Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You're too modest, Greg.

I have no difficulty with people looking at what's on offer, and saying "Not for me".  There is no 50 Summilux-SL in my future, as I'm quite happy with what I have.

I'm not sure I agree with your "only two uses for f/1.4".  Each lens has its own fingerprint, and can be used in different ways - you seem to be limiting your statements to the benefit of the widest aperture.  I use the "ridiculous" Noctilux as my 50mm prime on the SL.  As Erwin Puts observes, it pretty much matches the 50 Summilux at its apertures, but has the benefit of opening up a bit further when needed.  Of course, when opened up, you need to be careful with the depth of field (something I expect every Noctilux owner discovered with their first trial shots).  That's true of any fast lens used wide open - and actually, the problem is worse with the 75 Summilux and 90 Summicron (which have shallower depths of field wide open at minimal focussing distances than the Noctilux).

All lenses have their uses at all apertures, and each has its own character.  I don't really think it helps to add hyperbole to your comments - "ridiculous" being a case in point.  "It's not for me, for these reasons" garners more respect and is more informative.  For myself, my photography doesn't really need a fast AF 50mm prime; not does it need the hugely expensive APO 50 Summicron for its transparency and lack of distortion corner to corner.  These are undoubtedly great achievements, but they are of zero use to me.

In terms of preference, I never use hyperfocus.  I see little point in having a lens with amazing resolution, and not getting depth of field and best plane of focus right; and I'm not at all a fan of fly-by-wire focussing.  I will get used to it with the zooms, but I love the direct focussing of the M primes.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

APO-50 or 24-90, I honestly don't remember and I forgot to include the EXIF data on the export.  I'm pretty sure it's APO-50.

I've found the 24-90 to be very strong between 60mm-80mm and f5.6 - f8.  And I consistently keep the APO between f4 and f5.6.  

I also made some use of the SL's e-shutter was was very happy with the results.  I couldn't tell a difference in image quality vs. the mechanical shutter.

I shot probably half of my photos at this car show in 4:3 crop mode.  

I'm having a hard time believing that I could get better results out of a GFX 50S or X1D.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Joshua Lowe
  • Like 2

"It sounds like... blah." "It seems like ... blah." So, in other words, you object to a lens you have no experience using or understanding because you don't want to pay for it. How droll. The solution is, hold your breath: Don't buy it.

Sheesh. Do you even own an SL?

For this lens to make sense as a product, SL owners have to want it and buy it. Period.

Because it costs twice as much as a 1.4 M which would be understandable if the AF performance was really good, but it sounds like it isn't, it sounds like it's poor, which sort of negates why they made it in the first place. It might also make sense if the IQ gain was was a whole order of magnitude greater. But it's not, it's marginal as demonstrated by the fact that everyone keeps banging on about MF(?) charts and graphs rather than sticking two like for like images side by side and everyone going 'wow', the improvement is self evident. It's not self evident. Sometimes some of the images even look pretty ropey. I've got better from my 20 year old film Hasselblad with $600 lens. If you have to refer to charts to prove your point, your point is pointless. It also doesn't tell you what you really need to know, which is simply to just look at the image and see for yourself.

For this lens to make sense, it had to have excellent AF performance as well as weather sealing otherwise it's a vanity project, it is, as you say, a lens simply because people want to buy an SL lens. The lens is pointless for anything other than vanity as is the f-stop (of course this isn't true if what you want to do is photograph things just for the sake of photographing lovely creamy bokeh but no one with any taste or professional need does that do they).

If you actually need a higher quality image for commercial work then you're not going to shooting 24mp 35mm FF, you're going to be looking to MF digital.

Edited by ramarren

Sheesh. Do you even own an SL?

I do and I love what it does with M lenses. I am sorry for being a bit contentious on this thread. I can't say I don't mean to be because clearly I do, but I do do it with sincerity and respect. I am prepared to remain open minded on the 50SL and will find the opportunity to try it for myself very soon.

In the meantime, I love the light in this image.

33042500551_91af29bbc4_b.jpgDaddy, Ethan, Isaac, Mummy (4) by Greg Turner, on Flickr

And how the quality of light can turn the ordinary into something a bit more special.

32619959104_92f017f2ed_b.jpgsink by Greg Turner, on Flickr

And the simplicity and orderliness of the grocery store on the edge of Monaco really intrigues me.

32548460315_5a202b3e0a_b.jpgNesquilk Makes Milk Fun by Greg Turner, on Flickr

• Like 6

24-90

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It was a bleak and dull afternoon yesterday, with leaden light and heavy clouds. But I had promised myself to take the new lens out for a walk so I went anyway. It was a good walk.

