The Leica M-D thread - merged.

jcraf

smell - the scent of a fresh roll of film as it comes out of its package inviting you to load it into the chamber;

taste - the coffee you savor as you anticipate and plan your next shots, or the wine you sip as your review your photographs.

this is hilarious

a few glasses of wine to drown your sorry in the photographic output for the day :D

For years (since the M8 days) I have wished for a direction of digital M with just that - B&W sensor, no rear LCD, manual shutter cocking, digital Leicavit with added motor capabilities, PC-sync and extra battery capacity, brass and black paint and the size as close to a film M as possible, more affordable price.

We got a few steps into the right direction since then (the monstrosity, the M10 is aside) - lets wait another 5-10 years and we might actually get this perfect Leica M.

We have seen a few years of market preparation now - imagine the very same reactions of unimaginative people to the first Leica MM - it so very clearly reflects what has happened when Leica introduced the M60 and now being confirmed that Leica is more serious about this idea with the M-D.

Dull people will be silenced as more and more people "get it" or get bored outcrying as of a concept not within their grasp.

The next step after the M-D in a few years will come I am sure.

One can still buy fine mechanical watches, fountain pens, paper notebooks and shoes with shoestring - even car manufacturers are still offering select cars with manual transmissions. There will always be a market for simple and finely made tools/ objects / luxury items, call it what you will - main focus of these products being superior quality and a simplicity to their operation.

Maybe we see Leica offering at some point even a fixed lens, screen less medium format digital travel folder camera with B&W sensor - a digital Makina 67 if you will?

Considering how upset the M-D has made some people, a digital camera with a manual shutter recock would probably lead to pure hysteria.

Can't say I haven't asked myself this question, though: would a hypothetical M body with a plug and play, swappable sensor "back" benefit from a manual shutter recock or would it just be pretentious?

Edited by Joshua Lowe
  • Like 1

Be careful what you wish for. The M with manual shutter recock is in the works as we speak. It will be released as a limited edition though. The purpose will be to discourage Leica shooters from spray and pray and encourage more deliberate Zen shooting and concentrating on the "moment".

• Like 2

I never tried it myself as I didn't see any usefulness in it for myself, but if I am not mistaken one can install a wifi card inside the M-D and has the possibility of image replay on a wifi capable gadget.

I could imagine this being useful when calibrating the rangefinder and speeding things up by tethering directly to a watched folder in Lightroom.

… and unfortunately making a cable connect and developing an app is indeed hugely expensive. Imagine the outcry when Leica would have done that and in effect had priced the M-D even higher than it is already.

If the wi-fi card option is available for M-D then that is a good option to have.

I'm not sure what kind of app you are thinking but I am thinking a simple app which just serves to link the external screen to the camera and includes some very basic commands. As for making a cable that is even cheaper.

The app and cable will have their own price so there would be no need to increase the price of the M-D.

With a phone in my hand I am as typical as anyone else whose life is governed by an iPhone  :p !

I simply find making really good pictures diffcult enough-

without walking around Hong Kong with an iphone in one hand and the camera in the other, ducking into sidestreets to be able to turn on the App or connect the cable without getting bumped into, only to see if everything is OK on such a useful portable screen..

Not to mention distracting emails, notifications, calls or whatever.

Mobile is the first thing left behind when I photograph.

I am one of those who can't go out without my iPhone either :p

You misunderstood me. I am talking about having the opportunity to link the camera to a smartphone or external screen not so that the person can hold the camera on one hand and the iPhone on the other simutaneously in order to make a picture. That would be impossible and unnecessary. Instead i am saying that the screen conectvity would be useful for the person to check the ocassional picture or pictures taken there and then on the spot if you feel unsure about the results. If I go abroad with an M-D I would have to wait until I come back to see the results. With an external screen connectivity that would not be the case.

You may be different but a lot of people dont go out there just to photograph. Instead they take the camera with them so they can capture the ocassional scene they may like whilst out and about.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the wi-fi card option is available for M-D then that is a good option to have.

I'm not sure what kind of app you are thinking but I am thinking a simple app which just serves to link the external screen to the camera and includes some very basic commands. As for making a cable that is even cheaper.

The app and cable will have their own price so there would be no need to increase the price of the M-D.

I am one of those who can't go out without my iPhone either :p

You misunderstood me. I am talking about having the opportunity to link the camera to a smartphone or external screen not so that the person can hold the camera on one hand and the iPhone on the other simutaneously in order to make a picture. That would be impossible and unnecessary. Instead i am saying that the screen conectvity would be useful for the person to check the ocassional picture or pictures taken there and then on the spot if you feel unsure about the results. If I go abroad with an M-D I would have to wait until I come back to see the results. With an external screen connectivity that would not be the case.

If the M-D is your only camera, then I understand you - even though with film it is always like this anyway.  :ph34r:

Why not then just import the pictures to your iPhone from the SD ?

You may be different but a lot of people dont go out there just to photograph. Instead they take the camera with them so they can capture the ocassional scene they may like whilst out and about.

For that, I would prefer to use the Q  :D

Edited by sumolux
  • Like 1

I have tried various grips and discarded. They all make the M feel bulky, heavy, and awkward to me; I buy an M because it is svelte and smallish. If I just wanted a grip, I'd take the SL, not the M-P. I just wish that the M-P had fewer buttons and delicate surfaces that I have to avoid when handling it. 

For me the M shape is iconic, classic, beautiful, maybe even sexy,  but never svelte.  AFAIC, its kind of a porker and pretty darn clunky when naked. Theres a reason why nearly every other serious camera produced today has some form of grip, but if losing the slick glass and buttons gets you were you want to go, that fine too. 

The M is the only camera I have used which necessitates a half case. I know many of you like it naked, but I find it too skinny and bony for my taste :)

I guess to each his own......I used the M with a 1/2 case for over a year. It was too chunky for me .

I'm so much happier without the 1/2 case. It feels far more comfortable in my hands.

I'm going naked from now on 

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1

For me the M shape is iconic, classic, beautiful, maybe even sexy,  but never svelte.  AFAIC, its kind of a porker and pretty darn clunky when naked. Theres a reason why nearly every other serious camera produced today has some form of grip, but if losing the slick glass and buttons gets you were you want to go, that fine too. 

LOL! A Hasselblad is a porker, an industrial lumpkin. Doesn't matter though. Accessory grips get in my way. If I want a bigger camera, I just buy one.  :rolleyes:

Edited by ramarren

LOL! A Hasselblad is a porker, an industrial lumpkin. Doesn't matter though. Accessory grips get in my way. If I want a bigger camera, I just buy one.  :rolleyes:

I shoot MF, hand held, right along side my Leica and APS-C as well.  Naked, of the three, the Leica is the most likely it hit the floor.  Its the only camera I own that has a strap on it.  Sorry, I love the M for its soul, not for its body or button count.  Have fun with the new toy.  

Maybe I misread, but I found the Puts blog reasonable. As far as camera bodies are concerned, Leica is not only good at innovation that combines/adds new features, as is the case with the SL. Leica is also very good at innovation where less is more. The latter makes the company, and its different M series, unique and desirable for those who like that.  The MD is a case of successfully streamlining an already wonderfully simple camera. I think this is smart because it creates a new niche, just like with the Monochrome. 

In my mind, what Leica needs to do with the M is improve its electronics: buffer, evf, noise, start-up, heat noise vs exposure times, freezing issues, wifi connectivity, etc.  There is no contradiction between a simple body and digitally sophisticated innards. Once they make these incremental improvements, the M cameras, whichever you chose, will be close to perfect.

• Like 4