Error Code 2 with the Leica DMR

Bilderschmiede-HH

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own a Leica R8 and several lenses (most are APO-). A year ago I bought a Leica DMR to go digital with my R8 equipment. The DMR was used but still with 3 months garantee. I send the DMR with the R8 to Leica that they put it professionally together and to test the R8 with DMR. I was able to work with this for 3 months,- then a message on the screen of the DMR appears when switched on "Error Code 2". I took a look in the user manual, no description of Error Code 2. I wrote an email to Leica and waited a long time, after 2 weeks I wrote another mail with some Leica people in cc. I got an answer that Leica will do its best to fit that problem until summer. Summer comes and go, autumn comes and go, winter comes - still no news to Error Code 2.

A few days ago I got a mail by Leica: "Sorry but we must tell you that error code 2 means that there is a heavy error in the electronic of the DMR. This defect isn't repairable due to missing spare parts.". I couldn't believe what was to read there. I asked back if that means that my thousands of Euros for the DMR are to hell now? I got the answer that Leica will search for a solution until end of first quarter 2011.

I'm a Leica customer since 25 years exactly don't to have such topics like now. Does anyone also have the "Error Code 2" topic with his DMR and how was the solution?

Best Regards

Hardy Bongartz - Hamburg - Germany

Edited by Bilderschmiede-HH

First of all, welcome to the forum - I am very sorry that your first post is one full of woe.

Unfortunately, Leica have a real problem with this. As you may know, the DMR was not built by them, but for them by Imacon. When Imacon were bought by Hasselblad, the relationship with Leica went very sour. This is why parts for the DMR are now more or less unobtainable - as you have found out. Even batteries are proving a problem to source.

Who knows what would be the case if Imacon had not been bought but as you have found to your cost, DMRs are becoming more and more difficult to service. There were rumours earlier in the year that Leica were cannibalising parts - presumably this means that they are buying up DMRs where they can to do so.

This is a real shame (as has been said many, many times before on here). The DMR remains a fantastic piece of kit, even 7 years on.

Hardy -

Welcome to theForum.

A year ago while traveling in the Falkland Islands and northern Chile my DMR began to function intermittently (eventually failing altogether) and displayed error code 2. Leica determined that the electronic motherboard needed to be replaced, which they did and charged me $1250 for the service.

Eventually you will need to have your batteries rebuilt. Leica has found a source in Germany to rebuild DMR batteries at the cost of $190 each. Michael Bass Designs in the US will rebuild DMR batteries for $100 each. To do so they open the DMR battery case and replace the cells with new ones, and then reseal the case.

Best of luck with your DMR repair, and please let us know what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new in this Forum, so I think it is a good thing to present myself now.

I'm 47 years old, I'm a theacher (Mechanichs, but I'm a hobbist in Electronics too), I live in Italy (Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, the extreme North-easter part of Italy) and, obviously, I on a bit of Leica stuff... R4, R6, R8, DMR, 12 lenses ( but not APO ones...).

I love Leica because of its product feels really heavy, have a very simle and elegant design and it is very good in its performance.

One month ago, my DMR displayed the "error code 2" for the first time. Panic.

Then I've done a simple experiment:

first: power-on the camera with standard procedure (put camera selector on "A" or other position different from OFF, then depress shutter button): "Error 2" message is displayed.

second: shut-off the camera by "brute force": with "Error 2" displayed and camera in on-state, pull-out the battery.

third: re-insert the battery: camera will be immediatly re-boot or may be necessary depress shutter button, but, on my R8, NO ERROR #2 ! Camera now works perfectly.

Howewer, shutting off and then on with regular procedure, brings to "Error 2" message again.

Another experiment:

first: power on the camera (standard procedure): "Error 2" will be displayed.

second: access menu' and set correctly date and time.

third: shut-off camera (as you like, standard or forced), wait one hour and turn camera on again.

fourth: access menu' and verify time and data: on my camera all ok.

fifth: shut-off camera and pullout the battery. re-insert battery after one hour, re-power camera and verify time-data : on my camera still ok.

sixth: power off camera, pull-out battery and wait one day.

seventh: re-insert battery, power-on camera and verify data-time: surprise: on my R8 now it is 00:00 and 01:01:2000. Data is lost.

Conclusion: the manual states that data- time data is retained for about 10 days even if battery is not inserted, but settings on my DMR are lost in one day.

I suspect the internal backup battery, not user serviceable.

I suspect that battery may be cause of displayng of "Error #2" code too (PC's often dsplays a message like CMOS battery low - press F1 to continue...).

Can you do these simple two tests on yours DMR's ?

Best regards

Luca

PS: Excuse for my poor English, but I teach Mechanics....

• 1 month later...
I own a Leica R8 and several lenses (most are APO-). A year ago I bought a Leica DMR to go digital with my R8 equipment. The DMR was used but still with 3 months garantee. I send the DMR with the R8 to Leica that they put it professionally together and to test the R8 with DMR. I was able to work with this for 3 months,- then a message on the screen of the DMR appears when switched on "Error Code 2". I took a look in the user manual, no description of Error Code 2. I wrote an email to Leica and waited a long time, after 2 weeks I wrote another mail with some Leica people in cc. I got an answer that Leica will do its best to fit that problem until summer. Summer comes and go, autumn comes and go, winter comes - still no news to Error Code 2.

