SLR Magic 50mm f0.95 M Lens

janrzm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I prefer forums with a wider spectrum and open minded participants. If this is a forum for fanboys only[....]

You mean more gullible participants. If a number of buyers of report severe problems with a product, both in the construction and in the business model of the company that produces it, it is bound to raise some eyebrows if a new and unknown member suddenly comes in with a rather strident defense and does so over a number of forums.

I have been following this case without having any interest in buying either a Noctilux or a SLR Magic and the most friendly description I can come up with is: bitten off more than they can chew.

SLR Magic has been riding the Leica-is-overpriced hype and has found out the hard way that reality is different.

The designs for lenses like the Noctilux 0.95 and Apo-Summicron 50 have been lying on the shelf for many years before they were brought out. Because mechanical production methods had to catch up with the demands of producing the mount parts reliably to match the optical specification.

Does SLR Magic have access to the latest methods of producing the mount parts? No. Does SLR Magic use, for instance, laser interference to select and assemble the optical elements? No. The list goes on...

If they did, the lens would cost about the same as a Noctilux.

The idea of a schoolboy building a spaceship in his shed and beating NASA at their own game is, I fear, the stuff of trashy novels.

Companies like Zeiss or Olympus that do have the expertise and means to build such a lens have left the playing field to Leica. That is a strong indication that there is no commercial or technical gain in trying to compete.

Edited by jaapv
grammar
  • Like 11

I prefer forums with a wider spectrum and open minded participants. If this is a forum for fanboys only, sorry to interrupt you as I returned the M9 due to too many limitations

You'll find lots of support for non-Leica lenses by people such as Voigtlander and Zeiss. They not only offer a cheaper alternative to Leica, but their lenses are well made, work, and aren't held together with glue.

Don't know why everyone is so obsessed with not gluing things together, its held airliners together for quite a while. I remember my uncle who was an aero engineer lamenting the introduction of self tapping screws in aircraft, 'held together with rust'.

This thread seems to have degenerated into personal insult (again?), on the occasions I have visited it no further info about this lens seems to appear. Is it performing any function?

Gerry

• Like 2

Which it won't. Leica's business model is not committing suicide...

You really seem to believe Leica's camera business can survive also the next 50 years from rangefinder bodies and lenses only?

Does SLR Magic have access to the latest methods of producing the mount parts? No. Does SLR Magic use, for instance, laser interference to select and assemble the optical elements? No. The list goes on...

Doubtless you can proof that...:rolleyes:

The mechanical design has not changed so much over the last 50 years. Major improvement has been made with glass and coating and in this area the elements selected by SLR Magic do not have to hide from competition and as the fitting of aeroplane parts has developed so has it for lenses.

I am surprised to see how biased even moderators seem to be here.

OK, and you are here now because why?

Because I thought other participants are interested in additional user reports and not only in bashing equipment not carrying a Leica tag and users that decided to return their M9.

Good bye.

Edited by 3D-Kraft.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You really seem to believe Leica's camera business can survive also the next 50 years from rangefinder bodies and lenses only?

Doubtless you can proof that...:rolleyes:

The mechanical design has not changed so much over the last 50 years. Major improvement has been made with glass and coating and in this area the elements selected by SLR Magic do not have to hide from competition and as the fitting of aeroplane parts has developed so has it for lenses.

Because I thought other participants are interested in additional user reports and not only in bashing equipment not carrying a Leica tag and users that decided to return their M9.

Good bye.

A few points: the M10 is set in stone and yes, it is not an X100 on steroids. That would be indeed committing suicide.

SLR Magic has forgotten that it is not just putting some glass in a tube. A lens needs optical excellence AND mechanical precision.

• Like 3

Why shouldn't moderators have a voice? As long as the Moderator enforces the rules independent of their opinion (Which IMHO these Mods do), I don't care what their opinions are, and they should voice their opinion just as all other members.

Edited by swamiji
  • Like 8

Why shouldn't moderators have a voice? As long as the Moderator enforces the rules independent of their opinion (Which IMHO these Mods do), I don't care what their opinions are, and they should voice their opinion just as all other members.

