M9 red line/dead pixel thread

vdb

There is a trick that sometimes works. Put a lenscap on, expose for 30 or more seconds three times or more. Sometimes that will revive a dead pixel.

Jaap wakes up the dead :eek:

I have one!

It really only comes up when I have high ISO exposures, so only half the day!

hahaha.

I'm really not happy about this, I emailed Leica again yesterday whilst working on the computer for hours, I was really annoyed to find the blown neon green pixel and line on a bunch of great stage shots from Coachella Music Festival.

annoying isnt the word.

There is a trick that sometimes works. Put a lenscap on, expose for 30 or more seconds three times or more. Sometimes that will revive a dead pixel.

Tried it Jaap...thanks, but didn't help. Back to Leica today.

• 3 months later...

The more I read of this issue (which so far hasn't happened to me) the more I can't help but think how it would be a win-win situation for Leica if they just put a remapping utility into a firmware update (for M9 and M8). The Epson RD1-S has it and it works like a charm, and Epson incorporated it into a firmware upgrade for the original RD1. You just go into a menu and push a button and dead/hot pixels are mapped out in a few seconds.

The more I read of this issue (which so far hasn't happened to me) the more I can't help but think how it would be a win-win situation for Leica if they just put a remapping utility into a firmware update (for M9 and M8). The Epson RD1-S has it and it works like a charm, and Epson incorporated it into a firmware upgrade for the original RD1. You just go into a menu and push a button and dead/hot pixels are mapped out in a few seconds.

"Mapped out" means "rebuilt" or discarded"?

I'm all for that. Happened with my M* and now twice with my M9...each time is 2-3 wks for a fix. I was hoping to start this thread in order to get an idea of how many others are experiencing this...I suspect with time this will be a significant issue.

I sent my M9 to be repaired for this defect - just got it back today. Unfortunately, despite re-mapping sensor, the fault is still present. Interestingly, the column of pixels (blue in my case) are not always at the same vertical location in the photos, although they are all very near the centre horizontally.

Jon

• 1 year later...

Absolutely all the M8s I knew of had been to Solms for fixing of this problem. It was a problem that occurred about 12 months after launch, back in 2007. - My impression was that all the M8s that went to Solms were fixed. For ever.

Consequently, I waited a little longer before buying my M9. I must say that I am very disappointed that this 'Red Line' problem now pops up again. - Even on the 20.000 $ + S2 this problem pops up.

This is unacceptable. Leica must fix it!

I must say that I am very disappointed that this 'Red Line' problem now pops up again. - Even on the 20.000 $ + S2 this problem pops up. This is unacceptable. Leica must fix it!

Yes!!!! - Leica should repudiate astronomy!!

Well, astrophysics, anyway ;)

What Jaap means is that hot pixels are going to show up over time due to cosmic radiation, no matter what Leica does. Short of encasing the sensor in lead - and lead shutter blades would make for a very slow top shutter speed! :( .

http://www.harvestimaging.com/pubdocs/130_2009_IISW_cosmicrays.pdf