Leica Q-P released!

2 hours ago, Bill Livingston said:

The 'red dot' wasn't always on Leica cameras... but the script Leica has been on there for many more years... since the Leica 2, in the early thirties and the first Leica with a built in rangefinder, if I recall correctly... So if anything, the current/recent 'P' versions with no red dot and the Leica script are more true to the original branding than any red dot... which I think didn't appear until the M4-P and/or M4-2 and then it was Leitz rather than Leica on the silver script... 'Leica' within a red dot was even later.

(If I'm correct about the M4-P, its ironic really, that it was the 'P' version that first had the red dot...

Im prepared to be corrected on this though, my Leica knowledge isn't as great as many on here...).

I don't know for sure if the M4-P was the first to have the Big Red Dot (BRD), but possibly it was not supposed to have one at all.  I have a "Handbook of the LEICA-System" from July 1982 that covers the M4-P, and R4 as the current models, which are represented on the front cover with color photos.  While the R4 has a BRD, the M4-P does not.  Now, I've never seen a photo of an M4-P without the BRD before or after I got the book, so I'm thinking it was a last minute marketing decision to include it.  But since mine is starting to lose some of the covering, when it comes time to recover it, I'll be looking for one that eliminates the hole for the BRD. 

I just think it looks so much better without it, although I'm not considering removing the ones from my R cameras.  Nothing having to do with snobbery (it still says LEICA on the front), it just detracts from the utility of the design of the rangefinder bodies.

PF

Edited by PFM
Additional commentary

Brand visibility is a funny old thing. The same conversations happens with watch collectors who worry someone will notice their 5711/1a. Most people use phones these days both to tell the time and take pictures. For them watch brands and camera brands are inconsequential and irrelevant. The chances of someone coming up to you and saying "Hey is that a 5711/1a?" or "Is that a Leica?" are infinitesimally small.

I would imagine that the Q-P is the last push to capture a small group of existing Q owners who want a "Spare" but need an excuse, not quite knowing what Leica will do to the Q2. The other group are 1st time owners of any Q who may already have an M10-P (or other P version) and want a complementary camera that is similarly discreet. If you already have a Q and don't see the point of another Q that's almost identical, that's OK, as you have just been given an early warning for arrival of the Q2 that you may well be interested in. 

Edited by Le Chef

58 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Brand visibility is a funny old thing. The same conversations happens with watch collectors who worry someone will notice their 5711/1a. Most people use phones these days both to tell the time and take pictures. For them watch brands and camera brands are inconsequential and irrelevant. The chances of someone coming up to you and saying "Hey is that a 5711/1a?" or "Is that a Leica?" are infinitesimally small.

I would imagine that the Q-P is the last push to capture a small group of existing Q owners who want a "Spare" but need an excuse, not quite knowing what Leica will do to the Q2. The other group are 1st time owners of any Q who may already have an M10-P (or other P version) and want a complementary camera that is similarly discreet. If you already have a Q and don't see the point of another Q that's almost identical, that's OK, as you have just been given an early warning for arrival of the Q2 that you may well be interested in. 

Funnily enough i took my Q on a trip recently and everyone recognised it from the red dot and made ooh and aah sounds, even more so when the photos were shared. Leica still holds a cachet imho. It would be nice to retain the dot but may be opt for a black version from the factory. I find the blank screw on my 246 very ugly and I don't quite dare add one of the aftermarket black Leica dots.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by howiebrou

1 hour ago, Viv said:

The Emperor's new clothes. Fools and their money are soon parted.

I rather like the Q-P.

As a more general observation, I'm not sure that those who've bought any   -P series derivative could be described as fools.  Come resale, experience has shown that the -P derivatives are more desirable to buyers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Viv said:

I was referring only to the Q-P,  which seems only a minimal 'improvement' over the bread-and-butter Q (which I own).

If the Q-P has a bigger buffer, a better exterior material etc, then it would justify the P moniker. As it stands, the special editions seem to have even bigger differences.

14 hours ago, howiebrou said:

I agree but i actually think many buy the inconspicuous versions in order to be MORE conspicuous. It's the "that's a leica, isn't it? Wow, where's the red dot? Oh, you have one with the red dot removed, how cool!" feeling. People remove the 318i from their BMWs not because they are embarrassed it's a 318i, but so people will think it's may be a 330i. The badge-less car attracts even more attention as does a badge-less camera.

I completely get how one can be even more brand conscious by removing the logo. I just don't for a minute believe that the real objective is to be understated. Even gaffer tape is a sign of being "in the club".

