,

Bud James

You got over it by ordering one? That's not getting over it, that's succumbing to the temptation. Well, good for you. The Q2 will complement nicely your two M10s. 😁 It's a point and shot fixed lens toy, so it'll complement your Fuji (or is it Fujis), too.

Edited by Chaemono

3 hours ago, budjames said:

Regards,

Bud James

Is Ken back to good health and back to selling gear?

13 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Is Ken back to good health and back to selling gear?

He was ill for a bit, but I spoke to him about 2 months ago after he was home and purchased a 50mm Summicron APO. So, the answer to your question is yes.

Regards,
Bud James

• Thanks 1

Spent  a while in Leica Mayfair with the camera today and as one would expect it is a beautiful piece of kit and the lens renders beautifully. I do think though that with the high rez sensor the camera would really benefit from 'eye detect' AF  as in the shots I took using facing detect they didn't all give me a totally sharp image on the eye. Just a small and niggling point but otherwise seemed to perform beautifully. I don't think I will be buying though as I am happy with my A7rIII and 24GM in this focal length range

A few questions regarding the handling of the Q2, for those who had played with the camera:

*How fast does the camera wake up from sleep?

(with my SL first press on the shutter wakes the camera up, but requires a second press to take a photo)

*How fast from turning the camera on till it is fully operational and ready?

(again, with my SL, the camera appears to check the SD card before being ready. Large SD card =longer time till it is ready to shoot. On a 16GB card this can take a couple of seconds.)

*Does the EVF blackout when shooting a photo?

Thanks for any input.

n.