Jono Slack: Leica Q2 Review

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, essentially, for depth of field, the crop feature turns the full frame 28 mm into an APS-sized sensor at 35mm, a 4/3rd's sensor at 50 mm and a lets say 1 inch sensor at 75mm?

OK, I did not do the math but is that basically correct?  What is the advantage over just cropping down a 28mm shot in photoshop?

Yes, I understand that the maximum aperture remains at f1.7 at all cropped focal lengths.

An honest question, I just need to know before parting with my M10.

I just take travel pix these days.

Thanks, in advance.  

my assumption is that the crop feature is not that different from just cropping in photoshop. I think it's just drawing lines in the viewfinder/lcd so it's easier for the user to view the 35mm, 50mm, or 75mm for composing. 

Like you said, it would be 1.7 throughout the ranges, but with the bokeh compression still that of a 28mm 1.7 lens. 

Then regarding the crop feature to aps-c or m4/3 or 1inch, im guessing it works differently than how other cameras like sony do their crops? I think sony's crop feature only uses the aps-c size area within the full frame to take the image, hence the crop factors for focal range and aperture value. For leica Q, I think it's still taking the image with the whole full frame sensor, and just cropping out to make it 35mm, 50mm, and 75mm

Edited by nariza7

I think of the Q2 crop feature as strictly a composition tool. It lets you visualize real-time what the scene will look like at various focal lengths or in this case crops. You do have the advantage of seeing whats outside or entering the frame. No different result than cropping in post. It’s a Leica version of WYSIWYG. 

• Like 2

I think of this feature being for photographers who want to use RAW only, and do post processing using it as you say, a composition tool. When you review the image on the rear screen it still shows the whole image with the "crop" lines.

For JPEG shooters it gives the illusion of having 4 lenses, and they can post, or print, the images they see on the review screen, because this is shown as the cropped part only.

something for everyone? A clever tactic I'd say.

Cheers, John

Edited by jpattison
typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jpattison said:

I think of this feature being for photographers who want to use RAW only, and do post processing using it as you say, a composition tool. When you review the image on the rear screen it still shows the whole image with the "crop" lines.

For JPEG shooters it gives the illusion of having 4 lenses, and they can post, or print, the images they see on the review screen, because this is shown as the cropped part only.

something for everyone? A clever tactic I'd say.

Cheers, John

You are right. For jpg shooters it does give the illusion of 4 lenses. They can use the Fotos app and download then share photos readily on social media. Good build. I only shoot RAW so I didn’t consider that aspect of the capability. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, jpattison said:

With RAW... When you review the image on the rear screen it still shows the whole image with the "crop" lines.

If I remember correctly, with the touch screen you can then move the crop lines within the image on the rear screen to re-compose!

John

Edited by jpattison

11 hours ago, JimBo said:

Sigh. How long will we have to wait for a Q2 that looks like a Q-P?

I’m with you. The Q-P is very good looking.

I’ve got Q2 on preorder having returned my recent Q-P purchase. 

I could so easily buy it back. Was really hoping Q2 would have the P aesthetic.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, Leon_B. said:

My four profiles

Daylight - For shooting outside in the daytime 

Nighttime - For shooting in Artificial light

Monochrome - For shooting on those drab winter English days, with the jpg setting change to high contrast black and white. This really helps to concentrate on composition (rather than colour).

Tracking - With continuous AF and tracking mode enabled for dogs / footballers / birds / grandchildren.

No need to go into specific settings (although I can if anyone is interested),

Anyone happen to know what the settings for these 4 profiles that Jono uses are please?

Same here, Q2 ordered after reading Jono's write up (thanks Jono)
Received the camera just before the weekend but unfortunately I could only do a few shots. 
Great camera, it flashes me!
John

Edited by satijntje
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Jono: excellent review, very well condensed and to the point.  

I just received a Q2 and been using an S1r.  Regarding the autofocus, it’s good but it does have a tendency to hunt and it often shudders small amounts back and forth in most indoor conditions.  The face defect is poor though, especially when compared to the Sony A7 series.  It never seems to pick up my young sons (toddler age) face unless straight on at eye level (which isn’t very easy!).  The eye detect is non existent really most of the time.  Also, the touch to focus is a pretty trying experience.  

The image processing though is bright and punchy.   The 47mp really shines through the EVF and rear lcd.  The camera is very light weight too and easy to handle.   

I was very reluctant to like this lens after reading so much negative info regarding its massive barrel distortion and the appurtenant SDC.  But it’s fine, great, the SDC doesnt hurt at all.  Compared to the S1r with a 28 Lux, the Q2 is def more even all around the frame.  

On 4/23/2019 at 8:36 PM, microview said:

And by contrast there's this 20+ minute by a photographer who doesn't even have a Q2 and never actually bought a Q either. :lol::lol::lol:

why would anyone waste their time watching this - if he has never owned a Q or Q2

• jaapv unpinned this topic