Leica Q-P released!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, SonomaBear said:

Disappointed.  "P" has always meant "Premium" with slightly better specs, enhancements, etc.  The only "improvement" is the shutter release -- I "shudder" to think that alone is an upgrade. 

I'll keep carrying my "old" Q everywhere -- with gaffer tape over the dot and mic holes.  It's perfect stealth for the Bear!

I converted my Q to a Q-P months ago with a bit of black tape however I do like the new black colour although not sure how the brown strap fits into the concept.

• Like 2

The Q is successful for the price point for the features it offers. At the same time the Q is also sucessful because of its form factor which is very much similar to that of a M.

Precisely the reason I sold my Sony AR Mirror-less and bought the Q. The Sony Digital Cameras are Computers with lenses. My 4 year old neighbor took an excellent photo when the Sony was set to fully automatic. That is not photography, IMO.

The Q appeals to the person who wants to control aperture, shutter speed and focus instead of having the camera (computer) do it for them. 

Having said that, I am not going to trade my Q with the red logo and orange lens markings for the Q-P that offers no improvements worthy of making the switch, other than "stealth" capabilities which can be duplicated easily with electrical tape. (Note  that a very visible Leica Logo with the made in Wetzlar tag line was added to the top of the Q-P. Not exactly a stealth move on Leica's part.)

Where's the weather sealing? Why is the power switch still designed to put you into continuous mode when you want single? Is Leica actually reading the Leica Q Forum posts?

Not impressed.

• Like 2

Congratulations to the Leica design team and marketing teams.

The Q-P is a step forward offering for consumer choice as well as ROI to Leica Camera AG

I suggest the Q product line hits a sweet spot for many varied demographics of consumers and I hope this product line

can help improve Leica's market share and revenue growth (& profitability).

I intend to buy one.

Please keep up this good work in this market segment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SonomaBear said:

I'll keep carrying my "old" Q everywhere -- with gaffer tape over the dot and mic holes.  It's perfect stealth for the Bear!

I've still got 3+ year old tape over my mic holes too....and the dioptre wheel which kept moving by itself. I know a magnum photographer who does the same with his Q.

And my Q almost upgraded itself to a Q-P when the red dot came off.

:lol:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The only mayonnaise for the Leica Q-P owner.

The design of the "P" cameras is always nicer than the non-P that comes before. They should just skip them entirely!

• Haha 1

Is this a last hurrah for the Q and indicative that a Q2 with a higher MP sensor is on the way? Normally I would find 24MP more than enough and have M240, SL and CL in this pixel count. However with a fixed 28mm lens, I would often be cropping and there, more pixels would be a distinct advantage. My guess is that a Q2 will use a 42MP sensor or maybe even 54, using the same 4µm pixel spacing as the CL's APS-C sensor (whose low light performance is perfectly acceptable). At the moment, with "just" 24MP, I can arrive at a very similar camera by mounting my 28mm ASPH Summicron on the M240, albeit a bit bigger. I am totally happy with MF rather than AF. A Q2 with a 42 or 54 MP sensor would be very attractive to me, as a pocketable camera.

Wilson

It's difficult to understand why a company proudly removes the company logo and offers the existing product as "innovative and more decent" at a higher price. I suppose that in the next step the company's name will be totally replaced by "company no. XYZ, Wetzlar Germany". Competitors would pay billions of Dollars to obtain the license for the red dot.

3 hours ago, Voxen said:

5K for a 3 years old fixed lens camera, am I the only one here who find this sick?

As long as that fixed Sumilux lens produces the best IQ available at 28mm and FF (which is still true) they can happily keep selling it (also while 5K is a lot, it seems like a bargain compared to other Leica FF options).

• Like 1

after months of speculation about a new Q, there is inevitably a sense of disappointment when the reality is a very minor upgrade and a price hike. It would be a nice gesture by Leica if we were invited into our nearest dealer to have the new shutter release fitted to our original Q’s ................and have our red dots removed :)

Don’t hold your breath.

Edited by shadow detail