The Noctilux f1 is still magical

atournas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It pains me to say it but my 56mm F1.2 Fuji X lens blows my 50 F1 Noctilux completely away - sad but true the Fuji is a much better lens and much cheaper.

There is more to a lens than sharpness.

The Noctilux f/1 bugs are actually features sought-after by many.

• Like 5

There is more to a lens than sharpness.

The Noctilux f/1 bugs are actually features sought-after by many.

The f/1 Noctilux is a different breed of lens from the 0.95 ASPH. The 0.95 is more technical in its rendering; the f/1 is more interpretive in its rendering.

As with all M lenses, a discerning photographer will perform his due diligence before spending thousands of dollars on a lens. Given the price of Noctilux lenses - no matter which version is under consideration - that wisdom is doubly true.

• Like 4

Thanks. My apologies, I should have been clearer; I meant side-by-side comparisons. I didn't find that through Madame Google.

However, having had a look at the lenses for sale at Newoldcamera it seems that the 1st version and the 2nd+3rd versions are very similar-looking. It appears the biggest difference in terms of outward design is the groove for attaching the hood. But length/width-wise they are otherwise very similar. Would this be correct?

• 6 years later...
On 7/9/2014 at 5:41 AM, Herr Barnack said:

@TheGodParticle,

In your post #38, images #1 and #4 are my favorites - just outstanding!

This thread has jump started my interest is shooting with my f/1 Noctilux which has been in hibernation of late. It has also renewed my commitment to really learning this lens, and has carved in stone my commitment to never let this masterpiece in glass slip away.

Thank you, I just saw this reply ... about 7 years later 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I totally agree, I think the Noctilux 50mm f1 E58 has some magic that is difficult to find in any other lens. That's why I ended up purchasing one. Mandler certainly was a genius lens designer. My lens is 1st version of f1 (made in Canada) and in pretty good condition, optically good, no scratches, haze, fungus etc., but it has some dust inside that does not seem to affect the photo. However, the focus ring is somewhat stiff. This is understandable because of the age of the lens.

Could you experienced Leica people tell me if I could get this lens serviced by Leica and who should I contact? I would be willing to pay the price.

Thank you!

• Like 2

Some nice photos taken in Tokyo with Leica M5 and Noctilux f1 by a Flickr user Toshihiro Oshima:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 1joel1 said:

It is indeed, but I haven't sued mine in over 3 years. That's why it is for sale at FM. Will I miss it, undoubtedly, but it is hard to just keep it around and not use it.

Joel

@1joel1  I think I can speak for all of us here in saying we sympathize with your misfortune. 

As for me, I have never felt the need to sue my 50 f/1 Noctilux...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, ppkarppi said:

I totally agree, I think the Noctilux 50mm f1 E58 has some magic that is difficult to find in any other lens. That's why I ended up purchasing one. Mandler certainly was a genius lens designer. My lens is 1st version of f1 (made in Canada) and in pretty good condition, optically good, no scratches, haze, fungus etc., but it has some dust inside that does not seem to affect the photo. However, the focus ring is somewhat stiff. This is understandable because of the age of the lens.

Could you experienced Leica people tell me if I could get this lens serviced by Leica and who should I contact? I would be willing to pay the price.

Thank you!

ppkarppi —

I have the f1 version 3 which had a stiff focus ring, especially near infinity. I sent it to DAG for a full CLA and I am very happy with the results. Hope this helps.

mon10a

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2021 at 3:21 PM, Herr Barnack said:

@1joel1  I think I can speak for all of us here in saying we sympathize with your misfortune. 

As for me, I have never felt the need to sue my 50 f/1 Noctilux...

Unfortunately, I am unable to edit for my pedantic fiends (oops, did it again)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...