Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mushrooms sleeping.

SL with 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

wow, who says the SL+24-90 is heavy when you got such great pics during an alp bike trip! (or did you have a car following you carrying your camera!)

Regards,

Bob

rubaga....I'm interested in how you're carrying the camera too......i use a topeck handlebar bag but with smaller m lenses

I apologise it took so long to reply.

I carry equipment on a bike. Either Harley Touring bike in the rear box. Depending on the size of the rear storage I either take 2xSL plus 24-90, 90-280 and Noctilux or 1 body and same lenses. Because I travel without passenger I carry some of my personal stuff on the rear seat. I also carry their Gitzo tripod and this year I took a small drone (DJI Maverick). Did not really used either though...

I carry equipment in the box inside a photo bag. Either ThinkTank Retrospective 30 (2 body setup) or Peak Design (1 body setup). Peak Design is nice as it is relatively thin bag vs Thinktank.

This is the bike with the ThinkTank bag inside. From Norway trip last year.

e5eb51a731c13a71a05143b8c72d7b53.jpg

This is the bike from trip this year. Inside is Peak Design bag.

e35f6f8f4a2abb9169f844e14f310127.jpg

Sorry to highjack a thread a bit...

Edited by rubaga
  • Like 4

I was.  And I clearly remember Brick Lane before it was 'developed' and became trendy, same as Spitalfields, Camden, Brixton, the Brighton Lanes etc where you can buy any sort of tat with the emphasis on 'crafts' and cottage industry in place of greasy spoons, dodgy restaurants, newsagents, the local, the offie, charity shops etc.  These areas have inevitably moved on but I still talk to traders who I've known in Brick Lane for 25+ years and they're still there probably because they're mostly from pre-war family businesses.  The clientele has changed and gone up-market (perhaps thanks to Zadie Smith, perhaps not) but the marketeers and stallholders love it because the new clientele brings plenty of disposal cash, a less discerning eye, and less inclination to haggle prices down.

As a casual documenter of social change through the lens of a camera I don't consider the current Brick Lane et al as clichéd but a new opportunity to study people, interactions, and situations as they happen today.  I wonder whether perhaps you're in some way mourning the passing of a genre/lifestyle/culture/whatever and there's nothing wrong in that; I do so myself and it's eminently stronger after I've watched a film from the 1960's or before.  But life moves on.  I wasn't criticising your claim of cliché, just trying to understand your point of view.  What's authentic is what's there now whether we like it or not.  What was authentic 18 years ago was authentic 18 years ago.

Brick Lane clichéd?  Perhaps.  Or perhaps it's just become like so many other areas that have fallen to the inexorable march of what they call progress but when it boils down there's naked greed driving it.  Some things I mourn and other things I'm glad are gone now.  I'm just glad that I'm free to point my camera at people, things, and situations that please me.

Anyway, after our brief interlude perhaps it's time for some more pictures.

Pete.

I love this. I love what you've written and shared, thank you. But I think there was a small but crucial misunderstanding in what I said and given what you've just written, it really needs correcting (this is my error not yours).

I don't think Brick Lane is a cliché. I think 'johnny come lately' photographers (such as myself) flocking there to try and be cool and capture something 'gritty' is a cliché, especially if we rock up with our expensive kit and start papping away at people whose lives we have absolutely no appreciation for or empathy with.

Like you, my entire interest is in photographing people and social interactions and since these exist everywhere, they are always real, never a cliché. Human interactions cannot be clichés (well perhaps if they are being deeply contrived in pursuit of something fashionable they can be but that's a different issue). But you have to be careful; it's very easy to do this insensitively and without compassion. It's not that it's impossible to be authentic, sincere and honest when photographing people from vastly different backgrounds and social experiences (especially when those social experiences include deep disenfranchisement and disadvantage), but it is much more difficult and you need to tread really carefully.

There was a guy who showed a photograph of a homeless man in a very distressed state in the far east somewhere recently, He'd posted the image on a photography site along with a review of his new Hasselblad X1D and commented how he loved the way he'd caught the homeless guy just as he looked into his ($13,000) camera. He coped a lot of flack for that and rightly so - a rich tourist snapping homeless people and then focusing on how the camera performed and not the plight of the individual is a sickening way to spend your time.

Edited by geetee1972
  • Like 2

The mysterious gate - in color and b&w, SL and 24/90.

• Like 4

I don't think Brick Lane is a cliché. I think 'johnny come lately' photographers (such as myself) flocking there to try and be cool and capture something 'gritty' is a cliché, especially if we rock up with our expensive kit and start papping away at people whose lives we have absolutely no appreciation for or empathy with.

Fascinating discussion, as this sort of change in an urban environment is happening all over the world.  Areas left behind as a country moves into the modern economy (has anyone seen Kurosawa's version of Gorky's story The Lower Depths?) become home to immigrants and refugees and then gentrify suddenly as a younger generation with more money than space moves in.  Each stage has stories to tell, but only if you get to know the people, or perhaps if, like Atget, you know the place so well that you can delineate what is new as you capture the cadence of the older world.

There's an area in Jerusalem that I used to visit as a source of traditional food (chips, humus, and grilled meat in pitas) and a grimy open-air market.  Was back there a few days ago, and it is now overrun with twenty-somethings and the old restaurants have either become chains or trendy/fancy. An old school has been turned into a startup accelerator. But the market is still there, and the area in daylight is as grimy as ever.  I think I will try to get to know it a little better.

• Like 4

Light I

• Like 7

light II

Edited by BlackDoc
  • Like 4

Managed a day out to the delightful town of St Ives in Cambridgeshire to try out the SL/Tri-Elmar combination. The weight is excellent perfect for me and the IQ from the combi is far good enough for me also.

• Like 11

A modern building - looking like a blue monolith. SL and 24/90.

• Like 3

The view over a valley in Upper Austria. SL and 24/90.

• Like 6