Availability?

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So in 2014 Leica said they would build a factory to keep up with demand and it seems to have done nothing. I think they just haven't released many M10's. If you go on Instagram or other social sites, there aren't a ton of Leica m10 photos pouring in. Maybe its way to create strong product demand over a long period rather than a quick rush at the beginning followed by a drip.

• Like 1

Each succeeding Leica camera design has more features and higher performance/precision than the previous version and so is harder to build than it's predecessors.

If the cameras were built by robots, like cars are, we could expect better and faster factory output. But they are built by people who have to overcome a steep new camera learning curve with each model, and we aren't inventing better people.  

• Like 1

Each succeeding Leica camera design has more features and higher performance/precision than the previous version and so is harder to build than it's predecessors.

If the cameras were built by robots, like cars are, we could expect better and faster factory output. But they are built by people who have to overcome a steep new camera learning curve with each model, and we aren't inventing better people.  

Who builds the people at Leica who build the cameras? Don't they incorporate firmware and hardware updates to the technicians on a regular basis just like they do with the cameras?

• Like 1

Not concerned about waiting at all, the minions who build the cameras are getting better every day, so we won't have to deal with the lemons coming off the line today. ;)

Edited by Foxtwo
  • Like 1

If you have an m240 or an m monochrome or even an m9 i can understamd "waiting" may be okay with you. But if your just getting into Leica with the m10 and have already bought lenses, I think it's okay to be annoyed with having to wait many months to use those lenses. When the m11 comes out, I'm sure I will be prepared to wait but i will have an m10 to use still. Just my opinion on waiting.

• Like 1

I'm afraid, this order backlog at the start of a new model can't be avoided with the way these cameras are made.

So you run the Leica company and are launching a new model. You anticipate a strong demand in the start phase. But even, if you can find and hire enough Feinwerktechniker or precision mechanics, train them in time to build your new model, you need a plan for the time, when the demand goes back to normal. In Germany, it is not easy to fire them, unless your company is in financial trouble. It would be also a waste, because they become more skilled the longer they stay. If there is a lot of fluctuation, the workforce will never reach a higher level of skilfulness.

Stefan

On the other hand....what do you/we want ? Some quickly trained and hired temp staff who probably don't identify with the product and don't care about the quality of their work ? That would increase the number of faulty cameras and everyone would scream what happened to the name "Leica" with the high quality standards ?

Really don't know whether I should post this or not...

Walked into a store today to order an M10 expecting to wait several months. Walked out with an M10.

Eek - first M (currently have a Q). If I could afford it, I should be buying flowers for the wife on the way home. May be on the couch tonight.

• Like 2

A small country at the bottom of the world! Not saying any more...

To be fair, it was being held for someone who was dicking the store around - they had promised payment a week ago and then had disappeared.

I think I would have been next in line anyway (so no queue jumping).

Feedback was that supply seems to be improving (though we are talking very small numbers down here).

I think it's fine to pay attention to quality and not rush things but Leica should know by now they will sell a certain amount of cameras with every new model. It just seems like they were unprepared for the demand. Maybe they thought m240 users wouldn't upgrade right away and I think that might be part of the issue. The other part seems to be only supplying small shops with M10's and no big vendors which has made it harder to get for a lot of people who don't live near a camera store.

A small country at the bottom of the world! Not saying any more...

To be fair, it was being held for someone who was dicking the store around - they had promised payment a week ago and then had disappeared.

I think I would have been next in line anyway (so no queue jumping).

Feedback was that supply seems to be improving (though we are talking very small numbers down here).

Lucky you. I waited 3 months in the same country,and just got mine 1 week before you.