Leica Q-P released!

There is no reason to buy this cosmetically upgraded Q-P if you already own the Q. Don't step into this Leica trap and use your hard earned money for real upgrades instead (or just be happy with what you have and start photographing again, you'll love it!) 

6 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

At the moment, with "just" 24MP, I can arrive at a very similar camera by mounting my 28mm ASPH Summicron on the M240, albeit a bit bigger. I am totally happy with MF rather than AF. A Q2 with a 42 or 54 MP sensor would be very attractive to me, as a pocketable camera.

+1

I love the look of this version but now have to wait for the Q2-P......

People pay to have the badges of their Audi’s, BMW’s, Mercedes and Porsche’s removed. Inverse snobbery is not such a hard concept to grasp. Just because you enjoy something of high quality doesn’t mean you want to be conspicuous and flaunt it.

Paying $4.5k for a camera that produces exceptional images in the right hands seems very reasonable to me. You only have to look at the images posted here to see what it’s capable of. But if you need a long spec sheet to pixelbrag then maybe it’s not the right camera for you. You have a choice to move on to something else if you wish.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like it. It makes the Q starker and simpler looking. The shutter release change is good, although I wish they'd put a threaded receptacle for a cable release in it (just like I want for the CL). 

I can never understand why people complain about this sort of cosmetic stuff so much. If you don't like it, don't want to pay the premium for it, just buy the standard model. Sometimes it's worth the additional price—like for the M10-P or M10-D—for minor, upgraded features or whatever, but in the end it simply means more choice for buyers. The buyers seem to like it and that's good for Leica. 

I would like to see a Q with a longer focal length lens, 50 to 60mm. But that will take major re-engineering work. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

People pay to have the badges of their Audi’s, BMW’s, Mercedes and Porsche’s removed. Inverse snobbery is not such a hard concept to grasp. Just because you enjoy something of high quality doesn’t mean you want to be conspicuous and flaunt it.

Paying $4.5k for a camera that produces exceptional images in the right hands seems very reasonable to me. You only have to look at the images posted here to see what it’s capable of. But if you need a long spec sheet to pixelbrag then maybe it’s not the right camera for you. You have a choice to move on to something else if you wish.

I get it that people can be emotional about luxury brands, and I agree the Q is a fine camera. But what I fail to understand is that people would buy this "new" Q-P when they already own a Q. It's basically old wine in new bottles.

Edited by WvE

8 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Is this a last hurrah for the Q and indicative that a Q2 with a higher MP sensor is on the way? Normally I would find 24MP more than enough and have M240, SL and CL in this pixel count. However with a fixed 28mm lens, I would often be cropping and there, more pixels would be a distinct advantage. My guess is that a Q2 will use a 42MP sensor or maybe even 54, using the same 4µm pixel spacing as the CL's APS-C sensor (whose low light performance is perfectly acceptable). At the moment, with "just" 24MP, I can arrive at a very similar camera by mounting my 28mm ASPH Summicron on the M240, albeit a bit bigger. I am totally happy with MF rather than AF. A Q2 with a 42 or 54 MP sensor would be very attractive to me, as a pocketable camera.

Wilson

+1

1 hour ago, WvE said:

I get it that people can be emotional about luxury brands, and I agree the Q is a fine camera. But what I fail to understand is that people would buy this "new" Q-P when they already own a Q. It's basically old wine in new bottles.

I can't imagine why people who already own this fine camera would do that either, unless they really liked it enough that the new styling appealed to them and they wanted the "more special" model. I think the appeal is more to those who have been thinking of a Q and are now tickled by this particular style edition. 

With a camera as good as a Q or M or whatever other thing Leica makes, there are really (for the most part) vanishingly small reasons to 'need' to upgrade. Most buyers do it because they want something different, or slightly more special, etc: Functionality improvements are usually small things that only really make for better photos in a few circumstances, or make you feel better about the camera. 

As example, I'm delighted by my M-D typ 262 and didn't need/want the TTL viewing/focusing afforded by the M10 EVF when I had the SL. Since I sold the SL, I bought the CL for that functionality, but I'm tempted by the M10-D for the TTL capabilities with a FF sensor, and in use it retains the ergonomics of the M-D for the most part. So I might buy one of those in addition to the M-D; if I couldn't afford it otherwise, I might sell the M-D to help fund the purchase (but believe me, I'm sure that's not gonna happen... :D ). 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

"A Statement of Understatement" (Leica's words, not mine)

Isn't there already a Camouflage Grey edition of the Q? (and Khaki, etc.) Changing color schemes is not an improvement.

If the idea is to be stealthy, Leica is going to have to change the shape of the Lens Hood. I have black electrical tape over the

red Leica logo and had 2 people on 2 different occasions in 2 different states recognize the Q as a Leica because of the rectangular Hood.

Where are the real improvements? Weather/dust sealing? Why is it so difficult to relocate the Single and Continuous positions on the power switch?

If Video is going to stay, why isn't 24fps available?

Puzzling, and more than sufficient reason to keep my "old" Q.

2 hours ago, WvE said:

Same wine, same bottle, different label.

Looks nice though, if I was going to buy a Q I'd probably stump up the extra dosh for this one. 

• Like 3

vor 3 Stunden schrieb WvE:

Yes, exactly. And people who have no Q yet but would like to own one (like me!) will probably wait for the successor. Even though we said it earlier in this thread that the Q is an excellent tool we all know that the new one will certainly be better again. That is worth waiting until next spring.

9 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I agree but i actually think many buy the inconspicuous versions in order to be MORE conspicuous. It's the "that's a leica, isn't it? Wow, where's the red dot? Oh, you have one with the red dot removed, how cool!" feeling. People remove the 318i from their BMWs not because they are embarrassed it's a 318i, but so people will think it's may be a 330i. The badge-less car attracts even more attention as does a badge-less camera.

I completely get how one can be even more brand conscious by removing the logo. I just don't for a minute believe that the real objective is to be understated. Even gaffer tape is a sign of being "in the club".

9 hours ago, WvE said:

There is no reason to buy this cosmetically upgraded Q-P if you already own the Q. Don't step into this Leica trap and use your hard earned money for real upgrades instead (or just be happy with what you have and start photographing again, you'll love it!) 

This I agree with because I already own the Q. However if I did not have one I would buy the Q-P model asap.

18 hours ago, koiroy said:

I;m sorry, what is the point of no Red Dot on this $5000.00 product?

I have been in brand marketing for 40 years, and would never would recommend such a tactic.

perhaps you haven't noticed that the red dot has been replaced by a very prominent logo on the top plate?

19 hours ago, koiroy said:

I;m sorry, what is the point of no Red Dot on this $5000.00 product?

I have been in brand marketing for 40 years, and would never would recommend such a tactic.

The 'red dot' wasn't always on Leica cameras... but the script Leica has been on there for many more years... since the Leica 2, in the early thirties and the first Leica with a built in rangefinder, if I recall correctly... So if anything, the current/recent 'P' versions with no red dot and the Leica script are more true to the original branding than any red dot... which I think didn't appear until the M4-P and/or M4-2 and then it was Leitz rather than Leica on the silver script... 'Leica' within a red dot was even later.

(If I'm correct about the M4-P, its ironic really, that it was the 'P' version that first had the red dot...

Im prepared to be corrected on this though, my Leica knowledge isn't as great as many on here...).

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 2