bags27

Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy) said:

Dan. I’d be very interested in your take / impressions on IQ of the Q2 versus the Q. You're an experienced Q user. I expect you’d pretty immediately notice any differences good or bad. I’m not asking for an exhaustive test, but instead your experienced perspective. Thanks. 

I wonder that it renders yellows differently, i see it in bright greens too - they seem more vibrant.

I notice that the WB difference between the cameras is odd, I set them both to daylight and took a photo indoors and the image did not match and I had to use the WB picker to get closer.

In one test, at high ISO using the same settings the Q2 image seemed a little darker than the Q

But my tests feel a little limited, and conclusions I make from one image aren't so apparent in other images.

For the most part I think when viewing at the same size at 28mm they look pretty much the same, more MP will give you more room for sharpening though and obviously lots of detail left when you crop.

^^ as you can see my mind is pretty all over the place,

I took some random images on a walk but what I need is real world testing ! Like live music..

L1000035 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

1 hour ago, dancook said:

I wonder that it renders yellows differently, i see it in bright greens too - they seem more vibrant.

I notice that the WB difference between the cameras is odd, I set them both to daylight and took a photo indoors and the image did not match and I had to use the WB picker to get closer.

In one test, at high ISO using the same settings the Q2 image seemed a little darker than the Q

But my tests feel a little limited, and conclusions I make from one image aren't so apparent in other images.

For the most part I think when viewing at the same size at 28mm they look pretty much the same, more MP will give you more room for sharpening though and obviously lots of detail left when you crop.

^^ as you can see my mind is pretty all over the place,

I took some random images on a walk but what I need is real world testing ! Like live music..

L1000035 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Thanks Dan. Exactly what I was wanting. I look forward to your pics in the future and of course any new learnings as you gain experience with the Q2. 

Has any of the Q2 owners tested if the Q Thumbs Up will work on the Q2? Understanding that the Zoom button will be partially covered and less accessible. I very much like the new Thumb grip for the Q2, but it’s not yet available. 

38 minutes ago, ravinj said:

Wowsers.  So that isn’t really something I had thought a lot about.  At that size, it will completely fill up my new 3 TB NAS storage in about 38k images.  It will certainly take me a while to accumulate that many images but that will certainly devour storage space quickly!!!  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is certainly a big change. It is the same with my Sony A7RII - large RAW files ~ 82MB. I now cull images more aggressively, so this large file size is forcing some sort of a discipline!

For backup, I use Google Drive synched to my local disk. 

absolutely! this is actually a blessing in disguise. I have also been culling more and more aggressively (and going back through my archives too - I had so many duplicate pictures, bad pictures, stuff that I kept just in case for years, but never did use etc

I started doing this once I got the X1D (files are 100 mb) and the Q2 will only make me more disciplined

On 3/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, dancook said:

Nothing much exciting, just putting battery onto charge, last one was taken in 50mm crop mode. I have done nothing with the colours, export from lightroom RAW.

links included for full size jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7873/47265125762_7da468f444_o.jpg

28mm Leica Q2 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7920/47317529271_86ffbc90da_o.jpg

28mm Leica Q2 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7826/47265125362_385cd41aed_o.jpg

50mm Leica Q2 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

The difference it makes when you update your software, I mean i loved the yellow before - but I was slowly getting concerned about pinkish reds - all fixed now.

The difference by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Posted (edited)

75mm then 50mm ISO 50 portraits, very quick portraits during a dog walk 

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7905/47328883941_aa37d59c3c_o.jpg&key=fc326302522e4e8bbf619f755ae4c5f3b02427512b3ead2dcbe7940ee0a10a7a">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7873/46414003085_95f2acdd7a_o.jpg&key=a83f937e641c349376b080938bb73e5bf33434346f339a76ab1fb85122ca917e"> Edited by dancook

16 hours ago, MCJ said:

Wowsers.  So that isn’t really something I had thought a lot about.  At that size, it will completely fill up my new 3 TB NAS storage in about 38k images.  It will certainly take me a while to accumulate that many images but that will certainly devour storage space quickly!!!  

You can (losslessly) compress Leica Q/Q2 (and Sony) files by running your images through the free Adobe DNG Converter. After compression, the file size is about 50Mb (instead of 80Mb). 

6 hours ago, SrMi said:

You can (losslessly) compress Leica Q/Q2 (and Sony) files by running your images through the free Adobe DNG Converter. After compression, the file size is about 50Mb (instead of 80Mb). 

Is that the converter that’s used when importing into LR as a DNG? 

Lightroom will let you compress DNG images without the need of an external program.  If you select images then select “Metadata -> Update DNG Previews & Metadata” the DNG files will be compressed.  I was not aware that you can do the same upon import.  If so I might start using that.  It will help on the Q (40ish MB to 24ish MB) as well as the Q2.

18 minutes ago, marchyman said:

Lightroom will let you compress DNG images without the need of an external program.  If you select images then select “Metadata -> Update DNG Previews & Metadata” the DNG files will be compressed.  I was not aware that you can do the same upon import.  If so I might start using that.  It will help on the Q (40ish MB to 24ish MB) as well as the Q2.

SrMi and Marchyman,

You guys are great. Good build on my LR knowledge. 

Thanks

34 minutes ago, marchyman said:

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, you cannot compress DNG files on import to Lightroom. Only non-DNG files (e.g. Sony's ARW) can be compressed if conversion to DNG is specified at import. For Leica DNG files, you need to run "Adobe DNG Converter" application before importing DNG-s, or use your method ('Update DNG Previews & ..").

21 hours ago, Fedro said:

absolutely! this is actually a blessing in disguise. I have also been culling more and more aggressively (and going back through my archives too - I had so many duplicate pictures, bad pictures, stuff that I kept just in case for years, but never did use etc

I started doing this once I got the X1D (files are 100 mb) and the Q2 will only make me more disciplined

Yeah, kind of like film with 36 exposure limit.

11 hours ago, dancook said:

75mm then 50mm ISO 50 portraits, very quick portraits during a dog walk 

Thanks for reminding why cameras exist - to take pictures. With all the talk of 24 vs 47mp, ISO 3200 vs ISO 25,000 it seemed like we were discussing spaceships.

Good snaps. 

3 hours ago, ravinj said:

Thanks for reminding why cameras exist - to take pictures. With all the talk of 24 vs 47mp, ISO 3200 vs ISO 25,000 it seemed like we were discussing spaceships.

Good snaps. 

Haha still only sharing the technical ability of the camera using crop modes  :) 

I’m yet to have chance to photograph something real like street or live music :)