Availability?

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can relate. I was told it would be coming soon in February by BH Photo and its now May. I imagine a lot of people are canceling there M10 orders as a result of the wait. It could be years before they start showing up at big stores. Probably by the M11 they'll finally get a small shipment in.

Possibly Leica grossly underestimated demand. If some of you who already have received your M10's would do us a favor and politely bad mouth the horrific performance of the camera, then the rest of us might have a lesser wait.

Whatever the case, these are First World Problems. 

I need to stop reading this forum and take lots of images with my 240.

With the new production facility you would think the backlog would be shorter.

I guess demand is way up!

I don't have an m240 but my guess is this is what's causing some of the backlog. The m240 and m10 are so similar except in size and video I think it's nuts to upgrade like so many people are. If I had the m240 I wouldn't upgrade. I would wait for the Monochrom 2 or even the m11. As long your shooting in raw, and post processing, there is going to be very little difference between m240 files and m10 files. The people who have to have the newest edition and collectors make it difficult to get an m10.

I don't have an m240 but my guess is this is what's causing some of the backlog. The m240 and m10 are so similar except in size and video I think it's nuts to upgrade like so many people are. If I had the m240 I wouldn't upgrade. I would wait for the Monochrom 2 or even the m11. As long your shooting in raw, and post processing, there is going to be very little difference between m240 files and m10 files. The people who have to have the newest edition and collectors make it difficult to get an m10.

It's not all about IQ. I traded my M240 primarily because, as an eyeglass wearer, the M10 VF/RF allows me to see and focus better on the subject.... larger opening, better eye relief and higher magnification. The rest is a bonus.... better weather sealing, improved ergonomics, better color out-of-camera, etc.

I skipped the M8 for the M8.2, passed on all M9 based versions and the 2 Monochroms, so it's not about the latest and greatest. The M10 simply is the best digital M for my needs.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

It's not all about IQ. I traded my M240 primarily because, as an eyeglass wearer, the M10 VF/RF allows me to see and focus better on the subject.... larger opening, better eye relief and higher magnification. The rest is a bonus.... better weather sealing, improved ergonomics, better color out-of-camera, etc.

I skipped the M8 for the M8.2, passed on all M9 based versions and the 2 Monochroms, so it's not about the latest and greatest. The M10 simply is the best digital M for my needs.

Jeff

You said it's not about the latest and greatest after saying everything about the M10 was better than the previous version, lol. Better, newer, same thing. Im sure the M11 will be better than the M10 and fit your needs too. Glad you like the M10 though.

You said it's not about the latest and greatest after saying everything about the M10 was better than the previous version, lol. Better, newer, same thing. Im sure the M11 will be better than the M10 and fit your needs too. Glad you like the M10 though.

No I didn't... I said it was the best FOR MY NEEDS, which I explained primarily related to aging eyes. And after skipping most other models that did not address MY needs or style.

I preferred the M8.2 to the M9 and wrote about the reasons for me. And I prefer color-based Ms to the Monochroms for my print workflow. The M10 isn't better in every way...poorer battery life, etc... but the VF is my first priority.

Others will clearly have different needs and wants, There is no 'best' camera for all.

Surely you can comprehend the difference.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No I didn't... I said it was the best FOR MY NEEDS, which I explained primarily related to aging eyes. And after skipping most other models that did not address MY needs or style.

I preferred the M8.2 to the M9 and wrote about the reasons for me. And I prefer color-based Ms to the Monochroms for my print workflow. The M10 isn't better in every way...poorer battery life, etc... but the VF is my first priority.

Others will clearly have different needs and wants, There is no 'best' camera for all.

Surely you can comprehend the difference.

Jeff

Right, I agree there is no best camera for all. But you got an m240 then upgraded to the M10, which means at some point you thought the m240 was good enough. I don't mind people upgrading my point was I think its harder to get an M10 because so many feel the need to upgrade to the newest thing. Maybe you're one of the few who don't upgrade every time but I'm guessing there are a lot of Leica

users who obsessively upgrade which makes it harder to find new M's.

Right, I agree there is no best camera for all. But you got an m240 then upgraded to the M10, which means at some point you thought the m240 was good enough. I don't mind people upgrading my point was I think its harder to get an M10 because so many feel the need to upgrade to the newest thing. Maybe you're one of the few who don't upgrade every time but I'm guessing there are a lot of Leica

users who obsessively upgrade which makes it harder to find new M's.

I still have my M8.2... it serves as backup and is particularly good for my b/w work. I traded my M240 to the same dealer who sold me the M10. Yes the M240 was good enough IQ-wise, but the M10 viewing experience was worth the additional cost for me. How I see and focus on the subject is my paramount criterion for camera choice.... if that doesn't suit, the rest doesn't matter, It's why I've been using Ms for over 30 years.

There are many here who care about pictures and use cameras as tools for that purpose. And many others who are surely driven by GAS. My goal is making prints... the camera is but one tool that contributes to that end. Lenses even more. And PP even more than that. Thankfully we're all different.

As far as difficulty finding M10s, be glad that there's demand. It wasn't long ago that Leica almost bit the dust. And anyone in a hurry should be aggressively calling small dealers that have little or no wait. That's what I did.... and found 2 in a couple of days, the second willing to trade my M240. Be resourceful.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Im glad everyone on this thread now has an m10 but me. Putting in my order for the M11 three years in advance so it arrives in the year its released.

Only if you're one of those who needs every new model. :)

And even then, if you choose the wrong dealer, chances are those willing to make a few phone calls to small dealers will beat you to it.

Jeff

• Like 2

Only if you're one of those who needs every new model. :)

And even then, if you choose the wrong dealer, chances are those willing to make a few phone calls to small dealers will beat you to it.

Jeff

I don't own any M's so not sure what that comment means. I have my name on several lists, both local and big, for the M10. I have charges on several cards. There is only so much one person can do. Ive done all I can.

I don't own any M's so not sure what that comment means. I have my name on several lists, both local and big, for the M10. I have charges on several cards. There is only so much one person can do. Ive done all I can.

You complained about folks lining up for every iteration, then discussed getting on an M11 list three yesrs in sdvance of getting your M10. The smiley face was for a reason.

How did I find 2 M10s in less time than you've been arguing with me? And I didn't put down s deposit anywhere, nor have I ever. Read my posts... clearly you haven't pursued the right strategy.

Jeff

You complained about folks lining up for every iteration, then discussed getting on an M11 list three yesrs in sdvance of getting your M10. The smiley face was for a reason.

How did I find 2 M10s in less time than you've been arguing with me? And I didn't put down s deposit anywhere, nor have I ever. Read my posts... clearly you haven't pursued the right strategy.

Jeff

Great, you're perfect and always right. I forgot there won't be an M10-P model at all between M10 and M11. I was being sarcastic about signing up for an M11. But I'm not going to post on here anymore because I'm tired of being trolled by perfect people like you. You have an M10, so why are you even on this forum? I don't get it. But done being endlessly harassed for my imperfect decisions.

Great, you're perfect and always right. I forgot there won't be an M10-P model at all between M10 and M11. I was being sarcastic about signing up for an M11. But I'm not going to post on here anymore because I'm tired of being trolled by perfect people like you. You have an M10, so why are you even on this forum? I don't get it. But done being endlessly harassed for my imperfect decisions.

Obviously you were being sarcastic... and equally obviously I was joking about it.

Stop mosning.... start calling. No perfection required.... just persistence.

Jeff