All photos with Leica SL + APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm f/2.8-4 zoom, hand-held:

33423429381_ffacd30810_o.jpg

ISO 800 @ f/5 @ 1/320 @ 180mm

33423426851_bfcde653c5_o.jpg
ISO 320 @ f/3.5 @ 1/320 @ 178mm

33395445842_3a5da55ff0_o.jpg
ISO 400 @ f/3.8 @ 1/320 @ 245mm

33395444662_084cf55a58_o.jpg
ISO 640 @ f/7.1 @ 1/500 @ 242mm

33395443842_949a2e36ce_o.jpg
ISO 500 @ f/7.1 @ 1/250 @ 124mm

33423420071_a3e5062336_o.jpg
ISO 1600 @ f/8 @ 1/500 @ 280mm

33395441572_50b27e43c4_o.jpg
ISO 640 @ f/4 @ 1/500 @ 280mm

33423417961_f887d31b6b_o.jpg
ISO 3200 @ f/6.3 @ 1/400 @ 203mm

Even after familiarizing myself with it for a few days around the house, the SL90-280 remains a large and heavy lens. I carried only it in my hand, the Tenba Cooper 13DSLR bag (with nothing else in it) slung across my back just in case my wrist needed a rest. I didn't need to use the bag. I took about 30 exposures on a half-hour walk; I think there might be another five or eight worth processing. 

For the first half of the walk, I had the focusing set to auto on the half-press of the shutter release; after that, I switched it to MF with AF on demand on the joystick button. I still prefer this latter focusing setup: peaking is set to enable automatically as I turn the focusing ring and the SL's display of peaking with this lens is just about perfect to my eye. 

The lens performs very well, to my eye, and is a pleasure to work with even for a walk like this. That said, I'm sure I'll most likely use it more with a tripod setup and more studied shooting endeavors. And yes: I think it's time to have another customized insert made for the Pelican rollaway case. Even a backpack with this large and heavy an equipment load will wear on me too quickly. 

enjoy! 

Excellent results from hand-holding this beast. Can you see yourself taking it on safari? I ask because I have been contemplating getting into this system versus the Hasselblad and am impressed with the results you achieved. Clearly a tripod is out on safari given the vehicles one is on so handholding is the only option. Thanks.

• Like 1

I've carried the 90-280 and an SL in one hand plus the neck strap for outings of an hour or two and survived.   I don't think it is much more of a beast than other lenses capable of going out to more than 200 mm.  It certainly hand-holds well, so a cushion on the window's edge should be sufficient support, and it is effective at short distances.  There are several frequent contributors to this forum who go on safaris.  I defer to them, but my impression is that activity close to the car is a more frequent situation than distant sights that require 500-1000 mm focal lengths.

scott

35 1.4 fle

Pre dawn

35 1.4 FLE

The very early morning commute begins

clubhouse on the lake

Isn't that the 'real WASP stronghold' in the film 'Wolf of Wall Street'?

No, it is not.

I do not recall what that club may have looked like, but this one is in south Florida. It probably appears more grand in the photo than it is in reality, though I am not trying to diminish it, either).

Rob

Shooting some live music last night, full album here

all these are the 50mm Summilux SL

http://www.danielcook.com/events/gt-open-mic-session-the-britannia-guildford/

33605118515_dcc1615d1e_b.jpgbritannia_2203-1 by dancook1982, on Flickr

33476188221_23ec6a84eb_b.jpgbritannia_2203-3 by dancook1982, on Flickr

33476179961_c843355737_b.jpgbritannia_2203-38 by dancook1982, on Flickr

32762643114_779c5799d2_b.jpgbritannia_2203-30 by dancook1982, on Flickr

33448601542_50db39626e_b.jpgbritannia_2203-29 by dancook1982, on Flickr

32762627054_3543fce1f3_b.jpgbritannia_2203-13 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Edited by dancook
  • Like 4

Evening in Snug Cove, Bowen Island, BC.

Edited by MarkinVan
  • Like 13

24-90

• Like 4

Excellent results from hand-holding this beast. Can you see yourself taking it on safari? I ask because I have been contemplating getting into this system versus the Hasselblad and am impressed with the results you achieved. Clearly a tripod is out on safari given the vehicles one is on so handholding is the only option. Thanks.

I bought the SL90-280 because I could not do hand-held shooting with the long lenses I had and get the quality I want consistently. Without IS, I rarely shoot more than 180mm hand-held and my success rate is poor because it's too easy for images to be ruined by camera motion. With the SL90-280, I can shoot hand-held even at the longest focal length with consistent and successful results, while still having some flexibility as to lens opening and exposure time. So yes, if I were to go on safari, the SL90-280 would certainly be an asset in my kit. 

• Like 1

A few random images from Bologna from the other week ....... religion and food seem to be rather predominant ......  :huh:

All 24-90 or SL 50/1.4...

• Like 7

part of the 4km arcaded walk up to the hilltop Santuario Madonna di San Luca .... and yes, it is like this all the way, with the last few km rising 300m

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 6