flash for M240 {merged}

cirke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This answer from Metz

Thank you very much for your e-mail enquiry of 30 October 2014 and your interest in our products.

Unfortunately, flash units of type mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital and mecablitz 26 AF-1 digital are NOT suitable for Leica digital cameras of M-series, e.g. Leica M (type M 240).

For the mentioned digital camera "Leica M" (M 240) we may recommend you the flash unit "mecablitz 76 MZ-5 digital" (Metz article number 007625204) of our current product range:

Description du produit: Metz

For connecting the flash unit mecablitz 76 MZ-5 digital to digital cameras of Leica M series (e.g. Leica M 240) we recommend you to use an adapter "SCA 3502M5" (Metz article number 00033502A).

Other suitable dedicated system flash units or SCA flash units are not available in our current product range for running with the digital cameras of Leica M series.

Alternatively we may recommend you also so-called "Automatic flash units" (with so-called automatic flash control mode A) for running with digital camera "Leica M":

"mecablitz 20 C-2" (Metz article number 002022090):

"mecablitz 36 C-2" (Metz article number 003622092):

These flash units are equipped with only a centre contact in connecting foot. By this centre contact it's only possible to release the flash unit by the camera. Special flash functions are not available. The flash units are equipped with a built-in light sensor for controlling the light output intensity of flash light. However, the settings for ISO and aperture (f-stop) have to be done manually on flash unit.

For more information to the above mentioned flash units the multilingual instruction manuals are ready for download on our web site:

mecablitz: Metz

However, we may also recommend you the following special Leica flash units for the digital camera "Leica M 240".

"Leica SF24D":

Flash SF24D // Flash // Équipement // LEICA M // Photographie - Leica Camera AG

"Leica SF-26":

SF 26 flash // Technical Equipment for Leica T // Leica T // Photography - Leica Camera AG

"Leica SF58":

FLASH SF58 // Flash // Équipement // LEICA M // Photographie - Leica Camera AG

We hope this information has been of help for you and remain

With kind regards

Wolfgang Becker

Technical Support

Metz-Werke GmbH & Co KG

Ohmstraße 55, D-90513 Zirndorf

• Like 2

Use a Oly fl flash works perfect! I added from cowboy studios a wireless (maybe) 30.00 I can remember but works great off camera. With the oly fl you only need about a quarter or lees power indoors in a darkish room at 8 feet so the recycle time is very fast and you can shoot 400 or so images on one set of dbl aa's.

If someone now makes a twin hot shoe that would be nice to use the evf and the transmitter mounted on the body.

The SF26 flash output can be controlled from the M(240). It is not as precise as a SF58, but it does work.

Set a shutter speed so you are not operating in "A" mode.

Set exposure compensation on the camera's menu. You will see that the shutter speed will not change (of course, it is set manually) and with a constant f/stop the light output of the SF26 can be varied.

I know it is not perfect. But the great limitation of the SF24D was no bounce flash unless you attached it via a flash extension cord and handheld it. Not perfect either. In my view direct flash is often quite horrible, especially with people shots, so the SF26 is an improvement.

Why Leica has not explained how to use this flash on M digitals is a mystery. They could easily release something on their website instead of making us wonder.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If it supports Olympus it will support certain Leica cameras like the Digilux2.

The flash will probably have limited functionality on most Leicas.

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just received the little Metz 26 AF (olympus/panasonic/leica - according to BHPhoto) , but TTL doesn't seem to work at all. Does anyone know if I can get this flash to work with the M240?

The pin configuration seems different and I'm guessing the TTL is therefore not possible.

Is there an adapter hotshoe, that could convert from the Leica hotshoe dots to the flash foot pins? That could be a great little gadget as you could then presumably use any combo of flash with that metz pin configuration?

Perhaps I'll have to ebay the Metz 26 and stomach three times higher price for the Leica SF26 (the same flash made by Metz but with the Leica badge which I'll have to tape over).

Not on TTL. You need to use "A". The only flashes that can fully handle M-TTL are the Leica flashes SF 24 and SF 58.

It is by no means certain that the SF 26 flash will work fully on an M camera, as it is configured for the Leica T.

• Like 1

I think I'm right in saying that the appropriate SCA system version for Panasonic clone Leicas is different from the Leica M version (which latter is SCA 3502). It looks as if this flash comes in different models with the relevant SCA adapter integral to each, rather than being, as with the older Metz units, a generic flash unit with a separate (and therefore exchangeable) SCA adapter added on. So I fear you may be stuck!

So from reading this, it seems it's best just to use the Leica branded flash for a full functioning flash..a-priority to manual for instance? Can I use a trigger with these so I can use my Canon flashes for a multi-flash setup?

So from reading this, it seems it's best just to use the Leica branded flash for a full functioning flash..a-priority to manual for instance? Can I use a trigger with these so I can use my Canon flashes for a multi-flash setup?

Difficult with Canon as they don't have a manual receiver built in. The appropriate Canon adaptor, like the STE3, con fire them as manual guns but you'll need to change power at each gun. You could also use a system like the pocket wizards or Cactus trigers where each flash sits on a receiver to trigger.

It can work but it's a cludge. Personally I just use an Elinchrom ranger system for off camera flash, with a skyport, and a Leica 58 for TTL.

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...

What else can one connect to the SCA port of the multifunction grip on the m240, if one wants full functionality? Paying £900 for the SF58+bar with chord seems excessive, even for Leica, particularly when Metz seems to be bust, so it seems unwise to count on longer-term support / compatibility.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Not on TTL. You need to use "A". The only flashes that can fully handle M-TTL are the Leica flashes SF 24 and SF 58.

It is by no means certain that the SF 26 flash will work fully on an M camera, as it is configured for the Leica T.

Thanks!

Do you, or any other know if (the new?) SF-40 can "fully handle"  M-TTL on M-240?

According to this site it should: http://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-sf-40-flash

Btw; its a bit annoying that the Leica site cannot provide this information, http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/Technical-Equipment/SF-40-flash.