A few days ago I got a mail by Leica: "Sorry but we must tell you that error code 2 means that there is a heavy error in the electronic of the DMR. This defect isn't repairable due to missing spare parts.". I couldn't believe what was to read there. I asked back if that means that my thousands of Euros for the DMR are to hell now? I got the answer that Leica will search for a solution until end of first quarter 2011.

I'm a Leica customer since 25 years exactly don't to have such topics like now. Does anyone also have the "Error Code 2" topic with his DMR and how was the solution?

Best Regards

Hardy Bongartz - Hamburg - Germany

Yes, this was happens to me 2 years ago now have to wait 6 months to get it fixed, fortunely it was under guaranty.

I cross the fingers every time I switch it on ...

Hardy -

Welcome to theForum.

A year ago while traveling in the Falkland Islands and northern Chile my DMR began to function intermittently (eventually failing altogether) and displayed error code 2. Leica determined that the electronic motherboard needed to be replaced, which they did and charged me $1250 for the service.

Eventually you will need to have your batteries rebuilt. Leica has found a source in Germany to rebuild DMR batteries at the cost of $190 each. Michael Bass Designs in the US will rebuild DMR batteries for $100 each. To do so they open the DMR battery case and replace the cells with new ones, and then reseal the case.

Best of luck with your DMR repair, and please let us know what happens.

Stuart,

for Europeans here is the address : 70 euros

preiswerte Akku Reparatur - Aufbereitung Akku - Akku sofort reparieren - Akkupack Aufarbeitung - Umweltschutz mit Akku Recycling - alten Akku aufarbeiten - defekten Akku aufbereiten - Akku Reparatur Mainz - Akku Reparatur Wiesbaden - Leica DMR 14447

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to you all! I am a pro photographer, working in Italy. Recently, I've lost the rear setting wheel and the set button of my DMR. Well, I wrote to italian Leica dealer end they told me I must send the DMR in Germany for the repair. Although I wrote directly to Leica assistance in Germany, and they told me they can repair my DMR, modifying the wheel (it was a defect of DMR that Leitz was repairing in warranty), but they can not ship me any spare parts (I've requested to send me the spare parts, so I can bring my DMR to an authorized laboratory in Italy for the repair, because I can't remain without my camera for a long time - I'm a professional!) I am now still waiting for a definitive answer, but he unfortunately told me that if I'll see the message "error code 2" on the display, it will not be anything to do: Leitz is no longer able to repair electronic damages on DMR, due to the spare parts, no longer furnished by the partner. I hope I'll never see this message, but I'm afraid that will be the end of DMR, inglorious for Leica! End of the R system, end of DMR, end of our thousands of Euros payed for the best digital results with Leitz fantastic lenses! Will we return to film?

Edited by admin

Keep your DMRs- I am trying to find a suitable motherboard repairer- this definitely seems feasible, although the price is unknown so far. With a bit of patience, should have some news after the Summer.....

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...
Okay, I've gotten tired of all the mis-information and naïve speculation on these Leica DMR Error 2 issues - First off, INSTALL a Sony lithium rechargeable battery - Sony part number  1-756-813-11 - This is a true RECHARGABLE solder-in battery. NOT a leaky unreliable "alkaline" like someone here suggested - You'll install this one for the Clock/Calendar memory issues. - Next, replace your Power Unit BATTERY Packs ! - Geesh, Error Code 2 is an insufficient voltage warning. - Who cares what some Non-Tech once said at Leica🤐

i.e. If your Ferrari doesn't start, you don't say that "Oh well it's UNrepairable" OR, "Replace the ECM Electronic Control Module/Brain" or  "Try the key, On-Off 5 times then pull the battery, THEN Repeat over & over..." - Com'on folks, try the simplest FIRST - - - REPLACE YOUR BATTERY ! - Even 'Ferrari' batteries don't last 10 years +😎

There you go, your built like a tank, Military grade electronics, DMR unit is back in service - - - Gentlemen, start your Ferrari's !
  • Like 1

Am 21.7.2022 um 16:06 schrieb TLCLeicaM3:
Okay, I've gotten tired of all the mis-information and naïve speculation on these Leica DMR Error 2 issues - First off, INSTALL a Sony lithium rechargeable battery - Sony part number  1-756-813-11 - This is a true RECHARGABLE solder-in battery. NOT a leaky unreliable "alkaline" like someone here suggested - You'll install this one for the Clock/Calendar memory issues. - Next, replace your Power Unit BATTERY Packs ! - Geesh, Error Code 2 is an insufficient voltage warning. - Who cares what some Non-Tech once said at Leica🤐

i.e. If your Ferrari doesn't start, you don't say that "Oh well it's UNrepairable" OR, "Replace the ECM Electronic Control Module/Brain" or  "Try the key, On-Off 5 times then pull the battery, THEN Repeat over & over..." - Com'on folks, try the simplest FIRST - - - REPLACE YOUR BATTERY ! - Even 'Ferrari' batteries don't last 10 years +😎

There you go, your built like a tank, Military grade electronics, DMR unit is back in service - - - Gentlemen, start your Ferrari's !

Hi - I am very interested in that topic - but how can you dismantle the DMR successfully  ?

regards

Roland

• Like 1