Which Leica M camera would you buy?

LUF Admin

If you had to decide again: Which Leica M camera would you buy?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to decide again: Which Leica M camera would you buy?

• Leica M (Type 240)
    • Leica M-P (Type 240)
    • Leica M Monochrom
    • Leica M-E
    • Leica M7 / MP
    • Other Leica Camera
    • Other Manufacturer

A camera like M9. Same weight, same design. Better CCD with 3200 ISO. Faster buffer e more silent shutter. Also a new monochrome with same sensor of today and better buffer e silent shutter.

In a word.....the perfect Leica M.

Edited by Sergius
  • Like 3

I now use an M, often with the EVF. Out of the currently available set this is the camera I'd choose again, given the funds. Sometimes I regret having sold the M8, given the quality of its B&W images.

Monochrom is too specialized for me; M-P does not add enough in terms of functionality or ergonomics.

I love the form factor of the Sony NEX-5N with EVF and the 40mm Summicron-C. This is one camera I'd have loved to buy from Leica, even if it does not have a FF sensor.

I don't use film at the moment; should I get the hang of it (again), I fancy I could give a different answer.

• Like 1

I would have liked to see the M-E included in the list rather than have to vote 'other Leica'.

My choice would be the ' new' M-E to be unveiled at photokina in September with the hope that it also has a new processing engine to improve JPEG quality.

• Like 1

The following camera from Leica would be ideal for me (having not too much experience with Leica):

- Size/Weight: max. M-P (240)

- Design: M-P (240), so no red logo, probably black logo (afaik there are open license questions for the black logo)

- Sensor: Sensor of M/M-P (240) or successor

- Price incl. tax: 6000 EUR (if w/o rangefinder), 7000 EUR (if with rangefinder), of course I prefer 500 EUR, but I want to stay realistic.

- must-have: excellent EVF with many information, in body (benchmark: Fujifilm X-T1 or better)

- nice-to-have: Rangefinder (no idea, if that would still fit into the body)

- must-have: ISO-wheel

- must-have: NO Video

- must-have: easy access to SD-card and battery

Regards,

Jacob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would take the M-P

i prefer the leica script on the top plate to the red dot, and the sapphire glass and extra buffer would come in handy (although i rarely fill the buffer on my M240, and haven't scratched it yet either)

• Like 1

I currently use an M but if, say, my Leica gear had been stolen and my insurance paid out then it would be an M-P but I am put off by the Cyclops screw, which makes the camera look hurriedly finished.

A silver chrome M that looks like a silver chrome M9-P is the camera I would like to buy (with the best EVF available).

Pete.

• Like 1

Guest camera man

I would buy and will purchase a second MP body in the near future. The other models will for ever become out dated! Only a film MP camera is perfection!

• Like 1

An MP. Have never bought a Leica digital body.

Ah well, maybe I would have chosen that option if the question was which Leica I would like to keep if I could only keep one. Then it would be my MP for sure. :p

I can see myself getting a new digital Leica in the future, yet I probably won't add another filmbody. Have an M6 next to my MP and two is enough for me to work comfortably with. They will also most probably outlive me. I'm not so sure about my digital M...

my dream M is the Monochrome. I wish it wasn't so expensive though.

it isn't as much a matter of "if I had to decide again", but instead if I had the means to – or even willing to spend so much on a camera.

my m9 I bought second hand. I only bought my MP brand new because I want it to stay as a legacy to my kids and grandkids :) digital bodies don't have that kind of permanency.

M9 and MM, both with CCD sensors and as they were released by Leica. No need for CMOS, video, LV, etc. Call me old fashioned, but they just distract from taking photos and unnecessarily add complexity / things to break and malfunction.

I'm getting a bit tired of Leica making model changes every other day (forgetting about special edition releases, which because of collectors, I get) just to keep up with Nikon, Canon and other mass producers. They should stop running so scared and focus on what they do best - mechanical Ms, lenses and digital Ms without all the fluff. They can and will never be all things to all people, and trying to do so has diluted the brand IMHO (the T is a curious creature and an evolutionary dead end for serious photographers who have access to M bodies and lenses).

Edited by rcerick
  • Like 1

I would like a reduced Monochrom. No screen (maybe a M8 style battery/counter), No light meter, No Aperture Priority, MP sized.

Digital M-A (M-Da)

I would go with a M-A (or M4), but film is getting difficult to find, and even harder to process.

Edited by swamiji