Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Misty Lake District Morning .....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL, Vario Elmar-T 18-56

• Like 5

Ribadeo ..... SL + 24-90

thanks for looking  :D

• Like 14

Ermita de La Regalina, before sunrise, SL+24-90

Thanks for looking  :unsure:

• Like 18

Fun at lunch. 

Noctilux.

• Like 7

Well, the whole set is wonderful.  What shutter speed did you use if may ask?

- Vikas

apart from the daytime shots ...... most were 36-75 seconds with the odd very early sunrise/late sunset shot up to 4 minutes.

colour balance tends to get rather odd with the very long exposures  ...... lack of sky reflection on the sea with both polariser and low light tends to make the sea very green, and then the rising/setting sun colours the rest of the image. Processing these seems to a bit of an art that I have yet to master, even with graduated filters to adjust WB in LR. Polarising very w/a images causes all sorts of problems which are hard to mitigate. I have come to realise that 'proper' landscape photography is not easy at all ....  :(

ps .... in the Playa de Silencio image it was so dark all you could faintly see was the white surf on the beach ....... the image was only just visible on the EVF with it set to +3EV compensation for composition .... focus was done with the top LCD screen read-out. The SL+zoom is a superb combo for landscape use.

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 5

apart from the daytime shots ...... most were 36-75 seconds with the odd very early sunrise/late sunset shot up to 4 minutes.

colour balance tends to get rather odd with the very long exposures  ...... lack of sky reflection on the sea with both polariser and low light tends to make the sea very green, and then the rising/setting sun colours the rest of the image. Processing these seems to a bit of an art that I have yet to master, even with graduated filters to adjust WB in LR. Polarising very w/a images causes all sorts of problems which are hard to mitigate. I have come to realise that 'proper' landscape photography is not easy at all ....  :(

Thank you.  Very useful information.

- Vikas

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Playa de Silencio SL+ WATE

attachicon.gifL1311439.jpg

Thanks for looking  :p

Really enjoyed your pictures from Spain Gordon..............do you mind sharing what ND you used to slow the sea down 3, 6 or 10 stop or was it a polarizer ??

Neil

• Like 1

colour balance tends to get rather odd with the very long exposures ...... lack of sky reflection on the sea with both polariser and low light tends to make the sea very green, and then the rising/setting sun colours the rest of the image. Processing these seems to a bit of an art that I have yet to master, even with graduated filters to adjust WB in LR. Polarising very w/a images causes all sorts of problems which are hard to mitigate. I have come to realise that 'proper' landscape photography is not easy at all .... :(

ps .... in the Playa de Silencio image it was so dark all you could faintly see was the white surf on the beach ....... the image was only just visible on the EVF with it set to +3EV compensation for composition .... focus was done with the top LCD screen read-out. The SL+zoom is a superb combo for landscape use.

Thanks for, in the absence of a better word, delicate images!

Regarding polariser: Is this something that is 'needed' for this type of photos?

I have played a little with pola-filters, also with high-quality filters, but mis-colouring is often a problem (in my experience, not in your photos...).

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

Beautiful.  Incidentally, do you know a good place to stay if we visit the area?

- Vikas

Vikas

Thank you for your kind comment.  

This is this was taken in from the bedroom window where we stay http://www.brathay-lodge.co.uk/ in Ambleside.  Good for Windermere and the south of the lakes area.  Otherwise we normally stay in a cottage in Keswick as it's more dog friendly.  Lately we have been using this agency https://www.sallyscottages.co.uk/ but there are lots of others and also a good number of hotels, B&Bs and pubs that have rooms.

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 1

Vikas

Thank you for your kind comment.  

This is this was taken in from the bedroom window where we stay http://www.brathay-lodge.co.uk/ in Ambleside.  Good for Windermere and the south of the lakes area.  Otherwise we normally stay in a cottage in Keswick as it's more dog friendly.  Lately we have been using this agency https://www.sallyscottages.co.uk/ but there are lots of others and also a good number of hotels, B&Bs and pubs that have rooms.

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks very much for that!

- Vikas

Thanks for, in the absence of a better word, delicate images!

Regarding polariser: Is this something that is 'needed' for this type of photos?

I have played a little with pola-filters, also with high-quality filters, but mis-colouring is often a problem (in my experience, not in your photos...).

Thanks...... regarding your (and neil's) queries .......polariser mostly used to get rid or reflections .... so mainly water, although it darkens the sky and does reduce haze a bit. For this trip it was permanently on the lens(es), although you can rotate it to have no effect. With sub 35mm lenses you have problems with part of the sky/water not being fully affected/unaffected so it needs careful adjustment to avoid darker patches of sky. I used mostly 6 stop and occasionally 10 stop ND's once the sun started to appear. You need about 2-3sec exposures to give a blurred motion effect to water and 30sec+ to completely smooth out waves etc. I also used 3,4 and 5 stop graduated filters to bring down the sky exposure. Mostly f11-22 to get maximum DOF ....... I didn't see much observable reduction in detail from diffraction even at the smallest apertures on the 24-90. All were taken with the 24-90, WATE and a few with the Voigt 12/5.6. You need to be very well organised and methodical with this type of photography and be aware of changing light and conditions. Well worth doing a workshop or two to see how it should be done and sort out the optimum gear that enables you to do it well and get good results.  Nothing worse than getting up at 4am and standing in bog in Scotland for hours only to miss the 2 minutes of sunrise because you have got the wrong effing settings and filters on the camera.....  :huh:

• Like 4

Anticipating Halloween tonight!

Noctilux

• Like 11