Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Stephen_C:

I think not. From page 79 of the manual:

(I think "ax." should read "max."!)

Stephen

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dancook:

I don't see how you would enable bulb mode and it maxes at 120 seconds when I choose +1 and scroll the dial

Thank you guys! I was desperately looking for that information. Yesterday night I tried to download the PDF manuals from the Leica website but those were all corrupted or with no content (probably dummy files?). 

That's a shame that the Q2 doesn't have a real bulb mode. I was a few times at Leica Park in Wetzlar tried the cameras and lenses of their portfolio but somehow I fell in love with the Q(1) and hoped for a successor that ticks off some shortcomings of that first iteration especially the bulb mode. 

The camera handling and the images that the lens produces are amazing.

1 hour ago, Krusty said:

yes.... it was adjusted correctly. It was not blurry like a wrong diopter setting. It was blurry like interpolation. I saw the pixels... like a Computer Display, which was not running in native resolution 

That is weird, everything I've read has praised the EVF, maybe someone with a Q2 in hand can chime in :)

2 hours ago, Krusty said:

Hi all, 

i was in the L store today and had a look at the Q2. Suprisingly the viewfinder of the Q2 was a little bit blurry and not completely sharp. Compared the Q1 viewfinder was much sharper and clear! The Q2 had Firmware 1.0. 

There were moiree effects, and the focus peaking was also strange. 

Does anybody have both cameras or know, what this issue could be?

maybe it was a q2 prototype or the firmware will improve this?

What did the dealer have to say about your observation?

Am 12.3.2019 um 06:21 schrieb Krusty:

He agreed and said it must be something mit the font...

...something with the font....

Hi all,

the first persons in the German Q2 forum agree, that they see the blur / Antialiasing / interpolation effect on the viewfinder as well... Just focus to very thin vertical lines, or do a 6x focus peaking or check the numbers and the plus and minus of the exposure correction Scala.... And then compare it to the Q1... maybe the the Q2s viewfinder has a better contrast etc. but it is definitely not as sharp as the Q1 viewfinder. Just test it! 

On 3/10/2019 at 4:10 PM, bags27 said:

Didn't you hear? Last June, Leica released the C-M, a smaller form SL? 😀

A wish and a prayer, really, and we were all really psyched, except it was only a rumor. Although Dr. Kaufmann has promised a less "brutal" version, I'm not sure if anyone thinks it's going to be smaller than the current one. Even the Panasonic S1R is actually larger and heavier than the SL. 

If there has been one common criticism of the SL outside of the high price, it has been the perception that it is too big (rightfully so or not). Since it's being rumored they will not incorporate IBIS into the SL2, my hope remains high for a smaller body.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, Krusty said:

...something with the font....

Hi all,

the first persons in the German Q2 forum agree, that they see the blur / Antialiasing / interpolation effect on the viewfinder as well... Just focus to very thin vertical lines, or do a 6x focus peaking or check the numbers and the plus and minus of the exposure correction Scala.... And then compare it to the Q1... maybe the the Q2s viewfinder has a better contrast etc. but it is definitely not as sharp as the Q1 viewfinder. Just test it! 

I agree too. Tried the Q2 twice at the store. At first i wasn't sure. It wasn't just the fonts, the actual image looked pixelated.

One thing i wanted to test out was whether or not that happens when you use for a long time. Since i didn't notice it as soon as i picked up the camera and having used it for about 45mins continuously i thought maybe its some feature where the performance of the EVF is degraded so the camera doesn't heat up. Went back another day and i tested it again and it was apparent as soon as i powered up the camera. Both the fonts and the image looked weird. Tried the diopter adjustment too but it didn't do anything.

There's definitely something going on and its weird since it's a 3.68 megapixels OLED EVF. Hope they fix it with a firmware update!

That said i'm on the waiting list and eagerly awaiting getting a Q2 😉

And i hope they add lossless compression to the files even if that affects the buffer, i can accept the caveat (given you can turn compression on/off).

I am wondering why all reports / reviews praise the new EVF... in my opinion it is a step back compared to the Q1 EVF. It was much sharper and less blurry than the Q2 EVF....

UPDATE **** I found out, that the viewfinder is only Blurry, when it is in Live-View / Photography Mode... When you switch to Play-Mode it is completely sharp. You can easily see it, when you look at the exposure correction scala or at the exposure time value. You both see this objects in capture and in play mode. In play mode these objects and the image itself is completely sharp and has the same quality as the Q1

Edited by Krusty

29 minutes ago, Krusty said:

I am wondering why all reports / reviews praise the new EVF... in my opinion it is a step back compared to the Q1 EVF. It was much sharper and less blurry than the Q2 EVF....

