Which Leica M camera would you buy?

LUF Admin

If you had to decide again: Which Leica M camera would you buy?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to decide again: Which Leica M camera would you buy?

• Leica M (Type 240)
    • Leica M-P (Type 240)
    • Leica M Monochrom
    • Leica M-E
    • Leica M7 / MP
    • Other Leica Camera
    • Other Manufacturer

An a-la-carte film MP to indulge myself even though another film Leica is the last thing I need as I have my father's IIIc which I still use to keep it alive along with M3, M4-P, M5, M6.

I much prefer the look of darkroom prints from film than inkjet. I have a M240 but only use it for snapshots and family. I thought I would get into digital photography but find the images sterile and computer work a mighty pain in the butt. Should have spent the money on the a-la-carte MP instead.

I voted for the new M-P, which I would have bought if I'd been in the market for a Leica now rather than 5 months ago when I bought the M240.

I'd love an MM, but it'd have to be as a second body, so I'll wait to see whether a new monochrome appears out of Wetzlar in the next year or two. For what it's worth, informed rumour has it that there's something "very exciting" in the pipeline for 2015 but, hey, who knows.

I use an M4, M4P, and have had a couple 2's and a 3. I think I would grab another M4.

I had a M4-2 for a time, but the build quality wasn't that great, now I have the M7. It's great if I can find batteries. So the M4 is looking good, but this M-A is interesting too.

Well I think the M (240) will actually be the last leica I buy as it meets most of my needs and to be honest I real couldn't justify spending the money again on another leica with some of the excellent alternatives that are now out there

Blasphemy!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I think the M (240) will actually be the last leica I buy as it meets most of my needs and to be honest I real couldn't justify spending the money again on another leica with some of the excellent alternatives that are now out there[/quote

I am with you on this one David.

Having an M7 and the M240 thats enough M's for me, I voted for other.

I just prefer the SLR's to much.

My daughter likes the M240, probably because of it's look so I promised her if she passes her university exams I will give it to her, probably she will soon get tired of it and go back to her Canon SLR...Lol

Long live the Leica R.

Ken.

The question is not answered easily.

My hearts beats to own an M-P 240 although I happily own a M-E.

I voted for the M-E but I wish it had increased ISO sensitivity and video. I currently use my Canon 5D2 for video and animation but I continually wonder would the M 240 do the trick?

Would I trade in and up? mmm:cool:

Well I think the M (240) will actually be the last leica I buy as it meets most of my needs and to be honest I real couldn't justify spending the money again on another leica with some of the excellent alternatives that are now out there[/quote

I am with you on this one David.

Having an M7 and the M240 thats enough M's for me, I voted for other.

I just prefer the SLR's to much.

My daughter likes the M240, probably because of it's look so I promised her if she passes her university exams I will give it to her, probably she will soon get tired of it and go back to her Canon SLR...Lol

Long live the Leica R.

Ken.

Lucky Daughter:)

If I were purchasing now I would still go for the M240, because there are demos available for at least $2000 less than a new M-P and I don't consider any of the M-P's added features (2 of which are in fact re-added deletions from prior models) worth $2000 to me. By the time demos of the M-P are in plentiful supply it's likely the next-generation M will be close to its release, and those M-P demos will still probably be $1000 more than a similar demo M240.

Well I have an M9, M240 and Monochrom. I love the handling of the M240, it delivers excellent results but the images from the Monochrom never cease to amaze me.

For the quality of the output (and the discipline of it's use) it's the best camera I've ever owned. So for me it's still the Monochrom.

Amongst digital cameras I notice that the M/M-P:Monochrom ratio is 5.2:1 and M/M-P/M-E:Monochrom 5.5:1.

Edited by MarkP

I have an M3 and the M240. Between it and the M240 my needs are well met between the limits of my photographic capabilities and my financial capabilities.

I took the ancient 35 mm Summaron out today and realized that I don't even need any more lenses.

I have an M3 and the M240. Between it and the M240 my needs are well met between the limits of my photographic capabilities and my financial capabilities.

I took the ancient 35 mm Summaron out today and realized that I don't even need any more lenses.

But, JD, the question Andreas asked wasn't 'which Leica are you ring to buy' it was "If you had to decide again: Which Leica M camera would you buy?":o

Pete.

Edited by farnz

I voted M Monochrome.

It fulfilled most every wish for how I always used a M camera over the past 35+ years.

B&W. Rangefinder. Minimalist interface and stealth appearance. Higher ISO performance than any film (in practice, higher than I've ever actually needed).

The MM was a relief when introduced … it extracted me from the constant need to up-grade and got me off the expensive digital merry-go-round of frenzied speculation about what was next (replete with fear of falling behind or the nonsensical financial worries attached to obsolescence).

I don't want/need: video, more megs, CMOS, giant LCD especially one that folds out, massive buffer since I don't hose off shots, a longer life battery because I don't hose off shots, and the viewfinder is fine for spontaneous rangefinder work like it always has been.

For me, the MM is the first digital M that followed the concept of the film Ms as a long time partner in making images.

Thank you Leica.

- Marc

• Like 4

massive buffer since I don't hose off shots, a longer life battery because I don't hose off shots

IMO the Monochrom would benefit from a larger buffer (or, even better, a faster interface from buffer to card). I find I can fill the buffer when bracketing doing landscapes and it is not uncommon to find it fill when covering an event where, during certain periods, there is sufficient 'action' going on to necessitate taking a single shot every 3 or 4 seconds. Neither scenario is one I'd describe as "hosing". The current buffer is not a deal breaker for me but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't find it irritating when you go to take a shot and nothing at all happens other than seeing the buffer emptying symbols in the viewfinder flash at you – a very un-Leica-like moment.:eek:

• Like 1

I voted for the M type 240 since:

a) that's what I did buy (admittedly the M-P wasn't announced then);

B) it does most everything I want, bar a couple of niggles not addressed by the M-P;

c) I don't plan on replacing it in the next decade or, well, ever.

Mind you, I'm not giving away my M3 or Hexar RFs either.

...Mike

IMO the Monochrom would benefit from a larger buffer (or, even better, a faster interface from buffer to card). I find I can fill the buffer when bracketing doing landscapes and it is not uncommon to find it fill when covering an event where, during certain periods, there is sufficient 'action' going on to necessitate taking a single shot every 3 or 4 seconds. Neither scenario is one I'd describe as "hosing". The current buffer is not a deal breaker for me but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't find it irritating when you go to take a shot and nothing at all happens other than seeing the buffer emptying symbols in the viewfinder flash at you – a very un-Leica-like moment.:eek:

Never experienced a full buffer. I don't shoot landscapes with a M. I do shoot events with the MM, but my style isn't a shot every 3-4 seconds on a steady basis … something I picked up when shooting events with a film M where timing for changing film was a serious consideration.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

The MM is all I need for rangefinder photography. If I left Leica M it would be because I'm done with that type of work.

- Marc

I have an M240, and now that it's firmware is nearly perfect and the bugs are out, I think I will just leave good enough alone. I actually love the m240 and that "screw" in the front of the M-P is so sad looking. Hey, I should care about things like that; after all isn't the Leica also jewelry? :)