Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Stephen_C said:

The lens specification given in this thread is the same as the specification for the lens in the Leica Q (which I have). The weight given in this thread for the Q2 body only is merely 47g heavier than that for the Q body. The difference between the Q2 plus battery (718g) and Q plus battery (640g) is 78g. Read into all of that what you will!

Stephen

Its ALL fun speculation. My guess is the lens is the same as the Q but with very small changes for sealing. The slight weight increase is due to the battery (most of the increase), more seals for making it drip proof, maybe an extra door where the SD card goes. Pure guessing on my part. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tobers said:

I just bought a Q-P as well. I am quite happy with my decision. I’ll let the Q2 bed in and have the inevitable firmware upgrade or two, and just go and take pictures with my Q-P, which is gorgeous by the way. Plus it looks like I’ll have saved over £1000 (I got a GOOD deal) so I’ll find something to do with that cash.

Same here. It will be nearly a 4-year wait for a Q2-P. Certainly anyone who bought the Q-P did so mostly for the finish and the top script. Being it was 2015-tech, I can’t imagine any of us bought it for the technical specs but rather for image rendering and user experience.

I’m also bracing myself for the onslaught of M9-like comments about how the Q sensor somehow renders differently than the Q2. So there will be plenty of original-Q cult members to sell one’s Q to should that become something a person would want to do. The Q-P certainly represents the pinnacle of the Q aesthetic to me.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, happyman31 said:

Leak states 370 storable images, i assume this relates to the buffer? How does this compare to the Q..

No, I imagine it refers to how many images can be taken on a single battery.

There's a lot of variables though that will mean that differs, I have not read what the Q was capable of but I saw mentioned of '300'

For e.g. if you shot at 10 fps you could take far more photos than 370 before the battery runs out.

Edited by dancook

9 hours ago, Infiniumguy said:

Its ALL fun speculation. My guess is the lens is the same as the Q but with very small changes for sealing. . . .

i had read that the Q lens was specifically designed for its sensor. . . 

if that is the case what does that mean for the Q2 and its sensor--or am i misunderstanding things (as usual)

Edited by prk60091

22 hours ago, happyman31 said:

Leak states 370 storable images, i assume this relates to the buffer? How does this compare to the Q..

22 hours ago, dancook said:

No, I imagine it refers to how many images can be taken on a single battery.

There's a lot of variables though that will mean that differs, I have not read what the Q was capable of but I saw mentioned of '300'

For e.g. if you shot at 10 fps you could take far more photos than 370 before the battery runs out.

I would think the 370 storable images likely refers to a new internal memory storage, probably trying to compete with the Zeiss ZX1 which also has internal memory (although Zeiss claims it can store 6,800 raw files in DNG format, so not much competition there). 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, Flilow06 said:

I would think the 370 storable images likely refers to a new internal memory storage, probably trying to compete with the Zeiss ZX1 which also has internal memory (although Zeiss claims it can store 6,800 raw files in DNG format, so not much competition there). 

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there is no internal storage and it was simply something that did not translate well, and as per my original comment just average shots per battery

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dancook said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there is no internal storage and it was simply something that did not translate well, and as per my original comment just average shots per battery

I agree. Manufacturers usually quote the CIPA rating when they mention battery life. While I can’t find a number for the Q, 370 sounds about right for a mirrorless camera using a high MP sensor and a large SL battery.

• Like 1

Q is rated 300 shot according to cipa rating. (no flash)

But it is not really impressive in practice. T is absolutely awesome. Rated at 400 (but half of those are with flash) but last more than two Q batteries. What a shame to see each newer sensor generation using more and more energy. 

Edited by nicci78

6 minutes ago, cp995 said:

I think local dealer will do it!

Far as I know, that's the dealer most local to me.

In reply via email to my direct inquiry on the topic: "We would not be able to accept your Q on trade at this time."

A trade-in could be a convenient way to get this done, but his reply seemed pretty clear to me. Maybe I'm just not a VIP.

13 minutes ago, jon m said:

Far as I know, that's the dealer most local to me.

In reply via email to my direct inquiry on the topic: "We would not be able to accept your Q on trade at this time."

A trade-in could be a convenient way to get this done, but his reply seemed pretty clear to me. Maybe I'm just not a VI

I’m  surprised at that response.  Are you sure you’ve identified the right store.  I’ve looked at Leica Miami website and they clearly show secondhand Q and M models.  If they stop doing trades, it would affect sales of new items.  I think you should specifically visit the store and  ask again but ask a senior staff member.

good luck.

11 minutes ago, lucerne said:

I’m  surprised at that response.  Are you sure you’ve identified the right store.  I’ve looked at Leica Miami website and they clearly show secondhand Q and M models.  If they stop doing trades, it would affect sales of new items.  I think you should specifically visit the store and  ask again but ask a senior staff member.

good luck.

Pretty sure it's the official/correct store (email is "@leicastoremiami.com").  Visiting in person isn't easy as I'm in Tampa and Miami is about 4 hours drive, so I'll defer to whatever someone local might be able to find out.  Agree that trade-ins would make a purchase probably more convenient and likely.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, nariza7 said:

are trade-ins usually like 80% fair market value, but special promotion trade-ins are 90%? or what’s a good trade in incentive

I don't know for sure and am not contemplating trading in my Q at this moment. But if I did, I would expect to be able to walk into the Leica Manhattan SOHO store where I purchased my Q about a year ago, and get credit towards purchase of Q2 more or less equivalent to the price of the Q in perfect condition on ebay (as opposed to for example selling my Q to B&H where they would pay at least $1k to $1.5k less than what is listed on ebay for that same Q in perfect condition).

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, lucerne said:

good luck.

Agreed. I've never experienced LS Miami declining trade ins, especially for desirable cameras such as the OG Q.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dkmoore said:

Agreed. I've never experienced LS Miami declining trade ins, especially for desirable cameras such as the OG Q.

They either meant there is no official "trade-in program" – or – they may not be taking the Q on trade-in right now until the Q2 is out and the used Q prices adjust accordingly.

B&H is giving $2K for the original Q, or they might go higher if you call them and are willing to take store credit.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

They either meant there is no official "trade-in program" – or – they may not be taking the Q on trade-in right now until the Q2 is out and the used Q prices adjust accordingly.

B&H is giving $2K for the original Q, or they might go higher if you call them and are willing to take store credit.

I'm sure you're correct, based on subsequent attempts at clarification.  Whatever the case may be a solid trade-in option could offer a nice path toward a quick purchase, for me at least. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer and the combination of a shiny new toy, early adoption, and an easy path would make me hop on a plane over to Miami or Soho.

To get back a bit onto OP topic my main concern will be whether the Q2 has the "Q magic" in terms of image (I don't know what you call that) and I'm not too concerned about things l like battery or weight.  So there's an argument to wait for what the early adopters show us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jon m said:

I'm sure you're correct, based on subsequent attempts at clarification.  Whatever the case may be a solid trade-in option could offer a nice path toward a quick purchase, for me at least. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer and the combination of a shiny new toy, early adoption, and an easy path would make me hop on a plane over to Miami or Soho.

To get back a bit onto OP topic my main concern will be whether the Q2 has the "Q magic" in terms of image (I don't know what you call that) and I'm not too concerned about things l like battery or weight.  So there's an argument to wait for what the early adopters show us.

The Q2 will certainly have "Q magic" because the lens is still the same and I would think the image will render similarly but with a little more resolution and more crop ability. 

An example of this in real terms is the RX1 series. All three iterations were excellent with nominal improvements and the RX1RII still had the MOJO in my opinion. 

• Like 1