UPDATE **** I found out, that the viewfinder is only Blurry, when it is in Live-View / Photography Mode... When you switch to Play-Mode it is completely sharp. You can easily see it, when you look at the exposure correction scala or at the exposure time value. You both see this objects in capture and in play mode. In play mode these objects and the image itself is completely sharp and has the same quality as the Q1

Cool! Thanks for figuring that out! That means the EVF is more than capable but its degraded.

It seems they are changing the resolution or something so they can keep the refresh rate high?

Honestly for AF-S mode it would be nicer to have the sharp image and fonts and maybe have a ‘sports’ mode where the EVF is a bit degraded.

I would love if the EVF was sharp in photography/live view mode too. Hoping its a firmware update away...

I’m glad it wasn’t just me who noticed by the way :). Thought my eyes were playing tricks with me heh.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb kyriacos:

Cool! Thanks for figuring that out! That means the EVF is more than capable but its degraded.

It seems they are changing the resolution or something so they can keep the refresh rate high?

Honestly for AF-S mode it would be nicer to have the sharp image and fonts and maybe have a ‘sports’ mode where the EVF is a bit degraded.

I would love if the EVF was sharp in photography/live view mode too. Hoping its a firmware update away...

I’m glad it wasn’t just me who noticed by the way :). Thought my eyes were playing tricks with me heh.

Could you also reproduce this behavior?

34 minutes ago, Krusty said:

Could you also reproduce this behavior?

Didn’t look at the EVF when in play mode.

I only noticed the blurring when taking photos. But what you discovered is that they are in fact changing the resolution when in live view mode, which means they can fix it. I can only say that photo/live view mode is blurry and not at all high res.

Also wondering why no-one else noticed this. It’s pretty apparent. Maybe the display models are running a different firmware? Hoping someone else can chime in..

Do you own a Q2 or are you checking out the display ones at the store?

We should possibly create another thread and see if others noticed it. Since by now this is buried pretty deep in this thread.

vor 1 Minute schrieb kyriacos:

Didn’t look at the EVF when in play mode.

I only noticed the blurring when taking photos. But what you discovered is that they are in fact changing the resolution when in live view mode, which means they can fix it. I can only say that photo/live view mode is blurry and not at all high res.

Also wondering why no-one else noticed this. It’s pretty apparent. Maybe the display models are running a different firmware? Hoping someone else can chime in..

Do you own a Q2 or are you checking out the display ones at the store?

We should possibly create another thread and see if others noticed it. Since by now this is buried pretty deep in this thread.

I agree, we should start a own thread. I checked it at the Q2 in the store and since today I have a Q2 and it is the same. Can you start it at the English Forum, i will add my infos as well and i start it at the German forum. 

Just now, Krusty said:

I agree, we should start a own thread. I checked it at the Q2 in the store and since today I have a Q2 and it is the same. Can you start it at the English Forum, i will add my infos as well and i start it at the German forum. 

Sounds good. I’ll add the quotes from you too in the thread. I don’t speak German so let us know what others say :). 

Odd. I've never had a Q, but I played with a Q2 side by side with my CL, and thought the Q2 was slightly, but only slightly better than the CL - i.e. pretty good.

I wonder if they are still working out how to manipulate 47mp liveview images on the fly i.e. twice as many pixels as in the Q.
It may indicate that the Q2 has not quite enough processing power to throw around a full res liveview display, or it may be just they haven't tweaked it right yet, and will improve it with a f/w upgrade once they can be sure it will not degrade responsiveness.

8 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Odd. I've never had a Q, but I played with a Q2 side by side with my CL, and thought the Q2 was slightly, but only slightly better than the CL - i.e. pretty good.

I wonder if they are still working out how to manipulate 47mp liveview images on the fly i.e. twice as many pixels as in the Q.
It may indicate that the Q2 has not quite enough processing power to throw around a full res liveview display, or it may be just they haven't tweaked it right yet, and will improve it with a f/w upgrade once they can be sure it will not degrade responsiveness.

I hope so. Honestly, not a deal breaker since i don't tend to stare at the EVF, but it would be nice if they fixed it somehow. I'd rather they first add lossless compression given the files are 80mb 😅