The Leica M-D thread - merged.

jcraf

I also developed the nervous habit of regularly "waking the meter up" by tapping the shutter release from time to time - a habit only necessary with Leica digital cameras I am afraid (no other digital I ever used is as sluggish once it went into deep sleep).

I do this with every camera. Sometimes even with meterless film cameras. It's a habit I learned before I even got my Leica.

In any case, it would be easy to implement any of these simple switchable features on a screenless camera, but generally these things need to be thought out during the design phase.

I had a play with an MD in Richard Caplan, London, yesterday. Contrary to my initial feelings about the camera (ie a bit gimmicky), I actually really liked it. Once you have it in your hands, the concept comes together. Very interesting. Not worth selling/swapping my M240, but if I was in the market for a new M I think I'd be looking at the MD not the M240.

• Like 4

I must admit, after shooting a few rolls with my mate's Leica MP, I would drop my M 240 for an M-D with a manual shutter winder in a heartbeat. There's something to be said about the intention imbued in "winding the shutter" with your thumb. Also the discipline that comes with having no playback in film is really refreshing. You don't even consider chimping. You just get on with finding the next photo to take. As for the actual M-D, I could see myself switching down the track for sure, for that exact reason.

Edited by nickjbedford
  • Like 2

One thing they could have done with the M-D that would have made it the perfect body for me - if they had included the EVF port from the M240. No LCD but being able to use an EVF for live view only when I wanted it would have been the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must admit, after shooting a few rolls with my mate's Leica MP, I would drop my M 240 for an M-D with a manual shutter winder in a heartbeat. There's something to be said about the intention imbued in "winding the shutter" with your thumb. Also the discipline that comes with having no playback in film is really refreshing. You don't even consider chimping. You just get on with finding the next photo to take. As for the actual M-D, I could see myself switching down the track for sure, for that exact reason.

So what is wrong with buying an M-A?

Got mine yesterday.

I just like it.

Battery lasts long enough if I turn the switch off during coffee break.

ISO dial is stiff enough to make me refrain changing it all the time which is good.

Exposure and composition were as intended so I said to my self, "why had I been looking at LCD so often ?"

(and the answer is, that was because there had been a LCD")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I used to think that but now I don't think anything substitutes for a film camera

I think trying to make a digital like the film experience will be an ultimately unsatisfying journey

I do think the M-D is a lovely camera and brings a certain simplicity and rigour to the process. Although I am in a minority I do think not having a screen does replicate one piece of the film experience, essentially the pace and "get on with it - the photos done". However the winding of the film, the waiting for the results and the inevitable grainy particular result is quite unique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A theoretical study does not a sensor make... There are so many ideas floating around, first the theoreticians, then the engineers..

This might be a nice idea, but it may well take a long time to transform it into a practical sensor. Just imagine writing an algorithm to read out and demosaic a random pixel pattern. Not to mention constructing a bayer-type filter that matches the sensor.

• Like 2

Well, I finally had a look at an M-D on Saturday - a nice looking camera and felt fine, but.....

Having looked and thought, it still seems to me to be hamstrung - like a modern car with a crashbox. So its not for me. I understand its appeal but will leave it for others to use.

FWIW at the same even most of the major players were showing gear. Leica was the most innovative by far - and I had a friend (Nikon user) with me who agreed. The Monochrome and M-D illustrated this perfectly to say nothing of the SL.

Honestly the biggest problem I have with just shooting film is that in Australia it costs an arm and a leg and I prefer having 100% quality digital images of the photos I make. To get a 24mp image matching my M 240 would cost me a fortune due to the developing and high quality drum scanning.

If they made a sensor using a Filling Space with Random Fractal Non-Overlapping Simple Shapes tiling then noise would be more grain-like. Leica are doing their best to give digital that olde worlde film experience; why can't sensor makers pull their weight and finish the job?

For now the practical solution is to add grain in PP for olde worlde film experience.

I ran into a photographer who goes by the name nikk_la on Instagram.  He shoots a lot of Leica gear and he had an M-D with him.  He was using it with a 21mm lens to shoot low/wide angle captures of skateboarders.  I didn't talk to him but for a moment but the camera looked pretty nice in person.  I was hoping to see some of his results online but I haven't seen any posted as of yet.

Edited by Joshua Lowe

I ran into a photographer who goes by the name nikk_la on Instagram.  He shoots a lot of Leica gear and he had an M-D with him.  He was using it with a 21mm lens to shoot low/wide angle captures of skateboarders.  I didn't talk to him but for a moment but the camera looked pretty nice in person.  I was hoping to see some of his results online but I haven't seen any posted as of yet.

Did you really miss this thing: http://blog.leica-camera.com/2016/04/28/one-city-three-photographers-and-the-leica-m-d/