If BMW were to follow Leica's product strategy, they would release a black BMW 318i. Then 6 months later, a silver one. Half a year after that would be the "professional" version with an engine start button and no badges. And after that would be the "3 Edition 60" version with no windows. Then there would be a Hermes version with leather seats, a safari version but painted in olive drab, and so on ... 

Oh yeah. And they would make watches. Very expensive watches. 

• Like 2

As long as it works for maintaining overall brand awareness, I applaud Leica for a good product marketing sales strategy with the Q-P. They are an exclusive brand no different albeit much smaller than Porsche. 

My guess is they are attempting to hold sales up until a Q2 next spring. A smart business move. 

That the Q still sells after 3 years is a real tribute to how good the original design was. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

If BMW were to follow Leica's product strategy, they would release a black BMW 318i. Then 6 months later, a silver one. Half a year after that would be the "professional" version with an engine start button and no badges. And after that would be the "3 Edition 60" version with no windows. Then there would be a Hermes version with leather seats, a safari version but painted in olive drab, and so on ... 

Oh yeah. And they would make watches. Very expensive watches. 

😂

2 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

As long as it works for maintaining overall brand awareness, I applaud Leica for a good product marketing sales strategy with the Q-P. They are an exclusive brand no different albeit much smaller than Porsche. 

My guess is they are attempting to hold sales up until a Q2 next spring. A smart business move. 

That the Q still sells after 3 years is a real tribute to how good the original design was. 

I do find it strange that they released a Khaki Special Edition just weeks before the Q-P. Seems strange temporal spacing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Viv said:

I was referring only to the Q-P,  which seems only a minimal 'improvement' over the bread-and-butter Q (which I own).

In absolute terms, none of the -P models has/had earth shattering spec changes (who really needs a bigger buffer on an M camera?). 

Speaking for myself, I find the cosmetic changes of the -P models their most alluring feature.  Thus I find myself srangely attracted to the Q-P.  And I've owned both black and Titanium Qs.

• Like 1

To those criticising the value of a Q-P that is more expensive than the Q......
Exactly the same criticisms are made on other forums about the Q compared to cheaper cameras, and about Leicas in general compared to Sonys. 
Get over it: there is NO simple and obvious quantitative relationship relationship between the design and functionality of Leica cameras and their price.
The justification for the higher price of the Q-P is that people are prepared to pay it - exactly the same justification that applies to any Leica.

• Like 6

I handled the Q-P today at the Leica Gallery, Melbourne. 

Three aspects stood out.  

The matt black finish looks very smart. Much nicer than the silver or standard black. It is almost chalkboard black, with no reflection. Very stealthy and high precision in appearance. The red filled engraving on the lens is very sharp, too.

The Leica script on the top plate looks like it belongs. Then again I only own film Leicas, and they all have the Leica script. It seems wrong not to have it.

The shutter release button resembles the other Leica M (including film). It feels more natural to me because you can feel the edge of the button in the pad of your finger.  The standard Q release is a wide dome, and doesn’t have the same tactility.  However, the half-press to release action is basically identical. 

If i could afford it, I would have bought one immediately. 

Cheers,

J  :)

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

To those criticising the value of a Q-P that is more expensive than the Q......
Exactly the same criticisms are made on other forums about the Q compared to cheaper cameras, and about Leicas in general compared to Sonys. 
Get over it: there is NO simple and obvious quantitative relationship relationship between the design and functionality of Leica cameras and their price.
The justification for the higher price of the Q-P is that people are prepared to pay it - exactly the same justification that applies to any Leica.

That's very true of course. As long as Leica makes sufficient profit from people willing to step into this "upgrade" or "special edition" trap, there is no reason for Leica to come with meaningful upgrades sooner. Personally, I find it a bit cheap and disrespectful towards its customers, they deserve true upgrades and not luring them to pay more for basically nothing more.          

Edited by WvE
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, WvE said:

That's very true of course. As long as Leica makes sufficient profit from people willing to step into this "upgrade" or "special edition" trap, there is no reason for Leica to come with meaningful upgrades sooner. Personally, I find it a bit cheap and disrespectful towards its customers, they deserve true upgrades and not luring them to pay more for basically nothing more.          

My point is that your comments apply equally to the Q and to Leicas as a whole. The value of them is what people are prepared to pay for what they offer. Clearly the Q-P offers no added value to you. Nor to me, for that matter, but I don't see why others shouldn't buy it they wish.

You may wish to spend time on a dpreview Sony forum telling its members why you think Leicas offer value for money compared to Sonys. But wait till I've got behind my flame-proof shield before you start.

• Like 3