Whether it's publicly acknowledged or not, moderators do sometimes make posts which savour of tribalism rather than acting as voices of restraint when discussions are getting 'hot under the collar'. Whilst fully entitled to their own opinions, there are times when - as my granny used to say - a silent tongue makes for a wise head.

Whether it's publicly acknowledged or not, moderators do sometimes make posts which savour of tribalism rather than acting as voices of restraint when discussions are getting 'hot under the collar'. Whilst fully entitled to their own opinions, there are times when - as my granny used to say - a silent tongue makes for a wise head.

And we the lay members are able to call the Moderators on it when or if they do. There are quite a few people here who have been around more than a few proverbial blocks when it comes to forums. Here more than most forums, Moderators are equal with the rest, and their voice only carries weight from their own experience.

Silence is acceptance.

• Like 4

Steve,

I have to offer my apologies. I've been contacted by Stephen who told me that that Andrew at SLR Magic informed him that they were using Loctite Blue thread locking compound to assemble the lenses. Yikes, it's worse than I'd thought.:(

Pete.

From the Website:

Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools.

Recommended For

• Use on metal fasteners 1/4' (6 mm) to 3/4' (19 mm) in diameter such as bolts on small engines, swing sets and furniture

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives

The problem people are having: this product was used incorrectly, should never have been used. Perhaps the lens that Steve Huff and Ashwin used were done with a different glue. Will be interesting to read what the response is to Ashwin.

• Like 3

Good bye.

:rolleyes: Sorry to be harsh but you must appreciate that your love affair with SLR Magic has little substance on the M forum for well documented performance reasons, is there anyone with an M camera who still has one and is not either selling or glad to be out of the ordeal ? To then attempt to turn the table accusing those who have probably been on more than one forum and have more than one manufacturers product in their kit bag as narrow minded or fan boys is not helping much....

Unfortunately the last two word were the most interesting with your response

• Like 3

Steve,

I have to offer my apologies. I've been contacted by Stephen who told me that that Andrew at SLR Magic informed him that they were using Loctite Blue thread locking compound to assemble the lenses. Yikes, it's worse than I'd thought.:(

Pete.

Is that why many had much more bluer skies than they thought they should get even without a polarizer?

Stephen Patterson explains the fundamental problem with this lens on GETDPI with this post:

The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Single Post - SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review

The SLRMagic lens is just too heavy for use on an RF Coupled M-Mount camera. the weight of the lens is too much to maintain proper RF alignment. The weight of the lens pushes against the RF pickup. Any movement of 0.01mm is going to knock RF alignment off. This is a 12 element lens! It is heavy. The 1950s Nikkor 5cm F1.1 had to be redesigned as it warped the mount of the Nikon RF. Canon changed the mount to a breech-lock for the 50/0.95. The SLRMagic 50/0.95 is heavy, and adding weight to make a proper mount would make the weight/alignment problem worse.

The SLRMagic lens is just too heavy for use on an RF Coupled M-Mount camera. the weight of the lens is too much to maintain proper RF alignment. The weight of the lens pushes against the RF pickup.

That doesn't make sense... just how heavy is this thing? Heavier than a 135 2.8? Heavier than a Visoflex with a large tele mounted?

Regards,

Bill

SLR Magic announces HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 M-mount lens: Digital Photography Review

It weighs about 1Kilogram. The 135/2.8 is listed at 730grams.

also- in the DPREVIEW, the "Cine" lens is shown with an RF coupling.

from the website:

• All RangeFinder M mount

• LM mount for cinematography

Seems backwards.

Edited by brianv

The bayonet has a spring mount, and with a heavy lens there is a possibility that the top of the lens will "lean" against the mount, and throw the RF roller out of adjustment.

• Like 2

[...]The SLRMagic lens is just too heavy for use on an RF Coupled M-Mount camera. the weight of the lens is too much to maintain proper RF alignment.[...].

That's a wake-up call, if true. What a terrific oversight.

Factoid:

• Like 1