“Rendering” of the M 35 APO Summicron?

Jon Warwick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A subjective question for sure, but for those of you that have the M 35mm APO Summicron, what is its “rendering” like - ie, very modern and just super sharp as the key aspect ….or does it blend in cinematic gentleness too that you think stands out, a bit like the S lenses achieve?

And I know they’re very similar in terms of resolution and lack of chromatic aberration, but if anyone also has an informed view of the “rendering” of the M 35 APO Summicron versus the Voigtlander 35/50mm APO Lanthars, that would be really interesting to hear too. Any observable “extra magic” with the Leica in that regard?

Edited by Jon Warwick

Jon Warwick,

If you are looking for answers to your questions, this might help you with this link below.   I also use the 35 Apo Summicron for my landscapes with a M10-R.  It renders crisp colors and resolution across the frame is superb.  The linked photographs should give you some insight to the lens rendering.  For me, this lens is worth it for landscapes when I need to take an M kit for really challenging terrain hikes and remote areas.  Perhaps others will chime in, but as always, it remains your decision.   r/ Mark

Try:  https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=4280&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Only the 3D Pop micro contrast, and smooth bokeh. Perfect lens I'd say for everything that I need to retain details and not so much about unique look. Looks stellar especially on monochrome. Would say it is softer than the SL version so not too sharp but still really sharp to my taste. I'd label it as "Perfect M lens for when I don't want anything magical."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PixelAllen said:

Only the 3D Pop micro contrast, and smooth bokeh. Perfect lens I'd say for everything that I need to retain details and not so much about unique look. Looks stellar especially on monochrome. Would say it is softer than the SL version so not too sharp but still really sharp to my taste. I'd label it as "Perfect M lens for when I don't want anything magical."

Wonder if one could say it is similar in that respect to the ZM 35/1.4, except Zeiss is brighter and bigger. I have used ZM and that's what came to my mind when I did, 3D pop and the micro contrast

On 1/20/2024 at 1:33 PM, Jon Warwick said:

A subjective question for sure, but for those of you that have the M 35mm APO Summicron, what is its “rendering” like - ie, very modern and just super sharp as the key aspect ….or does it blend in cinematic gentleness too that you think stands out, a bit like the S lenses achieve?

And I know they’re very similar in terms of resolution and lack of chromatic aberration, but if anyone also has an informed view of the “rendering” of the M 35 APO Summicron versus the Voigtlander 35/50mm APO Lanthars, that would be really interesting to hear too. Any observable “extra magic” with the Leica in that regard?

Technically superb, but I don’t think it’s as bitingly sharp (I probably mean contrast when I say sharp) as some other lenses, for example the Sony 35 G-master or the 35/1.4 M-mount Distagon. Compared to the Distagon I think the 35/2 APO is better with color correction - I see really zero color shifts nor any purple fringing at all. 

• Thanks 1

It’s just a modern, clinical, perfect in every way lens to use- 

The size and handling of the lens make it much more attractable for me over the CV 35 APO- Is that worth 7k more? Maybe maybe not- This lens is so small, I can get it into NBA games on a film or M digital body. 

I always have a hard time describing rendering but the transitions of the in focus to out of focus is perfect to my eyes, bokeh is always clean - A few examples of below- 

Both film shots are with 800T so the halation layer is removed. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perfect M lens for when I don't want anything magical“  or „…bokehis always clean“

It is so perfect in my exes, that it is worse to Summicron v1 or Summilux  pre. There is no portraits and street photography possible in my opinion…

I always prefer a(n older) summilux, because after f5.6 it‘s also always (razor) sharp…

I prefer the famous (Mandler and) Leica look over all. For people photography the apos are not suitable in my opinion.

It was a good experience and investment. After one year now I will exchange the apo for a SL3.

regards Chris

Edited by st4u
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1