Leica Q-P released!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I assume the current Match Technical EP-SQ2 black Thumbs Up does not match the new matte black finish of the Q-P?

How about Leica's own Handgrip for Leica Q, does it match with the diamond pattern textured grip on the body of the Q-P? (Leica didn't release another handgrip accessory like they did a silver thumbs support for the silver CL)

I just picked up the Q-P today and am in love with the subtle but very pleasing changes. The matte black finish is beautifully executed over the entire body, not just the top and bottom plates. Everything including all the control dials,lens hood and lens cover are all finished in the matte, non-glare smooth black finish. As a result, the white numbers and letters all seem to be brighter and easier to read, including the white directional diamonds in the 4-way controller on the right side of the screen. These directional diamonds were previously not a contrasting color and its a very nice subtle improvement. The white Leica script and address engraved on the top plate are perfect in their crisp retro visual appeal, much like looking at a black M-4. The shutter control ring is much easier to use, as it now has 5 deeper "teeth" on the outer dial for better and easier finger control instead of the 4 very shallow indents on the regular Q, and a smoother, more positive movement between the 3 settings, also much easier when the Q is in use with both hands at eye level. I found on the regular Q that it was necessary to use 2 fingers to positively move from "OFF" to "S" and back, also taking the camera from my eye. The Q-P has changed that in such a smooth way that you smile when you think how it is now more fun and refined to use.  Leica has put a lot of thought into making a great camera even better. Bravo!!

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 12:16 AM, PFM said:

47 minutes ago, 38wadcutter said:

I just picked up the Q-P today and am in love with the subtle but very pleasing changes. The matte black finish is beautifully executed over the entire body, not just the top and bottom plates. Everything including all the control dials,lens hood and lens cover are all finished in the matte, non-glare smooth black finish. As a result, the white numbers and letters all seem to be brighter and easier to read, including the white directional diamonds in the 4-way controller on the right side of the screen. These directional diamonds were previously not a contrasting color and its a very nice subtle improvement. The white Leica script and address engraved on the top plate are perfect in their crisp retro visual appeal, much like looking at a black M-4. The shutter control ring is much easier to use, as it now has 5 deeper "teeth" on the outer dial for better and easier finger control instead of the 4 very shallow indents on the regular Q, and a smoother, more positive movement between the 3 settings, also much easier when the Q is in use with both hands at eye level. I found on the regular Q that it was necessary to use 2 fingers to positively move from "OFF" to "S" and back, also taking the camera from my eye. The Q-P has changed that in such a smooth way that you smile when you think how it is now more fun and refined to use.  Leica has put a lot of thought into making a great camera even better. Bravo!!

I've very glad for you. Personally, the on-off never bothered me. I turn it on before I go out and turn it off when I come home (sometimes I even forget to turn it off). The camera is so responsive while asleep that the on-off has never been a problem. But I know others have complained--different shooting styles, so I'm glad for you. And aesthetically, it is beautiful.

Edited by bags27

I got my Q-P this morning. I've been an original Q owner for the last year. I love the new look and REALLY love the new shutter/on/off switch! Here are a few images of mine (while I wait for the battery to charge) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, hcklr said:

I got my Q-P this morning. I've been an original Q owner for the last year. I love the new look and REALLY love the new shutter/on/off switch! Here are a few images of mine (while I wait for the battery to charge) 

Why are the numberings yellow and not red as seen in the offical pictures?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, yonadan said:

Does it leave any fingerprints or traces of it on this matte black finish?

Not as far as I can tell. I’ve only had mine a few days but this finish seems resistant to finger marks. It  is miles better than, say, black paint in this respect.

Edited by jcraf
Typo

I have had my Q since the day that it was first released and see no reason on earth to change it as the 'upgrades' are only cosmetic. Now if they offered a new model that was weather-sealed and with better high iso performance then I would maybe think about it otherwise a bit of black tape over the red dot does it for me

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, viramati said:

I have had my Q since the day that it was first released and see no reason on earth to change it as the 'upgrades' are only cosmetic. Now if they offered a new model that was weather-sealed and with better high iso performance then I would maybe think about it otherwise a bit of black tape over the red dot does it for me

That's what I decided for myself. The QP looks beautiful and I'm sure it is, but instead of trading my plain old Q for it I decided to go take more pictures. 

The revamped power switch looks like a nice improvement though. 

On 11/17/2018 at 4:50 PM, andrewteee said:

That's what I decided for myself. The QP looks beautiful and I'm sure it is, but instead of trading my plain old Q for it I decided to go take more pictures. 

The revamped power switch looks like a nice improvement though. 

I purchased mine because I was 'between Qs', and had sold my M10.  I love the look and the finish of the Q-P.  But I agree that if I'd still had my original black Q I wouldn't have changed it for the Q-P.

As for the new switch/shutter release, despite Leica using this as another marketing point for the Q-P,  and having used the camera for a week now, in my opinion it feels little different to the original Q set up.  Insignifant in fact; in this month's Leica Fotografie it's even admitted that 'Obviously, we are talking about about extremely subtle differences....'.

So really it's all about the finish for me. The extra battery takes a little bit of the sting out of the price hike, as does a years free subsription to LHSA digital.  I haven't even taken the brown leather strap out of the box, preferring a third party wrist strap.

But like all Qs, it's a very enjoyable camera, and takes wonderful photographs.  And that, surely, is what it's all about.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The more I look at the Q-P the more I love my original black Q.

It really amuses me that people sell their old Q and splash an extra £1500 (assuming they sold the old Q for £2.5k) just for a "splash of new paint on the same old gadget".

The other thing that amuses me is the fact that Leica claims the new version to be stealth. How is that possible? they have taken a small red dot off and slapped a load of writting in large letter of the top. 😂😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, likealot said:

The other thing that amuses me is the fact that Leica claims the new version to be stealth. How is that possible? they have taken a small red dot off and slapped a load of writting in large letter of the top. 😂😂

I'm inclined to agree. Despite being a Q-P owner, I ascribe this to marketing b*llocks.  Presumably claims of 'stealth' are related to your ability to be invisible to your street subjects which are, I'd suggest, frequent Q targets. Whether you put a normal Q, silver Q, khaki Q or Q-P to your eye, it's fairly obvious that you are using a camera, and yes, you're taking a photograph. 

Yep, thinks the subject, that's a camera in front of your face and not a pineapple or a newspaper.  The presence or absence of the Red Dot, or any form of script, is irrelevant in my view.  Study and honing of street photography technique is more important.

I didn't buy my Q-P because of these spurious stealth claims. I just like how it looks and feels.

Edited by jcraf
  • Like 3

Hi guys I am about to pick up my Q today but can’t seem to justify paying another AUD800 for stealth and a new on/off button unless someone can convince me that the Q shutter release button will make a $800 difference? I am buying it with the full leather case to keep it secure as I bushwalk etc. This bag covers the L emblem anyway.

Before I pull the plug today, would any of you encourage me to purchase the QP instead?

Appreciate your thoughts

Cheers

Sel

PS Also keen to receive a recommendation on the card. Leica suggest The 32gb 95MB/s Extreme PRO. Would this be an appropriate recommendation or should I go for a more efficient card?

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, hcklr said:

Very nice camera --- where's the marshall?

• Like 1

I think Herr Barnack is the engineer who deserves the most credit. It’s amazing Leica still retains the “family” appearance

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 2