APO Summicron 50/2 ASPH: Central veiling flare / fogging

pajamies

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And the third triple is 50 Summicron, latest version.

Many conclusions can be drawn; for instance that APO-50 is marvelous at f2, that the Summilux has it's quirks, and that the ordinary Summicron is quite flare-prone.

When time permits, I will redo the test for scenes less demanding than the one shown here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by helged

will do, Jim, but I have not managed to create the central flaring - for rather ordinary lit scenes - that you demonstrated in post #85-89. It therefore looks like there are differences between the copies of the lens.

He said no filters & no hoods.

The APO-Summicron does indeed seem to hold up well

BUT

the problem with hand held is that even a few mm change of alignment of camera or brightlight source would be enough to significantly change the degree of flare.

Although very similar, the framing for these photographs is not identical so it's another variable which has confounded interpretation.

This needs to be reshot on a tripod so that the framing is identical for all of the photographs, and done quickly so the sun doesn't change position.

(and perhaps with another bright light source such as a desk lamp or streetlamp unless done quickly).

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

Did you use the stock hoods on the lenses for the tests, or did you shoot them without the hoods extended?

He said no filters & no hoods.

No filter, no hood.

The APO-Summicron does indeed seem to hold up well

Agree; I am increasingly satisfied with the lens.

the problem with hand held is that even a few mm change of alignment would be enough to significantly change the degree of flare.

This needs to be reshot on a tripod so that the framing is identical for all of the photographs.

Correct. But I have done several comparisons of this type lately, and they pretty much show the same. So I am confident in the results. For this particular scene, the sun was low on the sky, so the solar beam's incidence angle is closely the same for all images ('closely' = to the extent possible for me with a handheld camera; I used one of the corners of the 5x magnification on the EVF to fix the camera at the same point for all shots).

I will try to find time to redo these types of comparisons on tripod tomorrow, but no promise.

Also note that I have never seen the reduced contrast/flaring in the centre of the image as presented in posts #85-89. Never. I think this is good news for those that have an apparently ill-behaved lens - ship it to Solms for recalibration!

• Like 2

Looking at your series of shots, you did a very good job of aligning your frames. I have tried to do something similar but indoors with harsh exterior light. Not sure about my results. I cannot get the APO 50 to show some of the bad behavior others have experienced.

In all three tests your sensor has seriously struggled to cope with the lighting scenario.

Which was the purpose of the test; I searched for a scene where the 50-APO flared at F5.6/16 (but not at f2 which almost never happens :)), and then I ran through the test with several objectives for comparison.

I cannot get the APO 50 to show some of the bad behavior others have experienced.

Same here.

So it seems to be a property of the lens !

How unfortunate. It was my plan to have the 50 AA as my all around lens on my Leica M (instead of the bulky Noctilux). Now I'm hesitant.

Of course, I've only had the lens for three days, so we will see.

And as stated before, most of the shots are just awesome.

I hope the flare proves not to be a problem for you.

I have also been considering the 50 APO Summicron to replace my 50 Summilux ASPH as my standard 50. 'Improved' IQ, smaller and more compact. Really couldn't justify both as if I had the APO-Summicron I wouldn't be using the Summilux. Furthermore I have the 1.0/50 Noctilux E60 and I have never been interested in the .95 Noctilux.

As of this time I haven't even ordered a 50 APO-Summicron, and this was before the potential problem with flare. I want a lens that I can use at all apertures. I'm in no rush so I'll see how things pan out.

Good thing that you are in no rush to order Mark ;)

Literally 40% of the Aussie owners of this lens are posting in this thread already and the back order list is 800% of the current owner base too :eek:

More seriously people seem to be arriving at conclusions as to the characteristics of the lens from an even smaller test sample size in this thread.

Edited by hoppyman

I think I'll just stick with my 'crappy' 1.4/50 Summilux ASPH for the moment :p

My sentiment, too. The Summilux is much better in preventing flare than even the latest generation (non-Apo) Summicron 50. Basically no problems with flare. No problems with moire either, on the M9 (unlike the non-Apo Cron where I had moire all the time). As far as I am concerned, the Summilux 50 Asph is the only 50 worth having with the M9.

It is very hard to believe that Leica would release a lens design that would have such a significant flaw.

That is very different to the release of individual flawed lenses.

I've come to no conclusions as there is not enough data to make any determination.

My mind is open - I've just not committed yet.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1