Half case, full case or no case?

kivis

On 11/12/2022 at 7:27 AM, kivis said:

Seems to me that half cases make more sense for Digital M's then Film M's.

One of the beautiful things about M cameras is how small they are relative to what they give us.

I resist any temptation to make them larger than they need to be, and have never seen any genuine utility in a case, for how I have ever used my cameras, film or digital.

Leica even sacrifices IBIS because it would make the body thicker, so they clearly see compactness as a valuable virtue. But there's no shortage of choice if cases appeal to you and you're indifferent to added bulk.

(And they seem to be popular among fetishists who find leather more exciting than neoprene!)

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

When I carry a camera bag out shooting (about 1/2 the time), it's the Domke 5XB.   I figured out many years ago that if I need a camera bag larger than a Domke FX5B, I was carrying too much gear (that I didn't use)! I just started shooting some Medium Format and the Domke FX5A, which is essentially a slightly deeper FX5B, works great for a Bronica SQ or Hasselblad 500 series.  

The 5B will carry a Leica M with lens mounted and two other lenses though I seldom go out with more than one additional lens.  The 5A will carry the camera and one additional lens - two if they are stacked with a pad between them.

No case, half or otherwise, for me.  Like many I shoot Leica for the size and what they are right out of the box. Any add on, other than the occasional Visoflex 2, makes it unnecessarily larger than I want.  That's why the CL (digital) is the almost-ideal camera.  Leica looks and performance with a perfect size for running around all day.  Couple that with a larger M for full-frame or a D-Lux 7 for ultimate discreet shooting and you have a trifecta. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve used the ADM Aventino on my M10-R and love it, but recently shifted to using the M land grip. It does add weight but the grip provides me with a score handhold. The camera is beautiful and the half case obscures its beauty. YMMV.

I’ve tried thumb grips by Match Technical and Leica, but my hand doesn’t feel right when I’ve used them. 

• 3 weeks later...

At least the new 35/1.4 FLEII comes with a leather case as in past lenses. Perhaps there is less beef consumption so less leather to go around.

I just leave mine open camera obviously with no case, however I am looking for a smallish shoulder bag 5 inches deep to carry 2 M11 with Viso attached and with lenses facing downward.

Edited by algrove

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've used camera cases & 1/2 cases on many bodies over the years, and still have some for cameras I no longer have. I used to think they needed the extra protection, and with my M9 I imagined the case dampened the sound of the shutter.

When I finally went to the M10 after the M9 sensor corroded, I decided to try not using a case for a while. I added a grip and Thumbs Up, and came to realize I've always been careful with my cameras. When I added the Q2, same- no case, just a grip and Thumbs Up. It has been a couple years and so far all is well. I usually wear the camera, and when/if additional body or lens are needed, they ride along in a small B-Laika bag.

One practical hint I learned years ago is to never store your cameras long term in a leather case as the tannins can lead to corrosion of the metal.

I still have my Luigi that fits the M6 with Abrahamson Rapidwinder, another for the M9, and a full case unused Leica case for the M4.

I don't use any style of case when I'm out shooting with the occasional exception of what amounts to 'A Half-Case with a Strap' for my Leica 1 as it doesn't have strap lugs but, even then, only if it's going to be a 'recreational day where snaps might be grabbed' as opposed to, primarily, a shooting day. If it's going to be the latter then I'll use a wrist strap.

Philip.

• 2 weeks later...

The phrase never ready case was enough to kill off any thoughts I might have had of getting a case. I suppose it may protect the camera but I hear that you shouldn't store the camera in some of the leather cases as it may green the chrome.

Edited by williamj

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I use this case on my M-P 240 and love it. It's rather thin, but gives me more grip, protects the camera somewhat, does not get in the way at all. Actually makes life with the camera a little easier since it replaces the bottom plate, and has a bottom flap, allowing easy access to both battery and SD card. No more having to worry about dropping the plate or scratching it when using the camera.

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 1:49 AM, Jeff S said:

I don’t like cases… or hard to read fancy fonts.

Jeff

In the case of the OP‘s font, I find it totally illegible, and consider its use highly inconsiderate of other users. Kivis: please refrain from using this or any other fancy font if you want everyone to be able to read what you write.  Many thanks!

David

2 hours ago, David Wien said:

In the case of the OP‘s font, I find it totally illegible, and consider its use highly inconsiderate of other users. Kivis: please refrain from using this or any other fancy font if you want everyone to be able to read what you write.  Many thanks!

David

That was close to 2 years ago.  He changed fonts 5 days later in his next post.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Lucky me! For literally decades I refused to put any kind of case for my cameras, I found the so called „ever-ready“ cases never ready and deemed half cases a luxury gadget until yesterday. I recently acquired a used Q2 Oberwerth half case for little money and found it not distracting at all which triggered me to get an Oberwerth half case, too. Brand new and crazy expensive. Yesterday I dropped my M11 - the half case was bent, but the camera body showed no dings or dents and continues to work flawlessly. So my personal opinion - a half-case does not hurt and might help to preserve your camera.

• 1 month later...

I always use a have case and have for decades. Like I always use a strap. I provides a better grip and protects the camera against knocks when carrying over the shoulder and the bottom of it from scuffing when put down. I try to keep my stuff looking good. Likewise I've never felt the need for thumb things or grips....