Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, paul chiu said:

Any chance the Q2 uses the same grip and thumb rest as the Q?

Just my hunch but there might be an issue with using the same grip as Q.

If you look at the Q grip, there is a small notch sticking out right where the battery compartment is.  It actually sits on the groove of the battery compartment latch.

If the Q2 does not have a similar groove, you might have to remove that small notch from the Q grip to make it work.

This is my hunch without trying it out.  I can confirm it next week when i get my Q2.

Edited by xaradaisy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WWU_85 said:

Regarding weather sealing:  Has or Will Leica publish the IP Code rating for the camera?

IP = Ingress Protection which defines the camera's, or other electronics, ability to resist water and dust etc..  For more information see Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

It is IP52 according to the brochure.

26 minutes ago, xaradaisy said:

I am from US and I am getting one of the first ones delivered to me next week.

Where'd you order from? Nobody seems to have hard delivery estimates so far. 

Got mine at the launch event at the factory store in Wetzlar today. Was the first one to get one... 😂

It has IP52 weather sealing (it‘s also stated at the bottom of the camera).

it has NO internal memory whatsoever and NO USB, HDMI or Microphone ports. It has NO ports at all.

The IQ looks fantastic and the 47MP are quite good for cropping.

The lens is about 2,5mm longer and about 2mm wider. I had a talk with the Q product manager (forgot his name, silly me) and he said this is due to the weather sealing.

The included lenscap only fits onto the shade. If you remove the shade and use the metal ring to cover the screwmount you need to buy a seperate lenscap because the metal one won‘t fit due to the thicker aperture ring (wont slide over it).

If you have specific questions please ask.

Greetings

Erik

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, plantagoo said:

Got mine at the launch event at the factory store in Wetzlar today. Was the first one to get one... 😂

it has NO internal memory whatsoever and NO USB, HDMI or Microphone ports. It has NO ports at all.

The lens is about 2,5mm longer and about 2mm wider. I had a talk with the Q product manager (forgot his name, silly me) and he said this is due to the weather sealing.

The included lenscap only fits onto the shade. If you remove the shade and use the metal ring to cover the screwmount you need to buy a seperate lenscap because the metal one won‘t fit due to the thicker aperture ring (wont slide over it).

Greetings

Erik

Thank you for the update. Could you please check if back-button focusing works on Q2 (use rear 'zoom' button for focusing and the shutter does not focus). Thanks.

5 minutes ago, plantagoo said:

Greetings

Erik

Has the face autofocus improved? I found it pretty spotty on the Q.

LuLa posted a review for subscribers.

Mostly good stuff, but...

They put a Q2 in the shower for 20 minutes, water bouncing off ceiling to simulate rain, and the camera failed to start up afterward.  It came back to life after 5 minutes.

They also showed edge smearing shooting tree branches wide open.

Jeff

Just spotted this in the Q2 User Guide:

Please note: The splash water and dust protection coating is not permanent and will diminish over time.

Just wondering what this means in practice, i.e. how fast and to what extent? Is it a significant limitation on the weatherproofing of the camera or just a standard warning that is unlikely to have much practical significance? Also wonder whether it will diminish based on the frequency of actually getting wet or regardless, based on simple camera age and through handling.

Hope it’s one of those situations where it’s technically true but falls outside the likely length of ownership of the camera.

Edited by robertdecastro

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

They put a Q2 in the shower for 20 minutes, water bouncing off ceiling to simulate rain, and the camera failed to start up afterward.  It came back to life after 5 minutes.

9 minutes ago, robertdecastro said:

Just spotted this in the Q2 User Guide:

Please note: The splash water and dust protection coating is not permanent and will diminish over time.

Just wondering what this means in practice, i.e. how fast and to what extent?

Obviously it diminishes over 20 minutes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Q said:

Well they're using rubber seals. Rubber deteriorates over time, but honestly I doubt anyone would own the camera long enough to experience the effects.

I was thinking the same and comparing it to my mechanical watches were the seals are replaced anytime they're opened or every ~5 years. 

• Like 1