DMR - Dead...So do I throw it away ?

Tim Aston

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking more an more of one should not start a kickstarter projekt "New DMR for the Leica R8/R9". Question is how much anyone would be prepared to pay for such a product. I already had the idea to source the sensor from CMOSIS to make it more "M-like", they have both a 35MP and a 70MP "full frame" sensor that looks promising. Maybe cannibalising an M (240) could also work. Would be a cool project, just not sure if I have the time for it :).

Problem is that you can't fit a full size sensor into the R8/9 film gate. That's why the DMR was a special 1.37x crop.

Ok, I didn't realise that, makes life harder then. But can the filmgate be modified? I'm only interested in the R8/R9s shutter, ROM-electronic and lightmeter.

I've been thinking more an more of one should not start a kickstarter projekt "New DMR for the Leica R8/R9". Question is how much anyone would be prepared to pay for such a product. I already had the idea to source the sensor from CMOSIS to make it more "M-like", they have both a 35MP and a 70MP "full frame" sensor that looks promising. Maybe cannibalising an M (240) could also work. Would be a cool project, just not sure if I have the time for it :).

Don't waste people's money - send it to me and I'll do something much more worthwhile with it :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I need some input about a DMR that is working but now the shutter won't trip on the R8 after separating the R8 and the DMR.I have reset the film transport before reconnecting the  two. I activated the rewind in error and had a day of motor winding before I remembered I had am an error. I did take some images,which were great, before the rewind error.  

I have reformatted the card,both in the camera and the computer.

I still have 2 blinking 00 in the view finder, film not loaded correctly. 

I have done everything except physically take the DMR off the hinge and put the filmgate back on. 

From all the reading I have done it sounds like maybe an alignment issue with the DMR door. I am reluctant to start bending door hinges!!

any ideas?

Is the shutter half open/ fully open or closed?

Have you accidentally slid the multiple exposure slider over under your right thumb?

Is the shutter wind lever half out?

If all else fails take the DMR back off using the little red gizmo, reattach the film back and try firing the shutter then. If that's ok, reassemble the DMR back

Charlie,

It worked! I put the film back on a tripped the shutter a couple of times. The blinking 00 had disappeared on the switch. It took a while to put the DMR back on,it's not like its something you do all the time. The back finally slipped back on and voila'!! 

It's working great!!! 

Thanks

Wayne

Charlie,

It worked! I put the film back on a tripped the shutter a couple of times. The blinking 00 had disappeared on the switch. It took a while to put the DMR back on,it's not like its something you do all the time. The back finally slipped back on and voila'!! 

It's working great!!! 

Thanks

Wayne

Great news!

Charlie

• 7 months later...