bags27

Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Didn’t want to start new thread, but if Leica does release SL2 in a more streamlined design (w/o EVF hump) - that could be something I’d go for - so I guess I’ll wait for that before I spend money on Q2. 

(Done some calculations and M240 + 28/2 ASPH would net almost the same as the cost of the Q2 with the current prices)

Is there any insight into how far you can push sharpening Q2 images versus Q images. I’ve been particularly impressed with how strong the Q images are. I think the absence of a low pass filter adds a lot to the resolving power of that sensor and certainly IMHO its a lot better than my Canon 5D3. Just curious if anyone with a Q2 has a sense of any differences between the two cameras. Thanks. 

12 hours ago, hexx said:

Didn’t want to start new thread, but if Leica does release SL2 in a more streamlined design (w/o EVF hump) - that could be something I’d go for - so I guess I’ll wait for that before I spend money on Q2. 

(Done some calculations and M240 + 28/2 ASPH would net almost the same as the cost of the Q2 with the current prices)

Didn't you hear? Last June, Leica released the C-M, a smaller form SL? 😀

A wish and a prayer, really, and we were all really psyched, except it was only a rumor. Although Dr. Kaufmann has promised a less "brutal" version, I'm not sure if anyone thinks it's going to be smaller than the current one. Even the Panasonic S1R is actually larger and heavier than the SL. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, SrMi said:

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, you cannot compress DNG files on import to Lightroom. Only non-DNG files (e.g. Sony's ARW) can be compressed if conversion to DNG is specified at import. For Leica DNG files, you need to run "Adobe DNG Converter" application before importing DNG-s, or use your method ('Update DNG Previews & ..").

I had always thought that lossless compression was automatic when importing DNG using the Import as DNG option. I just checked comparing files on the card and imported files and there is no difference, from my SL at least. I shall have to experiment with the other methods. 
Edit .....And that does work using the Update Previews method. How strange. I have 10's of thousands of DNGs imported without lossless compression then!
Thanks for teaching me something SrMi.

Edited by hoppyman

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, hoppyman said:

I think that you will find that, If you import DNG in Lightroom using the Import as DNG option the lossless compression is automatically applied. 

I have tried it before posting about it and that is not the case for DNG files. When importing with "Copy as DNG" option, LR always reports "Non-raw files were not converted to DNG." and it just copies the files and does not apply compression. If I import non-DNG raw files with "Copy as DNG", the resulting DNG files get compressed.

Have you tried it? Please elaborate on how were you able to do it. Thanks.

Edit: saw that you also noticed that DNG files do not get compressed at import.

Edited by SrMi

27 minutes ago, hoppyman said:

I had always thought that lossless compression was automatic when importing DNG using the Import as DNG option. I just checked comparing files on the card and imported files and there is no difference, from my SL at least. I shall have to experiment with the other methods. 
Edit .....And that does work using the Update Previews method. How strange. I have 10's of thousands of DNGs imported without lossless compression then!
Thanks for teaching me something SrMi.

My pleasure and thanks to marchyman for teaching us about Metadata -> Update DNG Preview...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/9/2019 at 6:45 PM, marchyman said:

Lightroom will let you compress DNG images without the need of an external program.  If you select images then select “Metadata -> Update DNG Previews & Metadata” the DNG files will be compressed.  I was not aware that you can do the same upon import.  If so I might start using that.  It will help on the Q (40ish MB to 24ish MB) as well as the Q2.

Using the Lightroom - Metadata - Update DNG Preview and Metadata, downsized my Q file from 44.7MB to 27.7MB. A 38% reduction. 

6 hours ago, iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy) said:

Using the Lightroom - Metadata - Update DNG Preview and Metadata, downsized my Q file from 44.7MB to 27.7MB. A 38% reduction. 

And what price do you pay in image quality terms? 

It's lossless compression so should be no impact on image quality, I presume the reason the Q2 doesn't do it is to reduce the overhead on the processor.

4 hours ago, wda said:

And what price do you pay in image quality terms? 

I’m not seeing anything obvious. I’ll look more closely going forward. I do not expect any loss of IQ. It’s looking like a good housekeeping action that will reduce my ovetall LR file size. 

I wonder if you can do the same in Adobe Bridge (I ask, because I use PS, not LR). Under "Tools" you can create a new metadata template. will that do it? or does it require a program as well as a template?

Just now, bags27 said:

I wonder if you can do the same in Adobe Bridge (I ask, because I use PS, not LR). Under "Tools" you can create a new metadata template. will that do it? or does it require a program as well as a template?

I would try the Adobe plug-in for a Photoshop listed above. I also highly recommend LR. It works so well and in tandem with PS. Happy to help you get past the learning curve. 

thanks so much as always, Dan. I actually used that program some time ago for something else. But I misstated my interest, actually. I should have said it's the psd files that PS produces that I'd like compressed. They can easily run into the several hundred mbs. There are some ways to reduce that before output. But sometimes they do get huge!

35 minutes ago, bags27 said:

thanks so much as always, Dan. I actually used that program some time ago for something else. But I misstated my interest, actually. I should have said it's the psd files that PS produces that I'd like compressed. They can easily run into the several hundred mbs. There are some ways to reduce that before output. But sometimes they do get huge!

Ah. .PSD. I have the same challenge. I’m no help. 😩

On 3/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, dancook said:

75mm then 50mm ISO 50 portraits, very quick portraits during a dog walk 

Dan. What’s your reaction to moving the thumb wheel to the right a little more than on the Q? I’m reading some think its more difficult to reach with the thumb. I don’t have access to a Q2 and won’t so its a question. My guess is it’s just different and I’ll adapt to it. Thanks. 

48 minutes ago, iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy) said:

Dan. What’s your reaction to moving the thumb wheel to the right a little more than on the Q? I’m reading some think its more difficult to reach with the thumb. I don’t have access to a Q2 and won’t so its a question. My guess is it’s just different and I’ll adapt to it. Thanks. 

It’s a little harder sure, if I hold the camera in one hand it’s damn difficult to move left with thumb actually. Ok with two hands and alternative holding methods :) 

@dancook:
I have one question about the Q2:
Is there a real bulb mode implemented in the Q2 that is not limited to 120s as max. exposure time like the Q1?

I can't find any information about this particular part.

18 minutes ago, R4p70r said:

is there a real bulb mode implemented in the Q2 that is not limited to 120s as max. exposure time like the Q1?

I think not. From page 79 of the manual:

LONG-TERM EXPOSURE – T
In this setting, the shutter remains open after shutter release until the shutter button is pressed again (ax. 2 min depending on ISO setting).

(I think "ax." should read "max."!)

Stephen

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, R4p70r said:

@dancook:
I have one question about the Q2:
Is there a real bulb mode implemented in the Q2 that is not limited to 120s as max. exposure time like the Q1?

I can't find any information about this particular part.

I don't see how you would enable bulb mode and it maxes at 120 seconds when I choose +1 and scroll the dial

Edited by dancook

Hi all, 

i was in the L store today and had a look at the Q2. Suprisingly the viewfinder of the Q2 was a little bit blurry and not completely sharp. Compared the Q1 viewfinder was much sharper and clear! The Q2 had Firmware 1.0. 

There were moiree effects, and the focus peaking was also strange. 

Does anybody have both cameras or know, what this issue could be?

maybe it was a q2 prototype or the firmware will improve this?