Soft-release button

Lucena

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Five days ago I bought a soft release button in a Leica store. The vendor tightened it in my cam and told me Iwould not loose it. Every morning since I verified it was tightened, even though I lost it today...

As you can imagined I am pissed. Before getting a new one I would like to know if this happened to anyone and if glueing it would be an option...

Not meaning to be dismissive, but soft releases are not useful.

Try sliding your finger into the shutter release detente.

Seriously, Leica got that right.

Lucena,

I disagree with the motion that soft-release buttons are not useful - on the contrary, I find them very useful, almost essential. Every M I have ever owned or own now has one, HOWEVER, please be warned that not all Loctite is equal. If you want to secure your soft-releasebutton to keep it from coming off, make sure you only use  a very small amount  of  BLUE Loctite, ( I would siggest applying a tiny droplet with the tip of a toothpick ) which holds well, but not so well that you cannot dislodge the part you're tryiing to keep from loosening.  RED Loctite would be totally inappropriate as it is extremely difficult to break loose once applied and the camera may have to go to Leica for repairs.

After a while use of the software-release will become second nature and you will love it,

Good Luck,

JZG

Edited by pop
Wrong color was recommended; fixed the text to prevent anyone from using wrong type of glue.
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lucena,

I disagree with the motion that soft-release buttons are not useful - on the contrary, I find them very useful, almost essential. Every M I have ever owned or own now has one, HOWEVER, please be warned that not all Loctite is equal. If you want to secure your soft-releasebutton to keep it from coming off, make sure you only use  a very small amount  of 

BLUE Loctite, ( I would siggest applying a tiny droplet with the tip of a toothpick ) which holds well, but not so well that you cannot dislodge the part you're tryiing to keep from loosening. 

RED Loctite would be totally inappropriate as it is extremely difficult to break loose once applied and the camera may have to go to Leica for repairs.

After a while use of the software-release will become second nature and you will love it,

Good Luck,

JZG

I really enjoyed it for the few days I had it... And really miss it... I am in the Faroe Islands for some more days but as soon as I come back home I will purchase another... and follow your advice on red loctite, thanks.

Edited by pop
Fixed the quote

Lucena,

I disagree with the motion that soft-release buttons are not useful -(...)

Good Luck,

JZG

Are you sure this is not the wrong way round? The Loctite website quoted above says use red for permanent locking, and blue where disassembly is required for servicing. I've never had trouble removing a thread from blue Loctite before. No need to use a lot of it though.

Edited by pop
Fixed the quote.
  • Like 2

I picked up a soft-release button for my M4-P years ago after it was recommended to me. Used it once and hated the damn thing. Leica got it right without an extra 'button-on-top-of-a-button' arrangement.

It's in the back of a drawer somewhere. As camera gadgets go, up there with some of my more pointless purchases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you sure this is not the wrong way round? The Loctite website quoted above says use red for permanent locking, and blue where disassembly is required for servicing. I've never had trouble removing a thread from blue Loctite before. No need to use a lot of it though.

Definitively, it's the Blue one - in specific Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242 -  see http://m.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/0/15/t_lkr_blue/Loctite-Threadlocker

Charles

• Like 1

Lucena,

I apologize for giving you erroneous information. I have my recommendation backwards, since it's been a while that I had to use Loctite.

The RED Loctite is much too strong and should not be used in this application, rather you should use the BLUE Loctite, since it's formulated to be a "medium strength" threadlocker that can be unscrewed.

Sorry,

JZG

• Like 1

As you can imagine I am pissed.

You should be glad. User pico is right—those so-called "soft-release" buttons are not useful. To the contrary, they make it harder to fine-control the release, and they can even be detrimental to the camera's shutter-release mechanism. Rather than adorning the camera with those dreaded buttons, one should learn the proper technique (which isn't too hard).

You should be glad. User pico is right—those so-called "soft-release" buttons are not useful. To the contrary, they make it harder to fine-control the release, and they can even be detrimental to the camera's shutter-release mechanism. Rather than adorning the camera with those dreaded buttons, one should learn the proper technique (which isn't too hard).

I disagree, I found myself very comfortable with mine... for the short time it lasted...

• Like 1