Soft shutter release button

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Right ! That thread is to sell a small piece of metal at an inflated price. Even Leica themselves advertise it as a piece of decoration Not surprising as quite a few buyers regard their Leica as an object to decorate with as many overpriced gizmos as possible. ( 300$ lens hoods and straps, a flotilla of thumb rests, fancy half cases designed to match designer coats, carrying cases, snatch-thief attracting carrying cases, etc ). 

• Like 1

I hope the Q3 shutter button is designed for the release in more ways than just the thread.  A friend with a Q2, who likes releases on all is other cameras, decided to double-back tape a flat soft release button to the top of his Q2 release.  In a short order of time, the Q2 button broke off leaving a hole in its place.  It was not designed to withstand the sidewise force and the tiny little stem holding the W release button broke down inside the camera.  Fortunately I was able to apply a small drop of epoxy and glue it back and so far it is holding up.  Otherwise I guess he will have to send it in to Leica for a repair which will probably cost quite a pretty penny.

Has anybody had any shutter release breakages on the Q3 due to a soft shutter release being added?

If the shutter speed dial is located close to the front of camera (e.g., on film cameras), I find the soft release button useful and functional. I place the tip of my index finger on the shutter speed dial and release the shutter by flattening my index finger, which I find is “softer release”.

The shutter speed dial on Q3 is located close to the back. So, this method does not work at least for me.

By the way, this might be a well know thingy. I use a piece of rubber hair tie/ band to lock the soft release button when stored in the bag. With this, the camera has never released the shutter while being in the bag or I never lost the button (while I have lost a few hair ties…lol). YMMV.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Made of brass.
Rubber ring underneath and another one to give some friction when tightening. The latter is visible on the photo.
A small drop of tread-lock applied.
Finger-tip on shutter-dial and first finger-joint presses on the little bug.😄

Edited by Strmbrg
  • Like 1

I ordered Q3, first Leica, and saw these on every camera so I ordered one too assuming they were a must have.  Just a black one not for decoration as it appeared to serve a purpose.  I am going to shoot some today and I am removing it before for the reason JAAPV stated.  It makes me feel like I am jabbing at shutter button with no control and adding shake.  In 4 fps mode I can never take less pics and maybe that is how the Q3 works but on any camera I have had before whether set on single or multiple I could control how many frames actually fired.  I think it's the extra button making this happen.

Gotta admit…I see shutter release buttons as the Valentine Day Holiday…basically invented by Hallmark to sell cards.

Twenty years ago no one had even heard of a shutter release button (strangely lots of good photos were taken without them).

Now no self respecting photographer doesn’t use them 😂😂

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

51 minutes ago, bobtodrick said:

A bit of an exaggeration there.  :-) I think we've had several "self respecting" photographers even on this thread saying "No way."

13 minutes ago, pcgarner said:

A bit of an exaggeration there.  🙂 I think we've had several "self respecting" photographers even on this thread saying "No way."

I agree with you.  I consider myself a ‘self respecting’ photographer.  I tried one about ten years ago…it fell of after a week or so…didn’t replace it 😂

• Like 1

I confirmed today that, for me, it is much, much better without the extra button.  Seemed to have much more feel of the shutter release without it.  Luckily I didn't order the crazy expensive ones that were not available at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

Gotta admit…I see shutter release buttons as the Valentine Day Holiday…basically invented by Hallmark to sell cards.

Twenty years ago no one had even heard of a shutter release button (strangely lots of good photos were taken without them).

40 (50?) years ago, Nikon made one for the F2 (called the AR-1, if I remember correctly…) seemingly now selling at £65 on eBay.

33 minutes ago, Wolfs head said:

40 (50?) years ago, Nikon made one for the F2 (called the AR-1, if I remember correctly…) seemingly now selling at £65 on eBay.

Yes, I have one on my mid seventies version F2SB.  It made the using the camera easier with all the other things protruding from the top.😉

I used to have one on a Fuji X100f and could not understand why the battery was running down when the camera was off. It turned out the camera bag lid was lightly pressing on the top of the soft release which created a live circuit, even when the camera was off. I removed the release and had no more problems. I do not have one on my Q2.

2 hours ago, Wolfs head said:

You are correct...there were a few in the past...but I hold by my statement...it is only in the last 20 or so years that they have become a 'must have'.  Oddly enough one of the cameras I had long ago was a Nikon F2s...I managed to take a lot of photos (I was shooting fashion photography then) without an AR-1 🤣

2 hours ago, Wolfs head said:

Like this?

Posted (edited)

When only real ladybirds landed on cameras. 1930’s all metal soft release. Works well.

Edited by Pyrogallol

I use this little thing from Squarehood - bought two for my X100V as I’d heard the “horror” stories of them coming loose and falling off. I swear it has improved my photography ten fold and looks so much better than those Leica beer bottle caps 🤪.

In all seriousness, I had it lying around so I thought why not.

• Like 1

Soft shutter release, why do you need it?

Just to dress up your camera? It's pointless. I take photos of up to 20secs without a tripod. 1. Set the self timer, rest the camera on something solid, hold steady and press the shutter release, then patience, until exposure and noise reduction does its stuff.

Try it one evening... Amaze yourself.

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2024 at 12:29 PM, Moke said:

Soft shutter release, why do you need it?

Just to dress up your camera? It's pointless. I take photos of up to 20secs without a tripod. 1. Set the self timer, rest the camera on something solid, hold steady and press the shutter release, then patience, until exposure and noise reduction does its stuff.

Try it one evening... Amaze yourself.

I don’t need a soft shutter release, just like I didn’t need a new leather strap.

Some people like to dress up their cameras. Whether it be with an SSR or nice leather/rope/silk or whatever strap, a half case to match their shirt/skirt/jodhpurs. To them it’s not pointless. So you do you, I’ll do me and they’ll do them.

Very little in life is pointless.

Peace ✌

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2