M9 red line/dead pixel thread

vdb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What utterly bullshit to blame the Red Line problem on astrophysics! What other camera brand got this problem? Along with my M8 and I have had a Canon 1Ds II and III, before that a 1Ds. These cameras never showed any red line problem. We just heard that RD1 even had an up grade fix.

We've had this discussion before on RFF. You simply refuse to believe all scientific evidence, articles by sensor makers, even NASA. <sigh> Are you going to suspend gravity now because your Leica fell on the floor and your Canons were never knocked off the table?:rolleyes:

...sure, we have had this discussion before....

I shall not exaggerate the problem. By all means.

I had the problem with my M8. I sent the camera to Solms, through the Norwegian dealer. It was returned and the problem never occurred again. I was charged nothing. - I have regular contact with the guy who bought it 2.hand from me. Nor has he had the problem reoccurring. So far, at least. Now this camera is five years old and has close to 20.000 exposures clocked.

My M9, which I bought 2.hand and which had just as many exposures clocked as my M8 when I sold it, has performed perfectly. Even though I use it more frequently on high ISO settings.

My wife and I are going on a cruise early next year. I intend to take my M9 along. Compared to my 1Ds III it is far smaller. I trust that my M9 will perform flawlessly.

But 'remapping', isn't that something that can be done by software? What is needed to perform a remapping? Well, it is not a screwdriver, is it? Or we could all have done it ourselves.

Could we buy a software program to install on our PC/Macs that does the job?

• 1 month later...

Yep, had it too. Camera duly sent off to Germany for re-map. The lens cap on and a 30sec exsposure sounds odd but worth a go. Can a firmware update fix this? Only Leica HQ know! If so, I'd have thought Leica would issue a user-fix to avoid the M brand becoming tarnised.

No - it is an in-camera function of the firmware.. Some cameras already offer this. But those are all CMos. I don't know, but I expect it is more difficult to implement on a CCD.

The vast majority of p&s cameras have CCD sensors. Is the problem common on them or do they deal with it differently than Leica does?

• 12 years later...
On 5/2/2010 at 2:04 PM, jaapv said:

There is a trick that sometimes works. Put a lenscap on, expose for 30 or more seconds three times or more. Sometimes that will revive a dead pixel.

This actually worked for me. I own a M9 and recently noticed a red thin vertical line at ISO 640 and above. I put on a lens cap, released the shutter at ISO 640 for about 45 seconds, did that 3 times. I repeated the same process at ISO 800, and ISO 1250, the red dead pixel line is completely gone. Also gone are a few random dead pixels I had noticed in dark images.

Thank you Jaap!

• Thanks 1