Best half case for the M10

jimleicam3

On 1/19/2019 at 6:36 AM, Alex U. said:

But my advice is: Write him a mail

We communicated via a couple of emails, Luigi was very responsive.  I described what I needed and he did give me quite a reasonable quote but I decided to purchase it right now. 

The Australian dollar is horrible at the moment.  I am basically having to double the Euro figure to convert to AUD.  Luigi was gracious about it. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2019 at 1:08 PM, Lax Jought said:

Hi Luigi, thanks for your response.  Love your half cases, they're beautiful. 

I have looked at your website a number of times previously but it's pretty hard to navigate.  I've just gone back to your website again right now and I cannot see the half cases you mentioned for the M10:
http://www.luigicases.com/a000-CasesLeicaM10.htm

I was looking for something like the third photo you posted but for the M10, where a separate strap attaches directly to the half case itself.  I use the Artisan & Artist easy slider camera strap.  

Hi Lax, many visitors of my web site are quite complaining for the design of it... If I would make ALL versions possible to ALL my cases models, it would be really impossible to navigate it. I can MAKE the case for M10 as you'll want it, just ask ! Ciao, Luigi 

• 11 months later...

@onasj i am really happy with mine i just ordered one to try :) I had Angelo Pelle for my M240 but wasn't happy as it was super bulky. 

The Oberwerth Half Case is quite rugged as they use super thin metal below the leather. I chose the standard leather in brown and it fits perfectly. Happy to take a couple pictures for the group. 

Best,
Martin

• Thanks 1

Can anyone with the original Leica Protector speak about how it feels to look through the viewfinder with the additional thickness?

What I mean is: With the flap to protect the back there are now two layers of thick leather and it looks like the case sticks out further than the viewfinder eyecup. I have big glasses and can barely see the 28mm lines, but still love my 28 Elmarit... if the case and flap would prevent me and my glasses from getting close to the viewfinder it would be bad...

I can’t try this, here in Japan they won’t take anything out of the box and let you touch it.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Marckyokay:

I can’t try this, here in Japan they won’t take anything out of the box and let you touch it.

I don't know about the Leica Protector, but at Yodobashi in Akihabara you can check with your camera the Artisan & Artist halfcases they keep on stock, just next to the Leica booth.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marckyokay said:

Can anyone with the original Leica Protector speak about how it feels to look through the viewfinder with the additional thickness?

What I mean is: With the flap to protect the back there are now two layers of thick leather and it looks like the case sticks out further than the viewfinder eyecup. I have big glasses and can barely see the 28mm lines, but still love my 28 Elmarit... if the case and flap would prevent me and my glasses from getting close to the viewfinder it would be bad...

I have the Leica Protector half case for both my M10-P and the M10-M and it's perfect, the best of many that I have tried.......I only wish that they made one for the M10-D instead of me having to go with a third party case for that camera. You can use the Leica Protector case with or without the back flap installed and that's a very useful choice to have, plus I have never found that the back flap has got in the way of viewing through the OVF.......but then I don't wear glasses with the M10's OVF, I just use the relevant eyepiece diopter and that does the trick nicely.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb petermullett:

I only wish that they made one for the M10-D instead of me having to go with a third party case for that camera.

I simply decided for a M10 half case by Artisan&Artist, its fits quite well on the front side of the M10-D (not perfectly with the frame lever) and on the rear side the space, originally designed for the display, offers ample space for the thumbs to handle the switch and the EV correction. Not perfect, but a good compromise.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AndreasG
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, petermullett said:

I have the Leica Protector half case for both my M10-P and the M10-M and it's perfect, the best of many that I have tried.......I only wish that they made one for the M10-D instead of me having to go with a third party case for that camera. You can use the Leica Protector case with or without the back flap installed and that's a very useful choice to have, plus I have never found that the back flap has got in the way of viewing through the OVF.......but then I don't wear glasses with the M10's OVF, I just use the relevant eyepiece diopter and that does the trick nicely.

Well that would be exactly what I’m wondering... the diopter makes the OVF stick out more which would help with a thick case... without the diopter, with the flap closed (don’t want it hanging around like a phone case but still have it since the camera rubs against me while hiking quite a bit) and with glasses... 

4 hours ago, AndreasG said:

I simply decided for a M10 half case by Artisan&Artist, its fits quite well on the front side of the M10-D (not perfectly with the frame lever) and on the rear side the space, originally designed for the display, offers ample space for the thumbs to handle the switch and the EV correction. Not perfect, but a good compromise.

Thanks for the advice! I can get a good deal on the Leica case but can’t try it ... I also didn’t know Yodobashi allowed you to try the A&A accessories ... last time I checked in Shinjuku and asked if I can try if a filter fits with my Voigtlander hood (very tight tolerances) they refused, before that I also couldn’t try other things but forgot what it was about. They only give you samples that won’t be sold. I’m in Kanagawa and it’s not always possible to go to Ginza to the very good Leica Story and try things :P

11 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks Andreas, I actually ordered Luigi M10-D case and will be picking it up when I am in the US next week. His "headache" of a website almost turned me off buying from him but he's got a good reputation for the cases he produces and at least a M10-D specific case does offer more protection that one designed for a regular M10/M10-P. I'll see how it works out in a few days I guess......